BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

if your strength is higher than the opponent's toughness, u wound normally w/ a re-roll
    so vs. a gaunt would be 3+ w/ a re-roll if it fails, this is why poison weapons are good vs. anything w/ a toughness value

Scout

ahhhh, Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, think i need to re-read the rulebook!

Quote Originally Posted by entendre_entendre View Post
    if your strength is higher than the opponent's toughness, u wound normally w/ a re-roll
    so vs. a gaunt would be 3+ w/ a re-roll if it fails, this is why poison weapons are good vs. anything w/ a toughness value
    unfortunately, it would wound on whatever it says it wounds on. if it a poisoned weapon which wounds on a 4+ and you have str 4 and victim units t4, and you roll a 1, 2, or 3.. then you get to reroll..

if the toughness is 3, you still only wound on a 4+, re rolling 1,2, or 3. doesnt matter if you have a higher str, or not, you wound on the profile of the weapon.

"poisoned weapons" pg 42 MRB

The function of poisoned weapons is always 4+ (or whatever) unless you get to reroll as already stated.

What follows below is how my group plays, I am at work and cannot cite rulebook pages. Normally you would not choose to do this anyway.

You could decide to not use a weapon at all and fight with your bare hands. You would of course not get any off hand bonus, just the attacks on your profile. For instance my Blood Angel space marine tac squads. They come with a boltgun and boltpistol, neither of which can be used in close combat (pistol only gives offhand, doesn't do anything by itself) but they still get their 1 attack on profile. As I said you wouldn't normally want to do this because rerolling a 4+ is better than a 3+. But if your character had strength 4 and fought something with toughness 2 he would need 2+ to wound, and thats better than rerolling 4+. You would still need to take into account any lost attacks, but I think in the typhus example his weapon is 2 handed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Exlorn View Post
    The function of poisoned weapons is always 4+ (or whatever) unless you get to reroll as already stated.

What follows below is how my group plays, I am at work and cannot cite rulebook pages. Normally you would not choose to do this anyway.

You could decide to not use a weapon at all and fight with your bare hands. You would of course not get any off hand bonus, just the attacks on your profile. For instance my Blood Angel space marine tac squads. They come with a boltgun and boltpistol, neither of which can be used in close combat (pistol only gives offhand, doesn't do anything by itself) but they still get their 1 attack on profile. As I said you wouldn't normally want to do this because rerolling a 4+ is better than a 3+. But if your character had strength 4 and fought something with toughness 2 he would need 2+ to wound, and thats better than rerolling 4+. You would still need to take into account any lost attacks, but I think in the typhus example his weapon is 2 handed anyway.
    actually, you dont get to choose to use your bare hands anymore (or a rock, or purple *****, or whatever)..
    if you have a special close combat weapon, you have to use that. if you had two special CCW, then you could choose.. example is a power fist and power weapon. you could then choose to use either the power fist and go last, or the power weapon and strike at initiative..

but yeah, normally, you wouldnt even choose to do it anyway.. XD

Veteran-Sergeant

Whoops, completely forgot about your S having to be equal or higher than your opponents T to get the re-roll. Still worth it I reckon (though hope I havent been using it against higher T opponents).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12