BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: How excited are you about 7th?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-SUPER EXCITEDLIKE ZOMG I'm planning an all nighter to play the game until my eyes bleed!

6 5.45%
  • 4-Excited, GW seemed to address all my issues that I had with 6 and I'm eager to start rolling dice

35 31.82%
  • 3 - Indifferent, 7th edition - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

23 20.91%
  • 2 - Let down, GW missed a big opportunity here and 6th's fatal flaws still exist

37 33.64%
  • 1 - Ragequitting, *VEIN POPPING RAGE* WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?

9 8.18%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I think it's mixed with a few cleared up rules and some major **** ups. A standard, non-cheesed out drop pod list with 6 troop choices can dump *18* scoring units that can't be contested except by other battle forged troop choices (12 Combat Squads and 6 pods). WTF were they thinking???

Also, those armies with very few psykers will never get off a single power against even mild GK or Tzeentch daemons. I pointed out my normal, fairly tame 2000pt GK list and I ended up with 18+d6 dice to cast/dispel with. If I can't get enough 6's to stop pretty much everything from my opponent then something is wrong. This new mechanism is just flat out broken at the higher levels.

Finally, while I like the concept of summoning daemons, I have a fairly benign Tzeentch army (no screamerstar, etc.) and at 2000 pts I can summon about 1000-1500 extra points worth of additional daemons within the first half of a game assuming a relatively decent spread of powers from the new Malefic discipline. Who in their right mind wants to play against that?

So while I think some of the clarifications were fine, the new rules they introduced were clearly not playtested at all. Even a modicum of actual testing would have revealed the above can happen even with relatively fluffy armies. Plus, they still didn't do a d*mn thing about the idiocy that is the 2++ rerollable issue. Honestly, I don't think they even care about the game anymore. Except for the few clarifications I'd rather play 6th.
    Last edited by silashand; 05-24-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Alot did change with this book. Its just wasn't as changing as 5th to 6th. Its happened before and its more changes then a new phase and new ways to build an army. Seriously there are alot of tweaks here and there. So folks need to stop saying it changed very little. You cannot expect giant changes every book.
    Purge the Weak!

Chapter-Master

I think that the spread of results we are seeing in the poll is very interesting. Both 1 and 5 (absolutely pleased or ragequit angry) are still in the single digits, but the distributing is not peaking at 3 (completely indifferent). Instead, it is peaking at both 4 (quite excited) and 2 (moderately displeased). This is a... curious reaction. Not at all what I'd expected.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I think that the spread of results we are seeing in the poll is very interesting. Both 1 and 5 (absolutely pleased or ragequit angry) are still in the single digits, but the distributing is not peaking at 3 (completely indifferent). Instead, it is peaking at both 4 (quite excited) and 2 (moderately displeased). This is a... curious reaction. Not at all what I'd expected.
    Perhaps it's because most people are relatively ambivalent. Even if they feel predominantly positive or negative, that doesn't mean they don't see the other side of the coin. Option 3 is 'indifferent' rather than 'ambivalent/unsure/torn'. Presumably people who are voting are invested in 7e. So 'indifferent' may not describe a lot of voters' attitudes, even though many may be somewhat on the fence.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    I think it's mixed with a few cleared up rules and some major **** ups. A standard, non-cheesed out drop pod list with 6 troop choices can dump *18* scoring units that can't be contested except by other battle forged troop choices (12 Combat Squads and 6 pods). WTF were they thinking???

Also, those armies with very few psykers will never get off a single power against even mild GK or Tzeentch daemons. I pointed out my normal, fairly tame 2000pt GK list and I ended up with 18+d6 dice to cast/dispel with. If I can't get enough 6's to stop pretty much everything from my opponent then something is wrong. This new mechanism is just flat out broken at the higher levels.

Finally, while I like the concept of summoning daemons, I have a fairly benign Tzeentch army (no screamerstar, etc.) and at 2000 pts I can summon about 1000-1500 extra points worth of additional daemons within the first half of a game assuming a relatively decent spread of powers from the new Malefic discipline. Who in their right mind wants to play against that?

So while I think some of the clarifications were fine, the new rules they introduced were clearly not playtested at all. Even a modicum of actual testing would have revealed the above can happen even with relatively fluffy armies. Plus, they still didn't do a d*mn thing about the idiocy that is the 2++ rerollable issue. Honestly, I don't think they even care about the game anymore. Except for the few clarifications I'd rather play 6th.
    So, here's the thing.

First of all, if I could get a butt-genie to grant me one wish, it would be to end all ad-hominem attacks on GW on this forum. Can we please for the love of the Throne stop pretending that we know what happens at GW headquarters and basing our critiques on that. Seriously, you don't know if they playtested. I don't know if they playtested. The only people who know if they playtested are currently under NDAs. There are many ways you can express your displeasure that constitute actual, substantive criticisms without pretending to have information that you don't.

*Ahem*

Moving on.

I don't really see how this is different from any other unbalanced build. If my Necron opponent brings three Necron Lords with mindshackle scarabs and joins them to all three of his midfield shooting units, I am all but completely shut down in the assault phase. Between my opponent's general durability and his all-but-automatic ability to turn my most powerful model against the rest of the unit, there is no way I can win. Maybe it isn't possible for him to protect all his units, but if his midfield shooting units are protected, what are my chances of getting behind him and assaulting his less protected backfield units?

Anyway, the point is that this build - not even a particularly crazy or inefficient build - can all but shut down an opponent's ability to be successful in a given phase.

So, the fact is that this is hardly something new to the game. If you really want to be good at the psychic phase, you are going to need to play a faction that has a lot of mastery levels. I like magic, and I think that dominating the psychic phase would be fun... so I've gone and picked up Tzeentch Daemons. It's ridiculous to think that every army can or should succeed in any given phase. Blood Angels, Orks, and 'Nids will probably always dominate the assault phase. Tau and Guard will dominate shooting. Grey Knights and Tzeentch Daemons will dominate psychics. That's just the way the game is, the way it's always been, and likely always will be - I don't see how you're pointing out anything new.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Daemon-Prince

I am in love with 7th it makes the list i had built for 6th Funny as hell to build\play & makes this thing the funniest tank in the game.

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Legion_Vehicles/TYPHON_HEAVY_SIEGE_TANK.html[/url]

Bye Bye Buildings LOL!
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Overall pretty happy. Like the new psychic phase, lile the books overall and the wording on rules has been improved. Also, as I have no real interest in tournaments, I'm pretty happy with the freedom I get when choosing armies. I like unbound, not because I can field stupid armies, but because I can set new challenges for myself and take interesting armies. It also adds a new challenge of restraint when faced with the possibility of taking whatever the hell I want! Only minor niggles are vector strike and my current inability to work out whether characters still have precision shot / strike.

A bit miffed that the Concusive rumour was false, but I can deal with it. Wish they'd make Interceptor available to non-Tau players, though.

Also, Stronghold unit upgrades got worse, due to the Skyfire nerf.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Doesn't really make me excited since people will just ***** more about me having demons.........So i am selling them all -_- sick of listening to whiners! If they want to whine they can whine as a Primarch smacks them in the face well i ask "Would you rather have Bel'kor back?"
    Ummm. You can play with Bel'kor.I'll.play my daemons since.I.been playing.them.when they got.a.40k.codex. I have a lot.of.metal.models.Which shows.I.didn't.just.jump.on the band.wagon.

I might use Be'lakor simpy because I have a DP model already with a Sword and a sweet paint job. I'll use him until they fix Invisibility at least, and perhaps beyond. Basically Invisibility is broken on purpose so they can move data slates for him.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast