BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default No more new Warhammer Forge

Sad official news.

I know that there had been rumors about Forge World reducing its Warhammer Fantasy focused staff to a minimum. Well, I wrote to them, and got a definitive answer that they've removed all their resources from Warhammer Fantasy because there is no demand for it, and that we shouldn't expect anything from them in that capacity unless the marketplace does a 180˚.

Thought you might want to know. 'Tis a sad day.
    From Darnok on Warseer.

This is their own sodding fault. They shifted focus from campaign books, new units and conversion kits which people wanted to large monsters people were only ever going to buy one of at most and then they wonder why demand was low.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I'd want to see a copy of that letter.

Professional peccadillo.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I can imagine thats true, the demand for Horus Heresy stuff is huge, they're a limited team and are best focused on that to make money on it while its still growing, it'll level out once the excitement has worn off and they can focus on the rest of their stable.

Banned

They admitted at the start of the project that a lot of new units would be hard to make due to the $ cost vs points cost imbalance. The example used was Hobgoblins, which might be 2pts each, but at WForge prices few people would buy the quantities needed for a unit to justify producing such a unit. If they'd copied FW's model of add-ons that go with the latest army book release they'd get more people into it I feel. Like with the new Wood Elves make some conversion kits for, say, the Sisters of the Thorn to make them archers on Unicorns or the like. But that would also need them to put out rules and that would mean actually making more than one book... :/

Chapter-Master

All of the above are good points, but it basically comes down to this: they aren't Space Marines. FW basically exists now purely to make Space Marines. When was the last time they produced anything for 40k that wasn't Space Marines? HH is basically Space Marines with the odd Mechanicum kit to fight alongside Space Marines. I don't like it, but money talks and people want Space Marines. It's sad that the fantasy side of the hobby is suffering, but GW are just giving people what they want.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Welp.

I guess I'll just have to scratchbuild my own Khemric Titan, then.

Battle-Brother

This is...awful.

I agree with everyone's points about why, and I'm feeling very lucky I got my dread saurian released. (Best of luck building your Khemric Titan, Houghten..please post pics if the project goes ahead. )

It's a long story, but I decided recently that I've had enough of 40k, (despite owning a very old genestealer cult, a hell of a lot of nice and my alpha legion). To put more time and love into my first and foremost, WFB.

I hear this news today, and I'm deeply saddened. (And thank the old ones its not on the BOLS front page...)

The Heresy Line is great and all, but it all makes my blood boil. I don't need a thousand variants of the same tanks and all that. Some of it seems...excessive. But as said, Mahreens are sadly the money-maker.. Sigh. I'm sorry, that was a rant. Fantasy means a lot to me.

Thanks for the news Eldargal.

I am completely unsurprised. They had a few obvious hits like Rhinox riders and the carmine dragon, but maybe 90% of their stuff my first reaction was, "Who on earth would want that?" The giant monsters often looked weirdly out of scale with everything else, even when they had cool sculpts. Many of the monsters that had cool sculpts, like the carmine dragon, weren't going to hit the table top much because who can afford to field a dragon in an Empire list?

With only a few exceptions, their total concept seemed to misfire from the start. I play Empire, and if I wanted to, I could float FW prices. Nontheless, they never seemed to have anything on offer that was worth the price to me.

I'm one of the few who didn't really see the appeal of Warhammer Forge to start with, so I am not saddened by this at all. *shrug*
    I can see why people might be affected though. As everyone has said, Marines make dollar.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Battle-Brother

Are they going to stop producing the stuff they already make?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast