BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Ok. Enough about soul grinders. I have a questions about ordinary troops: the icon of chaos and various upgrade standards are obviously worth it, as is the instrument of chaos (as a Blood Angels player, I well know the value of manipulating reserves!). However, what about the option to upgrade one model into a leader character and get it a gift of chaos? Is there any value there? Or is it best to keep the unit cheap?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Ok. Enough about soul grinders. I have a questions about ordinary troops: the icon of chaos and various upgrade standards are obviously worth it, as is the instrument of chaos (as a Blood Angels player, I well know the value of manipulating reserves!). However, what about the option to upgrade one model into a leader character and get it a gift of chaos? Is there any value there? Or is it best to keep the unit cheap?
    Depends on the unit, if it is Demonettes the Allures with a power weapon is amazing. On the other units not so much worth it however.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Depends on the unit, if it is Demonettes the Allures with a power weapon is amazing. On the other units not so much worth it however.
    On balance it's all about the role of the unit.
    But Tzeench ones are certainly the LEAST worth putting a gift on.
    That said 5 points for an extra attack and the ability to challenge out unit killers (provided of course this doesn't change in 90mins when the book comes out here in Aus) is probably worth it even if you don't gift them.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    That said 5 points for an extra attack and the ability to challenge out unit killers (provided of course this doesn't change in 90mins when the book comes out here in Aus) is probably worth it even if you don't gift them.
    Huh... weirdly, I would have said the opposite in most cases. It's worth it if you have the points to put a gift on them, because you might get something useful, but otherwise it's a waste of points (except potentially in the case of assault units). Perhaps that's because I'm approaching it from a Tzeentchian point of view.

Truth be told, as much as I'm most interested in Tzeentch, I'm not actually going to play mono-Tzeentch. My first trade includes Nurgle and Khorne daemons as well, and even if I go with the "uber-summoning" list, part of the appeal is the ability to summon in whatever I need, even if it's not Tzeentch-flavored, so I should know how the other gods' servants work as well.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    On balance it's all about the role of the unit.
    But Tzeench ones are certainly the LEAST worth putting a gift on.
    Apparently you can't do that anymore.... the wounds transfer over.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Apparently you can't do that anymore.... the wounds transfer over.
    Which makes it a good idea to have a challenge warrior, but only if you are sure you have a chance of winning the fight.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Which makes it a good idea to have a challenge warrior, but only if you are sure you have a chance of winning the fight.
    Only the Slaanesh Champ has a chance =/ other wise they drop dead before they strike.

Mind you this is more reason for you to take a big CC monster to challenge sarg's with >

Brother-Captain

With that in mind then.
    Champions - Worth it for 5pts (IMO) just for the extra attack and precision strike (even without challenges.
    Gifts
    Lesser Table - 3 of the 6 gifts are decent enough on a 1 wound champ (Cleaving Strike, Spellbreaker, Warpstrider).
    Etherbalde - Pays off on champs well enough and it's 5pts cheaper for an AP2 powerweapon than a marine's
    Staff of change - kinda sucks
    Axe of Khorne - Is absically a better etherblade
    Palgue Flail and Witstealer Sword - Ok, not great though as they are of more limited use.

Greater Table - All gifts the are good, but a points investment.
    Greater Etherblade - not sure +1st is worth 10pts, but if you're going melee with the unit it's a solid choice.
    Blade of blood - Yay! Rampage!
    Balesword - Meh
    Warpblade - see staff of change
    Lash of despair - Deamonettes, with overwatch? Sounds fun, but I prefer the etherblade.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

So, I got back from my FLGS with my haul… about half my Eldar turned into a lovely collection of Daemons, including…

• 1 Lord of Change
    • 1 Bloodthirster
    • 2 Fantasy Sorcerers (destined to be Heralds of Tzeentch)
    • 1 Fantasy Nurgle Champion (also destined for Heraldom)
    • 10 Pink Horrors
    • 29 Bloodletters
    • 10 Plaguebearers
    • 3 Bloodcrushers
    • 1 Beast of Nurgle

Obviously, I need some more Pink Horrors and some Daemonettes and a Soul Grinder. What else is high on my list?

Flesh Hounds, man, Flesh Hounds. Even without Juggernaut Heralds (which I love using), they are great at taking a bunch of fire and still usually getting to stupid shooty units to tie them up for discontinued shooting.

Lord of Change is real nice but make sure you give Fateweaver a try by proxy if you don't want to get one or convert something into him. Bloodcrushers are really not all that hot, so I would recommend calling them Jugger-Heralds if you use them. 1 Beast of Nurgle is all anyone should ever field. It's fun to watch him charge something that just charged one of your Horrors units

Somebody told me they fixed Chariots in the new rules, however he forgot to tell me exactly how they were fixed. Keep your eyes on that, and if they somehow gave all Chariot riders Relentless, then a Burning Chariot w Exalted Flamer will be very nice to have. Otherwise, Daemonettes, Grinder, more Horrors, Fateweaver and you're good.

I do like Daemon Princes, that's a bucket more of flying psychic powers, which are game winners (just ask my pure Khorne Daemons list about that). Twice as much as a Nurgle Phlegm Grinder, but really can pay off especially with the new Grounding rules/reduced tests. Just fly around and cast powers. The Thirster may be better off just jumping around from the start now like jump infantry. You could still in theory get a Turn 2 assault, just not as easy of course.

In my experience the Portaglyph sucks in most scenarios. Grimoire is way better if you have to choose. That Souldrinker is good, and that other Exalted to summon more Troops is good too. But for a FMC, Warp Flux may be good to have now.

Until it gets FAQd away (which it very well may) get some allied CSM Landraiders and put Bloodletters inside. Battle Bros can now embark in each other's transports!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast