BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default How to grey knight in 7th

If you haven't seen it yet the FAQ for the grey knights really changed them. A lot. And from my first impressions really made them bland.

All of the unique powers, hallocaust, warp quake, are now gone completely. All that's left are some utility powers. Except for the grandmaster that can now take anything.

So are the new gks just space marines with power weapons and a crap load of psyker dice?

What are your thoughts on all this?

Chaplain

They are sill the only army which can reliably use Santic powers which are actually very good. My thoughts are to take both a GM ml2 and Libby ml3 to get as many rolls as possible on the table. Also ally in Cotaez and another Inq to try and get invisibility.
    Points to keep in mind:
    -Brain mines work against Imperial Knights and other big baddies like Lords of War, you can fit a bunch into a squad.
    -Crusaders have a 2++ with stormshields and Sanctuary.
    -Storm ravens can auto perils daemon princes and ruin their rday.
    -Even rhinos provide warp dice and iirc can cast sanctuary which will force daemons to innit 1 when assaulting through.
    -an invisible Dreadknight or land raider is pretty darn scary.
    Last edited by Harley; 06-18-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Chapter-Master

They still have unique powers. Like Harley said, they're the only ones who will actually probably ever use Santic powers. Cleansing Flame is extremely good, and GKs can provide the warp charges to back it up. Draigo and the other Grand Masters make for a better psyker than basically any other Marine option with the exception of Tigirius, with access to extremely good powers.

They're also Battle Bros with the Imperium now. That's huge. I would auto-include Tigirius or a DA Librarian with a power field generator for a 4+ or certain psychic powers (Tigirius has a 75% chance of getting any given random power, so go for Invisibility or something, or imagine multiple Land Raiders full of Paladins with a 3++ invuln).

Land Raiders got pretty good with the tougher vehicle rules. Take a Land Raider Crusader full of Paladins and go smash things. Take lots of power armor guys to run around and storm bolter/psycannon stuff. Throw in a bit of long ranged firepower and/or allies.

You'll still run into the same basic issue of being expensive Marines. Eldar and Tau will tend to still just shoot you off the table (Land Raiders will help a lot there, only the Wraithknight can hurt it).

The major local tournaments in my area have started using a comp system, which is kinda stupid though it could be a lot worse than what they've introduced, so my personal lists aren't quite written to fully take advantage of 7th, but I'm going to the BAO so I'll have to think up the nastiest list I can.

On a side note, I've stripped and begun repainting the majority of my army, since it was in varying stages of painting over many years of evolving skill level and a recently acquired airbrush:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_112041_Android.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	9420  
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

@Darklink - I look forward to seeing your Grey Knight crew in shiny silver - and right side up!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Chaplain

I am impressed though that he magnetized them ALL though

Personally I am not sold on Paladins. What is going to kill your GK Termies is going to instant death them whether they are Paly's or not and ignore the FnP if you upgraded for it. For that reason the cost isn't justifiable to me. Sure, they are more survivable against mass small arms fire, but if your Termies are taking tons of shots then your Landraider is already dead, you're assault has failed and you are screwed anyways. I would rather spend the extra points on cheesey grenades, brain mines, psyker upgrades and other options. Also the new FAQ states Pallys and Termies have the same psychic powers.

True fact, a fully upgrades group of regular GK Termies will beat a less equipped squad of Paladins of equal points.

For 725 points you get:
    -GM with all the grenades, Empyrean Brain Mine, ML2, a sword (3++ in CC) and an Incinerator
    -Libby, Empyrean Brain Mine, ML3, halberd and storm bolter
    -5 Termies, 1 Bro Banner, 1 Psycannon, 3 Halberds, 1 Daemonhammer, 4 Storm Bolters
    This squad has 5 powers plus Banishment and Hammerhand on the Termy squad means you will be fully buffed all the time, killing everything from Daemon Princes to Knights. Good chance of getting Sanctuary for 3++ on the GM and 4++ on the rest of the squad.

710 points of Paladins nets you:
    -Draigo
    -5 Paladins, 1 Bro Banner, Feel no Pain, 2 Psycannons, 3 Halberds, 1 Daemonhammer, 2 Storm Bolters
    This squad has 2 powers plus Banishment and Hammerhand on the Pally squad means less powers and 2/6 chance of getting Sanctuary which you want. Great squad but will struggle against the above squad (which will instant death them due to Hammerhand and Rad Grenades), won't be buffed most of the time from needing to activate Force weapons.

