BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default poisoned weapons?

I know that poisoned weapons always wound on a certain amount (majority of the time its 4+) but can it be lower than that. For example typhus's man reaper would wound a carnifex on a 4+, but say he was fighting a gaunt squad would he also wound them on a 4+ or could he wound them on a 2+ because he is strength 5. It would just seem that the plaguebearer typhus would not wound a mere gaunt on a 4+!

Veteran-Sergeant

Well besides Typhus only being Stg 4, with poisoned weapons, you only ever use its profile (ie: 4+), and don't forget you get to re-roll it!

Scout

as far as i was aware poisoned weapons only made it easier to wound bigger things whilst your strength still counted for wounding lesser creatures.

so 4+ on a Carnifex, but on a DE warrior it'd be 3+ because of the ST/T difference.

Cant find me rulebook to pilfer the text but that's how i understood it.

You always use the weapons profile regardless of strenhth/toughness, but you get re-rolls to wound if your strength is equal or higher than the victims toughness.
    Last edited by steeddy; 08-03-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dØpe View Post
    as far as i was aware poisoned weapons only made it easier to wound bigger things whilst your strength still counted for wounding lesser creatures.

so 4+ on a Carnifex, but on a DE warrior it'd be 3+ because of the ST/T difference.

Cant find me rulebook to pilfer the text but that's how i understood it.
    Unfortunately not, for Typhus it would always be a 4+ to wound, be against said Warrior he would get a re-roll to would, effectively giving a 75% chance to wound, as opposed to a 66% chance. You're actually better off with the re-roll.

Yes, the only bonus you can get here is the re-roll where your str is equal too or higher than their toughness.

As previously mentioned, that translates to a 75% chance to wound something of equal or lower toughness, which is somewhere between a 3+ and a 2+ in terms of effectiveness. Not too shabby!

Librarian

But don't forget that if models have many different pieces of equipment, you can choose which ones to use. If you were a Nurgle Daemon Prince, with a CCW and a manreaper fighting an IG heroic character. You could fight with the poison weapon, or the ccw with no special rules (for the strength 6 for the auto-out). [unless there is some rule about being forced to use deamon weapons, if you take them].

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    But don't forget that if models have many different pieces of equipment, you can choose which ones to use. If you were a Nurgle Daemon Prince, with a CCW and a manreaper fighting an IG heroic character. You could fight with the poison weapon, or the ccw with no special rules (for the strength 6 for the auto-out). [unless there is some rule about being forced to use deamon weapons, if you take them].
    Ironically a Demon Prince cannot take a Demon Weapon, so it's not a problem. And yes, it is a special CCW, so you would have to attack with it anyways.

Scout

the rules simply state that you ALWAYS wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) and if you would normally wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) then you may re roll it.
    i.e. chaos lord w/ a nurgle daemon weapon, wounds on a 4+ no matter what hes fighting, but if its T4 or less he gets to re-roll the To Wound roll.
    or
    Daemon Nurgle daemon prince w/ noxious touch (poisoned on a 2+) he would need to wound on a 2+ normally in order to get a re roll

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Moniker View Post
    the rules simply state that you ALWAYS wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) and if you would normally wound on a 4+ (or whatever the case may be) then you may re roll it.
    i.e. chaos lord w/ a nurgle daemon weapon, wounds on a 4+ no matter what hes fighting, but if its T4 or less he gets to re-roll the To Wound roll.
    or
    Daemon Nurgle daemon prince w/ noxious touch (poisoned on a 2+) he would need to wound on a 2+ normally in order to get a re roll
    Actually that's not correct. On p42 the MRB says "if the Strength of the wielder is the same or higher than the Toughness of the victim, the wielder must re-roll failed rolls to wound."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast