BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Vassal and our community.

How do?

So things seem to be settling down again here on BOLS. And whilst like any Forum we have our arguments, and some descend into silliness, for the most part we all get along pretty well.

And I think Vassal 40k is the next step for us, provided it works as I hope. You see, I've been expressing an opinion that the Daemon Summoning list may not be all that scary. And naturally there are those think I'm a bit soft in the head. Net result? I've sort of arranged a transatlantic slugfest with Caitsidhe. My Necrons against the hypothetical Daemon Bomb of Ultimate Beardydoomdoom. More a gentlemanly game than a hardcore 'guts out' brawl. Just to see if I'm right or not.

Provided all goes smoothly, this could be very very cool for the future. Any time there's a ding-dong about whether a given list really is as nasty as feared, it can be put to the test. Doesn't even need that quasi-friction either. Could be as simple as just playing against each other.

I'm up for it. How about you? Could be good for the community, as it can bring a sense of solid cohesion otherwise lacking when we're thousands of miles apart. Good games are good for everyone! Someone just won a big league Tournament, and you fancy a crack at them? Vassal! Thinking of procuring a shiny new army, but aren't sure if it will work as you might like? Vassal!

So, come on you pansies! LAST ONE TO DIE IS A SISSY!*

*The battle cry of Mercenary Knight Regiment, Volands Venators.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Of course the big difference is that on Vassal someone wil have access to the 100s of daemons to be summoned, whereas in reality most players won't have enough to feild those that are manifest.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I've tried out vassal, and found it to be a huge pain to do anything. The user interface was terrible. I've heard similar from others. Now, maybe we just missed something, but I dunno.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I've tried out vassal, and found it to be a huge pain to do anything. The user interface was terrible. I've heard similar from others. Now, maybe we just missed something, but I dunno.
    I haven't used Vassal, but have used a similar program for card games called OCTGN. It's also pretty damned clunky, but that's the nature of a program that's intended to be adaptable to any given system, it only works as well as whoever implemented the adaptation could handle making it. And you're depending on whoever did it to have correctly implemented the rules for whatever you're trying to play, or at the very least it can handle whatever is required to make things work.

Veteran-Sergeant

A European team asked last years BAO Champ if she would join their team this summer. Someone suggested they use Vassal for practice. I don't think they've been able to complete one game, and I think they scraped the idea of using it altogether. I'll check with her later today just to make sure though.

Compared to Vassal, 40k on the table top will seem ULTRA fast paced. Good idea, but I expect both of you to say 'F*** this!' within the first 10 minutes.