BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I'm just saying, have you read Codex: Daemons of Chaos? There's no single unit in the entire book who has access to all the disciplines that are theoretically available to "Daemons." Not a single one. I think that this is worth considering. When it's obvious to everyone that the Daemon codex will be stupid if everyone gets Daemonology, why isn't anyone considering the possibility that GW will take a lighter touch?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Even if they would limit it to princes and greater daemons, thats still 40 daemons a turn with horrors and heralds just fuelling the power.
    Space Marines for example only have a single caster so its quite obvious who will get it

Chapter-Master

Even if you limit it to just a few powers a turn, or even a single power a turn, it's still broken. Just slightly less so. An extra free 50 daemons for zero meaningful investment? Why not.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    Here you go, the new psychic powers pack comes with a card with a revised table on who gets what.
    Attachment 8947
    Is this table in the new BRB, or just with the cards?

And what is 'force'? can't find that in the BRB either (because I am stoopid? :-))

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    You've got to read my actual posts, man. I never said no one gets Daemonology. I just said that who gets it might (will probably, will hopefully) be more complicated than what some people - including the grim playtests that were posted earlier - have assumed, which is that every psyker in the whole codex will have it as an option.
    Which is why I mentioned that I wasn't referring so much to your opinion specifically but rather some people who have actually used that train of thought.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Here's my question - and it's a genuine question, I could be wrong here - can you think of one example of an exclusion clause like 'only' being used in this context in a GW codex? The lack of said clause would leave open the possibility that your logic, while theoretically sound, is not how GW thinks.

I'm a Jew. We have an extremely detailed process of interpreting texts, which backs our historical religious law (as a reform Jew, I've never actually lived under said law, but I've studied it). So, I kind of have a thing for talmudic processes, which sometimes leads me to be detailed to the point of absurdity in these kinds of discussions.
    Generally speaking, GW is a stickler for 'order of operations' in their rules, which is where the argument for Daemonology being granted to all Daemon psykers comes from. The rule says "Unless otherwise stated, all Psykers may take powers from the Daemonolgy discipline", which should read, for completeness sake, "Unless [it] is otherwise stated [that the unit may not take these powers] all Psykers may take powers from the Daemonolgy discipline". Codex: Chaos Daemons states that Pink Horrors, for example, may take powers from the Change discipline, but it does not specifically state that they may not take powers from the Daemonology discipline.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyben View Post

And what is 'force'? can't find that in the BRB either (because I am stoopid? :-))
    Force is on Page 23 (top left grey box, its for using the force ability on force weapons.) and the chart is only available in the card deck it seems (massive oversight on GW's part).
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Which is why I mentioned that I wasn't referring so much to your opinion specifically but rather some people who have actually used that train of thought.
    Fair 'nuff. Must have missed that. Derpity derp.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyben View Post

The chart is not in the BRB. There is nothing in the BRB saying that certain factions have access to certain disciplines.
    That is why we have to wait for FAQs, to let us know which characters get what (daemonology being a confusing exception).

Librarian

I think it is interesting that the focus of this thread has become on the Daemonology discipline as I initially believed that those were the ONLY clear additions. Specifically I followed the interpretation that others have suggested that the wording in the BRB indicated that ALL psykers with the ability to generate powers had the option of generating them from the Daemonology disciplines UNLESS they were specifically denied that permission in the codex (the inherent exceptions being Daemons not having access to Sanctic powers and Grey Knights not having access to the Malific side). As no entry which generates powers has a specific exclusion that would refute this (yet) they all have access. The BRB sets the "baseline" for all rules and we are required to assume that those baselines apply in all places where they WOULD apply unless otherwise specified, similar to the way that the BRB explains the rules for Jump Infantry and we are intended to assume that any codex entry which identifies the unit AS Jump Infantry follow those rules unless specified otherwise.

What I found more puzzling is how the new chart APPEARS to give psykers from some Codexes new access to different disciplines without anything to go on but the chart itself.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast