BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default New Psychic Powers, Who Gets What?

So having pursued the new rules and the new psychic powers in particular I am left with a few questions I'm sure others are asking themselves and have probably already discussed. Simply put I'm unsure how the new psychic discipline chart interacts with the listed disciplines for each entry in individual Codexes.

As an example, according to the chart the Inquisition has access to ALL the disciplines but the entries for each inquisitor only give them access to Divination, Pyromancy, and Telekinesis (as an alternative to the codex powers). No other reference is made to the chart in the rules, except for the new Daemonology disciplines, only as a supplement to the psychic cards. So in this example does an inquisitor ONLY have access to those powers listed in his/her entry or can he/she generate powers from the Biomancy, Telepathy, or Daemonology disciplines as per the chart? The same question applies to psykers from other Codexes with access to more disciplines than present in their codex (e.g. Space Marines, Astra Militarum, etc.).

Obviously this screams for a series of FAQ but who knows when that's going to happen? Until then what is the general consensus on how to interpret this?
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chapter-Master

It should be pretty obvious what the answer is, and if some tries to give you crap about it, then you know what sort of player they are.

That said, maleific daemonology and some of the new psychic stuff is straight up broken, so I'm pretty sure the community will come to some sort of agreement over what is and isn't acceptable regardless of what GW says the rules are.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Though, amusingly, it will take a FAQ before some armies can actually take any kind of daemonology... in some codices, the unit entry lists the disciplines they can have - such as the Codex: Daemons of Chaos, where different units have access to different disciplines depending on their patron Power. Without FAQ explicitly granting them access to a new discipline, they can't actually take it.
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 05-26-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Here you go, the new psychic powers pack comes with a card with a revised table on who gets what.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11236.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	8947
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    Here you go, the new psychic powers pack comes with a card with a revised table on who gets what.

We've seen this. In fact, I own one.

It still doesn't trump the codex's list of which units get which powers - remember not every codex is the Space Marine codex with a single option who gets any of the powers available, there are some codices with multiple psyker units each of which gets access to some of the powers available to the faction - which means that nobody can take Daemonology until it's FAQed.

You can go all RAI and make up your own mind, but I think that given how powerful both kinds of Daemonology seem likely to be, I think we are going to see availability as a limitation. Will pink horrors get it? Probably not. I predict that it will be limited to Daemon princes and greater Daemons, which means that only one or two units in a Daemon army will be capable of spawning new units, and they won't be able to replace themselves without dying - kill those guys and the summoning turns off.

As Daemons have no long range shooting, the Daemon player will face a quandary. Move the summoner up the board and risk exposure to fire, or keep him back and deal with the fact that all your summoned units will have to survive a long trek up the board, through enemy fire, to reach your opponents' lines. There isn't a lot that Daemons can easily summon that wants to stay in the same ruin where your lord of change or Daemon prince is hiding!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    We've seen this. In fact, I own one.

It still doesn't trump the codex's list of which units get which powers - remember not every codex is the Space Marine codex with a single option who gets any of the powers available, there are some codices with multiple psyker units each of which gets access to some of the powers available to the faction - which means that nobody can take Daemonology until it's FAQed.

You can go all RAI and make up your own mind, but I think that given how powerful both kinds of Daemonology seem likely to be, I think we are going to see availability as a limitation. Will pink horrors get it? Probably not. I predict that it will be limited to Daemon princes and greater Daemons, which means that only one or two units in a Daemon army will be capable of spawning new units, and they won't be able to replace themselves without dying - kill those guys and the summoning turns off.

As Daemons have no long range shooting, the Daemon player will face a quandary. Move the summoner up the board and risk exposure to fire, or keep him back and deal with the fact that all your summoned units will have to survive a long trek up the board, through enemy fire, to reach your opponents' lines. There isn't a lot that Daemons can easily summon that wants to stay in the same ruin where your lord of change or Daemon prince is hiding!
    I hope you are right. I personally would like to see a simple Faq that says Psyker's cannot cast spells which are above their ML. That too would solve the problem.

Chapter-Master

If you think that no one can take any of those powers, you're being incredibly, blatantly obtuse. Beside, only 6th ed codices have an rules regarding what powers you can take, so all the old books can use that chart.

And if you really want to be rules-lawyer-y? The codices only grant permission, not denial. With the codex on its own, you only have permission to use certain disciplines. But when you get additional permissions from the rulebook, there's nothing in the codex to contradict the new permissions. You can, in fact, take daemonology powers, even if you stick to pure raw.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    If you think that no one can take any of those powers, you're being incredibly, blatantly obtuse. Beside, only 6th ed codices have an rules regarding what powers you can take, so all the old books can use that chart.

And if you really want to be rules-lawyer-y? The codices only grant permission, not denial. With the codex on its own, you only have permission to use certain disciplines. But when you get additional permissions from the rulebook, there's nothing in the codex to contradict the new permissions. You can, in fact, take daemonology powers, even if you stick to pure raw.
    Sadly this is quite true. Until they Faq otherwise, everyone can take that crap. I hope there is a nice, solid nerf (I can think of three... anyone one of which would solve the problem) but since I happen to think this horrendous design was done on purpose, I do not have high hopes that it will be reigned in.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post

That chart is actually precisely what caused my original confusion.
    Is it intended to supersede the printed powers in each unit entry in the applicable codex? That DOES seem to be the intention and would fit with what happened with the last edition's psychic powers, but unfortunately until that is specifically spelled out in an FAQ or Errata document there will be confusion. In the interim I was simply curious what the general consensus is.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Snip
    I'd say it trumps the codex's for the simple fact it is seventh edition rules and the codex's are sixth edition. quite simple really.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast