BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1500 point Guard list for the GT

Hi all, i'm currently working on a small resistance themed army for this years GT and was wondering if you all could take a look at my list and tell me what you think.

HQ

Company command sqad
    Creed
    Vox caster
    Chimera

Troops

Veteran squad
    Vox
    Melta gun
    Lascannon
    Demoltions
    Chimera

Veteran squad
    Vox
    Melta gun
    Lascannon
    Demoltions
    Chimera

Veteran squad
    Vox
    Melta gun
    Lascannon
    Demoltions
    Chimera

Veteran squad
    Bastone
    3 meltas
    Demoltions
    Chimera

Fast attack

Vendetta

2 Bane wolves.

Any comments?

Scout

At 1500 points you don't need to be dropping 1/10th of your points on special characters and Creed really shouldn't be in a list under the 2k mark.

At 1500 points one veteran squad with air transport at most.

Lascannons in the vetern squads?

Banewolf is a botique buy - like the snickers bar you toss in the cart while you are waiting with the eggs and bread in the checkout line. You shouldn't toss it in there, but you just can't help yourself...

In the GT you don't need to be cute - you just need to win, and vetern squads dragging around lascannon point-sinks aren't gonna do it for you.

Base it around a regular company commander in a chimera, add a platoon of 3x squads with missile launchers and meltas or grenades and then a veteran squad in a air transport for the second troops choice. Then add in 2x Russ and use the left over points to buy some auto cannon squads. It aint cute, but it will get the job done.

at 1500 points you can have:

a company HQ w/ astro path in a chimera

Platoon A with 3x squads Missile and Melta and an Autocannon squad

Platoon B with Al'Rahiem 2x squads and 3x chimeras

Veteran Squad in a Valk

2x Russ

At 1500 points, that is how you ruin someones day.

Thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to take it on bord but first i'd like to make a few points as to why certain things are the way they are.

First of all the veteran squads instead of the platoon:

Originaly i was going to field a infantry platoon with 3 squads with lascannons and meltas. Then i realised that it's only an extra 20 points to make guadsmen squads +1BS which is'nt that bad. In alot of the lists i've been seeing for the GT the're either realy fast and get into close combat realy quickly or they kill you from afar, realy quickly. That means you get at best 1 maybe 2 rounds of firing, so you need to make the shots count.

Best thing was, in order to make my squads veterans all i needed to come up with was 60 points which was easily covered by losing the platoon comannd (not a real loss, it was basicaly a toss up between give a few orders or give all the troops +1BS)

That being said i did go alittle overbord with the list in that i've given them all demoltions. A nice addition and i thought a demo charge would give me a good 'final solution' to enemy squads getting to close to mine but i probibly should drop them. That frees up 90 points straight away.

Next, Creed:
    I'm still very unsure about this one way or the other. On the one hand he does solve the problem of orders. As i stated above by making my troops veterans i've cost myself a platoon command to give my army some orders, but Creed can give out 4 a turn which should make up for that.

Plus the ability to make one unit scout should'nt be ignored. I'm very tempted by the idea of scouting a squadron of fast moving Banewolves then moving flat out on turn one to use the toxic cannon on the unsupecting enemy. Remember it's a deffencive weapon so can always fire! Good image but realisticaly i'll probibly scout Bastones tank hunters with Vendetta support to get up close with the melta guns.

That said he is alot of points for a guard army. I'll play test him and let you know.

Ok that means i've got 90 points to spend definitly and 180 points if i drop creed.

Oh and lastly i forgot to say i've also got Marbo in the list.

Any sugestions or comments on what i've just said?

Chaplain

Bastonne is crap.

So is having a Las/Melt Vet unit. Even shooting a BS4 las out of an AV12 Bunker doesn't matter to most enemies.

I think Vets should be 3 Melta, or go home.

What weapons are the Chimmys? Hopefully ML/HF.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Whats wrond with Bastone? He comes with some decent equipment and the extra order is always handy. His squad getting into meltagun range is and recieving the order of "bring it down" can spell doom for most tanks.

Chimeras where multi laser/heavy bolter but seeing as i havent bought them yet i could change them to flamers if people think thats better?

Chaplain

Hugely. The ability to kill hordes is important, and so is not encouraging you to sit on the back line when the objectives are over there.

Bastonne is way overcosted for a freaking order. Orders are poo anyway. They're a handy gimmick, but not reliable. 56% to pass, most of the time. Hardly game-breaking.

3x BS4 Meltaguns within 6" is enough for tanks anyway, and if you need BID to get it to work, buy some new dice.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Fair comments i supose. So I'm droping the demolitons from 3 of my squads (the las/melta ones) and I'm also droping Bastone. That off the top of my head means 150 points to play around with. Any ideas?

Also any thoughts on if i should take creed or not?

Chaplain

I think he needs a moshpit to be good, so I'd not use him. That said, I know a guy who swears by him in AirCav...

My instinct is no.

To me, 150 points = either another 3MeltVetChim Squad, or another Vendetta. That said, I'm working without the Dex atm.

Thanks, let me know if you think of something when you have the codex to hand.

Droping creed would leave me with 240 points to spend of thism list.

Ideas?

Chaplain

With 290 (for both, and dropping other Demos and Voxes) ...*reaches for Dex*

Hmmm. Best thing I can see is also dropping the BWolves, (540) taking 3 Deathstrikes (480) putting 4 Melta in CCS (40) and replace 2 Meltas in 2 of the Vet squads with Heavy Flamers, for mopping up.

3 Manticores if you don't want to rely on the Deathstrikes (although with 3, pretty good odds.) 2 Medusas and 2 Meltas in CCS, if unwilling to drop Wolves etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast