BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: How excited are you about 7th?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-SUPER EXCITEDLIKE ZOMG I'm planning an all nighter to play the game until my eyes bleed!

6 5.45%
  • 4-Excited, GW seemed to address all my issues that I had with 6 and I'm eager to start rolling dice

35 31.82%
  • 3 - Indifferent, 7th edition - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

23 20.91%
  • 2 - Let down, GW missed a big opportunity here and 6th's fatal flaws still exist

37 33.64%
  • 1 - Ragequitting, *VEIN POPPING RAGE* WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?

9 8.18%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default How excited are you with 7th edition the way it turned out?

So now we have 7th. People are picking it up today and we're getting a solid idea of whats in store. Now that we know what the content as a whole is of the book, just how excited are you overall about this new edition? Are you chomping at the bit to make your first unbound list, or are you tooling up your battleforged psyker battalion to own the new phase of the game?

Or are you like me who canceled his pre-order now that nothing you hoped to come true actually did?

Bonus question: Which false rumored change did you really wish made it into the new edition?

For me its the Ignores Cover = -2 to cover saves. Ignores cover as a mechanic breaks the game and forces me to take units that I really don't want to take in order to survive my opponents' alpha strike.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

I'm torn between consolidating into combat, which would have seriously helped my Blood Angels 'dex army use combat as a serious strategy, rather than a dirty trick to play on occasion, and the rumored Ignores Cover change that you mentioned.

And no, I'm not canceling my order... because I love the new psychic phase. When I go to my FLGS to pick up my rulebooks, I'm also trading away my Eldar to pick up some Tzeentch Daemons to rock the super-powered psychic and summoning army!

- - - Updated - - -

So, I suppose my answer would be 3.5. Not a lot has changed. Most of the old problems are still there. But at the same time, there are some really interesting changes that I'm looking forward to playing with. In the interests of positivity, I'm going to round that up to a 4.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I honestly don't see any difference. I was all set to purchase the new books, then just thought: "Why?"

I've got every current codex (looking forwards to them being obsolete quicker than usual too ), so I don't need new pics of miniatures. Not that I need pics of minis anyway.
    I've got 4th through 6th edition, so I don't need the fluff.
    I'll wait until the Macragge/Black Reach/Dark Vengeance/Whatever it's called is released and pick up the rules then. Honestly can't be bothered paying top dollar for a game book that'll be obsolete in two years. Even if it's not, I feel a little like GW burned me with 6th lasting so briefly (relatively speaking), and while I'm sure 7th will be lovely, I don't think it'll be lovely enough. Not right now.

The one thing I do like is that Nidzilla suddenly became way more viable with Unbound - even if it's sub par, fielding my all Tyranid MC's/no pissant little Termagant list will be SPECTACULAR to look at.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-23-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Daemon-Prince

Doesn't really make me excited since people will just ***** more about me having demons.........So i am selling them all -_- sick of listening to whiners! If they want to whine they can whine as a Primarch smacks them in the face well i ask "Would you rather have Bel'kor back?"
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Captain

I'm not sure how to feel.
    I'm dead excited to get stuck in, but out of a job so can't afford new rules.
    I've been brimming with new ideas, but can't afford new models.
    And I can't help but feel that the new objectives system will really change the way we play, so that's exciting too.
    I'm going with a 4, but I never really had any issues with 6th anyway.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

The rumors sounded way better than the actual rules.
    The way the PSIphase was announced it sounded really cool. Turned out to be the same in a different package with certain schools beiing obviously superior.
    Melee is still a "noobtrap" (looks cool on paper, gets obliterated on table)
    Many items and rules are broken now and will need extensive errata/faq which I dont think we will see anytime soon.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    The way the PSIphase was announced it sounded really cool. Turned out to be the same in a different package with certain schools beiing obviously superior.
    I disagree. I think that the psychic phase will be more of the same if you use your old army list, but if you are willing to make a new army list, or explore some new tactics, it will be possible to explore it more completely. The daemons summoning daemons summoning daemons list could turn out to be powerful and fun to play. Armies that can bring psykers who are also powerful and durable units in other ways will have a distinct advantage. Of course, it remains to be seen what new codices will include as they are updated to match the new rules set.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Battle-Brother

I'm just a bit miffed at having a new edition so early after 6th. GWs always been a money making business but this just feels too much of a money grab. More so than usual. I except its a business but after only recently purchasing a digital copy of the rules just before rumours started circulating of a new edition I'm not overly impressed. Rage quitting is a bit extreme but I'm more and more feeling inclined towards other games, especially those that offer free rule sets as opposed to charging for them.
    "It is better to die for the emperor than live for yourself."

Trundling through the book now and so far I like the tweaks they did.

The fact that pinning/ going to ground now prevents overwatch is a change I felt should have been there in the first place and should make some things easier for players who know how to get a bit of synergy from their shooting and assaulting.

Super heavies in the core set and the slight toning down of Destroyer grade damage are also going to be interesting as I get more involved in playing my Imperial Knights. You migth also see more non D packing super heavies used now that they don't give up Victory points when damaged. Unless I'm missing something about Lords of War that references the Escalation book's rules instead of merely pointing out that it's the book with the datasheets you need.

Finally as I'm growing more fond of laying Imperial Knights I'm enjoying the changes to the army building methods. Though right now I'm not sure if a knight army counts as unbound at all times due to its lack of battlefield roles preventing it from becoming part of a detachment, or if they count as a detachment and i can take BOTH combined arms, AND allied detachments alongside them for their bonuses. I'm leaning towards the latter but I'm aware I could be wrong.

The psychic phase and changes to the way powers are used should be interesting to use, and will make even basic psykers slightly more versatile. For example now Eldar Warlocks will have a mixture of powers instead of almost all of them defaulting to Conceal/reveal. Whereas Farseers can now get a potential FIVE powers to sling around the field.

The 'buff' to force weapons may also prove rather interesting when combined with things like Guard platoons or other large units of troops.

Oh and finally..I realized you could now do a 'legal' army consisting of Santa WAAAGHH(warboss), and his pointy eared helpers in weird outfits (Harlequins).

i like that psykers still can only cast as many powers as they have psychic mastery levels. some chars would be overkill then.

eldar jetbikes lost the 2d6 movement in the assault phase if they decide to turboboost in the shooting phase.

that conjured units score is a bit heavy... especially that summoned chaos daemons get the icon, instrument and champion upgrade for free if you got the model for it.

focused witchfires are now way more reliable. wich makes some of them real nice now.

beam powers no longer lose strength when passing models. also nice.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast