BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question from Possible New Infinity Player

So I've just recently dropped Warhammer 40K and I've been eyeing switching to Infinity. Seems like a much better game overall. But I have a couple of questions.

With 3rd Edition waiting to drop from what I've been hearing, and base size changes to units about to be enforced, is now a good time to get started buying models or should I just wait until the new stuff is released? 40K 7th Edition just burned me in a similar manner, and I don't want that same thing to happen here.

I ask because Infinity models don't seem to be easy to find where I am, so I kind of want to snap them up while I can.

Now is the perfect time to buy. No one anticipates a significant departure from the existing rules. Certain aspects will change a bit like Retreat and Loss of Lieutenant.

The Models won't change other than base size changes already announced. Since they now sell 55mm bases in packs so you can go ahead and base them on the new sizes already. Now, corvus does resculpt lines and some lines have more progress than others. So feel free to ask which lines are more up to date than others. Some factions you may want to wait for resculpts (unless you really like the current figures).

As for the rules... you don't have to buy them. Corvus Belli gives the rules away free and that won't change with 3rd edition. People buy the books so they can read the fluff.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Wow, that's... actually pretty awesome. I knew the quick-start rules were available on the site, but I didn't realize they also provided larger sets of rules. So that 59 page pdf on the official site is the current 2nd edition rulebook? And they'll provide 3rd Ed. when it rolls out? I like this company already.

As for resculpts and miniatures, the army that immediately caught my eye was the Japanese Sectorial Army. A whole group of ninjas is just too cool to pass up. Are those pretty recent, or should I hold off?
    Last edited by CenturyChild533; 05-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Chapter-Master

They have an official army builder app, too: [url]http://infinitythegame.com/army/[/url]

All their rules are on their wiki: [url]http://infinitythegame.wikispot.org/Home[/url]

It's also a much more simple game than 40k, kinda sorta. Each individual rule is very simple. Basically everything boils down to a single roll/roll off. There are a ton of options, and it will take a while to learn what all of them are and which ones are best when, but in actual practice, there's nothing as stupid as some of the stuff in 40k like, say, shooting a bucketful of dice, then rerolling all your misses, then rolling to wound, rerolling to wound, rolling your twenty or thirty saves one at a time mixed with rolling your Look Out Sirs one at a time, for five minutes straight, rinse and repeat for every unit in your army. 40k is amazingly clunky compared to Infinity.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Corvus Belli pulls off two/three resculpts/new models every month, so i understand your worries. I believe yu-jing JSA starter is fairly old (2010, please correct me), and with the upcoming Invincible Army sectorial i believe they will get some love too. So in my opinion you should wait.
    The truth is just i can't stand keisotsu models :P

The two rule books after prime will still be up to date if you like fluff, drawings and rules. They will update the unit profiles online for the last two books. Basically to continue the story.
    JSA models will not get updated for a long time most likely. They are not in the most need. Also when a new one comes out you will want more keisotsu anyway. Close combat is pretty low unless you run ariadna or pano knights sectorial. The guns will be used more in almost all cases. Probably will be revamped in some way with the new edition.
    Ninjas are good. JSA has one of the more strategic list options for ITS which is nice. Only really less than ten units in the game are almost unusable and JSA has none of them. So pick what you will. Links are important to have most so either keitsou or haramaki. Due to the restrictions from other things in yujing.

Well, made the leap earlier today. Bought the JSA starter box, a Hacker Ninja, and a Keisotsu Butai with HMG. There were a couple of other JSA models on the bargain table at the store that I went to, like an Oniwaban Kitsune, but this was all I could afford at the moment. I may go back in a couple of weeks and see if anything is left.

I do notice that the stores I've visited either don't have any minis for the game in stock or they're all on the bargain table. Not exactly reassuring. But I'm excited about this. The game seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and I'm really impressed by the figures.

Chapter-Master

They're readily available on line. Stores have limited shelf space.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

As others have stated I doubt seriously that JSA will see a revisit anytime soon. While they are the oldest sectorial box set the models inside are are well-liked or at least average with no glaringly bad models.

Infinity is still a very niche game. In my neck of the woods we have roughly 20-30 people that I know of that play the game and I live in a moderately sized metropolitan area of roughly 4 million people. The key is to teach others how to play the game and get them involved. Grab a friend and learn together and then when you both have learned the rules sufficiently, ask stores if you can run demo games. It helps you find new players and it helps them move product.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

That's my plan. I've got a buddy of mine who's interested in trying the game out alongside me. Once we get confident enough I'm gonna see if I can get some more people in my area playing it. Maybe this weekend I can get a test game in with the QSR and feel my way around it.

I have found a lot of places online to get the figures, btw, but I was hoping to find them at a FLGS first. Always like checking them before I go to the internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast