BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Just found the following rumor on faeit.

Another tidbit is that the Bretonnians will most probably be "squatted", because their imagery is not really copyrightable ... quite logical, they are almost totally "historic/mythic knights", but he doesn't know if they will disappear entirely, will be merged with something else, of be totally re-designed from the ground up.

Now I know the guy should be taken with a mountain sized load of salt, but given the recent rebrandings of armies and units to get the copyright, particularly the IG to AM, I'm thinking this has a ring of truth to it unfortunately. I sincerely hope it's not true, but....

Chapter-Master

This is nonsense. What exactly needs copyrighting about them? The term Bretonnia is unique to GW and presumably copyrighted, otherwise what else do they need to worry about? Using your example, all GW did was change the name. The models are exactly the same, since it pretty hard to copyright generic space troopers. Same with generic medieval French Knights.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    This is nonsense. What exactly needs copyrighting about them? The term Bretonnia is unique to GW and presumably copyrighted, otherwise what else do they need to worry about? Using your example, all GW did was change the name. The models are exactly the same, since it pretty hard to copyright generic space troopers. Same with generic medieval French Knights.
    Mostly the Lilly. As you said, it's rather iconic with French knights and Bretonnians both. With Empire Knights, they can at least put Moah Skulls or the twin-tailed comet on them to make them separate from generic Fantasy. Even the Chalice can be confused for Arthurian lore.

They need to shake things up a bit and give them new iconography in order to fully capitalize on the army. I wonder if they are willing to have the imagination for it, or will Bretonnia be relegated to just being "Black Templar" Empire.

Chapter-Master

Some iconography they could copyright would help, but I don't think they are overly bothered. If they were, there would be a whole load of new IG models with some new, unique iconography on them.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Initiate

first thing is that they had the new characters in their codex why not do them and talking about the figures and also doing foot knights as well mounted knights because a lot of both fantasy and historical history but they have to do is using the same media that they are for their chaos lines all right.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Mostly the Lilly. As you said, it's rather iconic with French knights and Bretonnians both. With Empire Knights, they can at least put Moah Skulls or the twin-tailed comet on them to make them separate from generic Fantasy. Even the Chalice can be confused for Arthurian lore.

They need to shake things up a bit and give them new iconography in order to fully capitalize on the army. I wonder if they are willing to have the imagination for it, or will Bretonnia be relegated to just being "Black Templar" Empire.
    I think the whole "reboot" or "reimaging" is because GW wants to copyright their stuff. That's the main reason The Imerial Guard had their name changed.

With Bretonnia, too much if it is based on and very similar to medvil knights and King Artur stories to the point where its not orginal enough to copyright it. And GW has been at least hinting about copy rights their stuff and inforcing it by the way they make the fan based website for warhammer stuff get shut down when they post rules and such. They creamed a lot of Mordhiem websties that posted PDF files. I guess GW wants to do the same with the rest of their stuff.
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

First-Captain

I've not read it all yet but I noticed in White Dwarf, Leoncouer is noted as channeling the soul of Giles de Breton in the battle report, so, has de Breton returned in this form?

Initiate

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to ruin it for anyone, but Gilles was the Green Knight this whole time and he is probably just channeling his power into Louen not possessing him or taking a new form through him. He wouldn't do that and doesn't need to because he has his own body.

Wow, Brets are back on the GW site, trebuchet and all...

Seems as though these rumors were way off. Bretonnia seems to be the red-headed step child of GW.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678