Or my personal favorite:
    765 points of Imperial powers gets you:
    -GM with all the grenades, Empyrean Brain Mine, ML2, a sword (3++ in CC) and an Incinerator
    -Libby, Empyrean Brain Mine, ML3, halberd and storm bolter
    -Malleus Inquisitor in Termy armor, ML1, Empyrean Brain Mine, Force sword and Bolt Pistol, Liber Heresius
    -7 Death Cult Assassins, Power Sword
    -4 Crusaders, Storm Shield, Power Sword
    -Ministorum Priest
    This squad has it all. Grenades Check, 3 Brain Mines for wiping out Knights and Super Heavies check, 5 Sanctic powers and 1 from another table, with Sanctuary the Crusaders have a 2++ (rerollable with the Priest hymns), ZEALOT, and you can even give them Scouts with the Liber Heresius. YES SIR!
    Last edited by Harley; 06-18-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    They are sill the only army which can reliably use Santic powers which are actually very good. My thoughts are to take both a GM ml2 and Libby ml3 to get as many rolls as possible on the table. Also ally in Cotaez and another Inq to try and get invisibility.
    Points to keep in mind:
    -Brain mines work against Imperial Knights and other big baddies like Lords of War, you can fit a bunch into a squad.
    -Crusaders have a 2++ with stormshields and Sanctuary.
    -Storm ravens can auto perils daemon princes and ruin their rday.
    -Even rhinos provide warp dice and iirc can cast sanctuary which will force daemons to innit 1 when assaulting through.
    -an invisible Dreadknight or land raider is pretty darn scary.
    Crusaders.... um... Like sister crusaders with a preist that allows them to reroll their saves in close combat? Including the grandmaster? Wait, doesn't Iron Halo + Force Sword + Sanctuary + War Hymns = a 2++ rerollable save for the GM?
    An invisible land raider just sounds too awesome not to do.

You have sparked my imagination, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    They still have unique powers. Like Harley said, they're the only ones who will actually probably ever use Santic powers. Cleansing Flame is extremely good, and GKs can provide the warp charges to back it up. Draigo and the other Grand Masters make for a better psyker than basically any other Marine option with the exception of Tigirius, with access to extremely good powers.

They're also Battle Bros with the Imperium now. That's huge. I would auto-include Tigirius or a DA Librarian with a power field generator for a 4+ or certain psychic powers (Tigirius has a 75% chance of getting any given random power, so go for Invisibility or something, or imagine multiple Land Raiders full of Paladins with a 3++ invuln).

Land Raiders got pretty good with the tougher vehicle rules. Take a Land Raider Crusader full of Paladins and go smash things. Take lots of power armor guys to run around and storm bolter/psycannon stuff. Throw in a bit of long ranged firepower and/or allies.

You'll still run into the same basic issue of being expensive Marines. Eldar and Tau will tend to still just shoot you off the table (Land Raiders will help a lot there, only the Wraithknight can hurt it).

The major local tournaments in my area have started using a comp system, which is kinda stupid though it could be a lot worse than what they've introduced, so my personal lists aren't quite written to fully take advantage of 7th, but I'm going to the BAO so I'll have to think up the nastiest list I can.

On a side note, I've stripped and begun repainting the majority of my army, since it was in varying stages of painting over many years of evolving skill level and a recently acquired airbrush:
    Blending with sisters of battle has been something I've been working on for a while so I'm going to take another look at that.

I can now finally put Repentia in a land raider so they can actually make it to assault. I'm wondering if there's a way to boost them more with a GK character at all... hmm..

Chaplain

Err good point. Iron Halo + Nemesis Sword, + Sanctuary + War Hymns is amazing.

Remember that Inquisitors can bring Crusaders even in a GK or Inquisitors army. Crusaders are now found in 3 codex.

Chapter-Master

Paladins are boss. You need Draigo and/or a Land Raider, but they're the best terminator unit in the game hands down. They kill everything they touch, and there are relatively few things that have the means to kill them, and careful positioning with Draigo allows you to handle those few things pretty effectively.

@Darklink - I look forward to seeing your Grey Knight crew in shiny silver - and right side up!
    Hah, yeah, it might be a little while. I'm juggling Infinity, Warmahordes, and GK, Eldar, and a CSM army right now. And someday I'll figure out why the camera on my phone randomly rotates every single picture I take. Also, I'm going for a dark grey look rather than silver. Something like this, just with grey rather than silver, and glowing blue runes instead of gold: [url]http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Zenithal_Airbrushing,_OSL_and_Snow_and_Ice_Tutoria l,_subject_-_Grey_Knight[/url]
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well, I put a list together. Oi, its tough to fit everything in.

Grand Master - 220
    Brain Mines, Mastery Level 2

Canoness - 95
    Blade of Admonition

Battle Conclave - 95
    Arco-Flagellants x2, Death Cult Assassin x2, Crusader x3

Priest

GK Terminators x5 - 225
    Nemesis Hammer x2, Nemesis Halerd x2, Psycannon

GK Terminators x5 - 225
    Nemesis Hammer x2, Nemesis Halerd x2, Psycannon

Battle Sister Squad x6 - 147
    Storm Bolters x2

Vindicare Assassin

Land Raider - 265
    Multi-Melta

Land Raider Crusader - 270
    Storm Bolter, Psybolt Ammo

Dreadnought -135
    TL Autocannon, TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo

Models: 30

2 land raiders, one with GM, Conclave, and priest and the other with one squad of termies. The other termies deep strike in while the dreadnaught, vindicare, and sisters lay down fire!

7 warp dice. Thoughts?

Chapter-Master

Brain mines suck, take rad and psykotroke grenades instead. And the Vindicare Assassin is a trap, he'll get shot to death before doing anything meaningful, at least against a competent opponent. Take an Exorcist instead, and replace the Storm Bolters on the sisters with melta/ flamers or something.

Other than that, looks pretty good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast