BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are you ready to "go all digital" with Games Workshop rules?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - The days of paper are burning away...

15 31.91%
  • No - Pixels are no replacement for a physical book!

32 68.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going digital?

Chaplain

Default Going digital?

I've been excited for the release of 40k 7th edition and recently pre-ordered the new BRB. My FLGS gave me a bit of a discount but I quickly started regretting my pre-order. I realized that almost $80 could instead have been invested in a decent digital tablet which could run the ebook version. Sure, the tablet is much more expensive, but if I eventually load it up with 3-4 codex, the Big Rule Book, and whatever supplements they come out with, it could probably pay for it's self within a year or so, not to mention have plenty of other uses... That's not to mention the necessity of downloading FAQs and Errata anyways.

So has anyone else been considering going digital? I have always been part of the "real book feel and smell" crowd, in fact I have an extensive collection of hardcover literature and novels. However, with 6th edition only lasting 2 years and these books approaching the $50-$100 mark, I'm fed up. Tomorrow I am probably going to go over and cancel my pre-order and am looking at tablets, counting my paychecks until I can afford one.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah, I had a similar thought with regard to weighing up pros and cons of the new basic rulebook vs the special edition box. It occurred to me that it's not just a case of price of book vs price of box, because the box already has the mission cards and psychic cards in, although my main reason for weighing up those pros and cons was really just to see if I could justify aiming for an A5 rule book for ease of carrying. Then I gave myself a metaphorical smack round the head - I'd be far better off putting the money towards a tablet, and going digital. It won't pay for the tablet with just this one edition of rules... but, like you said, next codex, plus such and such an expansion, and it starts to add up.

It probably behooves you to consider it strongly. It is my personal belief that they will be gearing up to eliminate "editions" altogether and will have constantly updating information coming out in data slates and so on. It is also my belief that they will offer a subscription service in the near future wherein your rules get constantly updated (for a nominal fee of course). This is all win from their point of view. Even at a mere $10 a month they will make a 120.00 per person per year which will be far more than the books with less overhead.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
    Yeah, I had a similar thought with regard to weighing up pros and cons of the new basic rulebook vs the special edition box. It occurred to me that it's not just a case of price of book vs price of box, because the box already has the mission cards and psychic cards in, although my main reason for weighing up those pros and cons was really just to see if I could justify aiming for an A5 rule book for ease of carrying. Then I gave myself a metaphorical smack round the head - I'd be far better off putting the money towards a tablet, and going digital. It won't pay for the tablet with just this one edition of rules... but, like you said, next codex, plus such and such an expansion, and it starts to add up.
    Yes it does start to add up. Of course, the cards would be nice to have on hand for playing.

Also helps I made a major error in shipping with my company recently, meaning I'll probably have to be eating the loss for my mistake... so having that little bit of extra money would be nice right now until it's time for the tablet.

I went digital at the start of sixth and it's so much more convenient. I heartily recommend it. I know the feeling on book costs. I stopped buying GW books towards the end of fifth ed. If you're comfortable with piracy you can usually find a decent torrent of any book within a week or so of launch.

Chaplain

Are people cool with you using digital though? If they ask to see a rule and you pull out your tablet to show them, do they act like it's an inconvenience or are they accepting?

I'm also wondering how well they go over at tournaments.

Veteran-Sergeant

I've been playing 40k since the RT days and went 100% digital last September and I've never looked back.

I also HIGHLY recommend going the iPad route so you can get the enhanced versions, there is no substitute IMO. No more flipping all over the place to verify a single rule in a gazzillion different places, it's all right there with a single 'tap'. That's total freaking WIN. Ebook rules blow chunks IMO.

Almost forgot that enhanced editions are auto updated...BLAM!

As far as tournaments, I haven't seen one that doesn't allow them. We live in a digital age, not a hard copy one.
    Last edited by biffster666; 05-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    Almost forgot that enhanced editions are auto updated...BLAM!
    Only until the new edition drops, then all those psychic power apps, force requisition apps and the like all need to be re-bought
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Veteran-Sergeant

Correct DB, but I didn't mean that your 'edition' auto updates....seriously dude?

Have you not heard BigRed and other discuss the difference between hard copy/ebook rules and the enhanced editions because the enhanced editions actually get updates?

Are you a regular here or not dude?...and you know I'm just giving you crap dude, it's all good!

Chaplain

True daboarder, but the same can be said of psychic cards etc.

I definitely don't think that digital is necessarily the cheaper way to go, but I think it may be the more sustainable, efficient route.

Some of my lists I would currently have to bring the BRB, Stronghold, Sororitas and/or Greyknights or Astra Militarum AND Inquisition just to play a game. Plus printed out FAQs for each book. That's just getting so silly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast