BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default The Unrealistic Artist - 40K models

Hi guys,

New to BoLS but I've been painting war-game models for a couple of years, especially 40K. In a spot of shameless self promotion (I've just started a new blog) I thought you'd like to see them!

I tend to airbrush and paint using techniques derived from the scale modelling community. I'm not really a big fan of shiny, factory fresh models and much prefer mine to look pretty weathered up, if not down right dilapidated… (see the Ork Bommer : ) ).

Anyway hope you like them. My plan on the blog is to start some free tutorials and guides but until then I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, so please drop me a line whenever you like.

cheers

Paul

Ork Bommer

Imperial Guard Valkyrie

Tau Riptide

www.theunrealisticartist.com

The Valk and the Riptide are gorgeous, but for a lot of the paint chipping on the Bommer, I think you went overboard with the sponge and you can clearly make out a pattern in it.

You sure that's sponged, Kage? Looks like it could be salt- or hairspray-weathered.

Very nice stuff. That Riptide is especially menacing.

Occuli Imperator

I like them, but I prefer my models shiney fresh into a campaign
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

loving that Valky, complete with fully detailed interior with lift off roof, now that's modelling skill and dedication for you....

I just glued my Rhino doors shut because I got fed up with them flapping open all the time
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

I love the flyers. Though ignore Wolfies shiny Ork theory, add MORE DAMAGE!!!

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

I love it personally, I'm a sucker for the hardcore weathered look. The Riptide especially looks great!
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Chaplain Kage View Post
    ...for a lot of the paint chipping on the Bommer, I think you went overboard with the sponge and you can clearly make out a pattern in it.
    @BC Kage I would accept that criticism, as it's a pretty accurate description of what happened. Great fun to do though! : ) You've got a good eye as most people don't spot that...

The pictures are in chronological order, with the bommer being the first vehicle I ever tackled and the riptide being the most recent, so hopefully you can see some progression.

When I paint up another Orky subject I'll go just as crazy with the rust and overall neglect, but I'll have more knowledge of how to apply the paint chips in a realistic way.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Spot on, it was several tiny sponges endlessly dabbing on paint with some brushwork as well. Took blinkin' ages! : )

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast