BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Sisters of Battle

I have about 1200ish points of SoB and I have no idea what to do with them. I have the current codex and I'm just lost. I recently blew the dust off them because I'd like to get back into 40K and it's all I have. Getting models for them is both expensive and hard. Not sure if I should add more points in via Allies or not. If should with who? I not really interested in Allying with what would be the best but more or less fluffy (which I know is tough). I could go with IG but that is a lot to add. I'm guessing Grey Knights would not work for fluff reasons. Any ideas as to what I should or could do?

Chaplain

Play with them; that is the best thing to do. I have Sisters and tend to use them in ore fluffy story-like games. However, I do think you need to build Allies for them. I have a Crimson Fist force that I use with them from time to time, as well as IG.

If you are a player that plays to win all the time, sell 'em and get another Army.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not a power gamer. I like to play a game and have some fun. I'm more competitive with Fantasy (and not by much either) not with 40K. Just want to have an army that can be competitive enough but not win every time or anything crazy like that.

Battle-Brother

You can add some squads of stormtroopers (Militarum tempestus scions). The are very fluffy (they were in the old codices), you can have Avengers+Valkyries, and now they are sexy plastic minis.

Chaplain

I've been playing them a long time and will be releasing a full tactica for them soon. 7th dropping in unexpected has delayed it a bit.

IMO Sisters work best as blob squads of 20 or mechanized in Rhinos and Immolators (as many as you can fit). You'll want to attach a Priest to each squad which makes them Fearless and enables the Priest's special powers which are pretty cool. The key to Sisters are Power Armored units which are cheap, fearless, shoot as well as a Space Marine and have specialized Faith powers for specific situations.

Certain units are key to rolls in your army. Exorcists are your primary anti-Monstrous Creature/Terminators; they sit back and can wipe out an entire squad of Termies in one go. Dominion are some of the best anti-tank units in the game; they can scout up first turn in an Immolator with MultiMelta and shoot their own melta's with Ignores Cover. Seraphim are excellent anti-horde with hand flamers but they compete for a slot with Dominion; I would suggest a ratio of 2 Dominion squads to 1 Seraphim squad as priority.

For HQs, Uriah Jacobus is an absolute must. He is by far the best unit in the codex since his aura gives fearless and counter attack to anyone within 12". Put him in a Rhino and that bubble suddenly expands tremendously since you measure from the hull. The Canoness is over costed. Compare her to your common Space Marine Captain and you soon realize she isn't worth it, same with Celestians. St. Celestine is great but at the end of the day she is only T3 and in higher point games the enemy will be able to field enough Str6+ weapons to instant death her easily. She is great in low point games though where heavy firepower is rare and easier to avoid.

I would't worry about competitiveness with Sisters... just by playing them it's a bit of an acknowledgement that having an interesting army vs competitive is your goal.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Chapter-Master

Oh, and Grey Knights and Sisters are two peas in a pod, no matter what some random nonsense Ward might throw in.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Fortifications. In my opinion sisters are one of the armies with the best excuse to take fortifications, that and they can shore up some of the weaknesses of the list (such as AA and Long range firepower)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not one who like to take special characters. If I can avoid them I will. I came from 5th Ed Fantasy and got turned off by hero hammer. Also its hard to get the models and I'm a big believer in supporting the local store. I checked the GW website and a lot of the models are unavailable. So that's another reason for looking at allies. I have a fortification the Aegis defense line. I was looking at Grey Knights but didn't seem fluffy, however, can I take them and make it my own chapter using the 'Count as rule'? I was also looking at the Space Marine codex and doing the same concept with basic marine units and taking the Imperial Fist rules just not call them Imperial Fists.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Solution9 View Post
    I'm not one who like to take special characters. If I can avoid them I will. I came from 5th Ed Fantasy and got turned off by hero hammer. Also its hard to get the models and I'm a big believer in supporting the local store. I checked the GW website and a lot of the models are unavailable. So that's another reason for looking at allies. I have a fortification the Aegis defense line. I was looking at Grey Knights but didn't seem fluffy, however, can I take them and make it my own chapter using the 'Count as rule'? I was also looking at the Space Marine codex and doing the same concept with basic marine units and taking the Imperial Fist rules just not call them Imperial Fists.
    if you want more fortifications you can run an imperial strongpoint, its multiple aegis lines and bastions that take up a single fortification slot
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Void Relay Network is the best bet IMO for Sisters, they really need that defensive buff and the Promo Pipes work well with their flamers.

As far as models go, they are direct only. GW doesn't allow retailers to stock them, so it's either direct or 3rd party like eBay.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast