BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Khador Assault Kommandos - What are they good for?

So I picked up some Assault Kommandos as part of an ebay deal, but the general internet consensus seems to be that they're not very good. What is the best use for them? And are they just bad for their points cost, or are there more serious problems? Lastly, the didn't come with the flamethrower unit attachments - are those a must have if I am using AKs?

They are just some of the many victims of better options in faction. For roughly the same points as 6 of them with their flamethrowers (which kinda seem like the draw to me) you could get winterguard with UA and Kovnik Joe. Or you could get black dragon IFP and standard. Or you could get doom reavers with a UA. Any of these choices are just going to be better for lots of reasons.

Basically it boils down to kommandos only being really useful against enemy infantry, and not particularly useful at that. They're very unreliable against any infantry with a buff to defense - which is most infantry. If their gas misses it doesn't scatter like most aoes so they have to hit directly with it. Any of the choices above either have higher stats so they're more likely to hit, or have cra/cma to increase their odds. Also all three of those can run dual roles and take out heavies or infantry and they also all have more staying power. def 12 arm 18 just isn't as tough as it sounds.

Its a shame really since they are such cool models.

They fill an interesting niche. I've been play testing them a lot lately and they are good with the Vlad's. They can hold down points very well with their shield wall while keeping models at bay with their 10" range. Yes they need something to help improve their value, however in specific situations they are very useful. Plus their flamer attachment is great and taking on infantry spam or in the case of high defense enemy, you walk him up and have him take a free strike, he blows up in a 5" AOE automatically lighting everything on fire under it except our beloved AK's because they are fire immune!

I always enjoyed them but, can understand where they fit in. The flame thrower attachment does really help them. Having a unit that is immune to most kinds of damage can come in very hand but, be situational at times. Having a tough (mostly) unit that has a pretty good range option can come in handy. I think where many people struggle with them is that they are not like most other Khador units (IE Ax-to-face units). Keep trying. And at the very least you may surprise some opponents when they hit the table!