BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Cool things you've found in 7th Edition.

Morning all, thought I'd start a topic for all the cool things you've found while reading the new rules.

I'll start with my current favourite:

Template weapons can now fire into buildings (fire point/access point) and open topped vehicles, causes d6 wounds at the strength and AP of the weapon.

Anyone got any Marshmallows? :P
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

That rule actually made me put my DE on the shelf until they get an updated codex.

Veteran-Sergeant

Blasts, they work the same (from what I see) with the exception of the Apocalyptic Mega-blast. The Apocalyptic Mega-blast appears to work like a direct fire barrage weapon. You are required to have LOS yet when determining where the shot is coming from, assume it is coming from the center of the blast. (And hits on vehicles are on the side, as if it were barrage)

Page 158

Apocalyptic Mega-blast (5"/7"/10")

To determine whether a unit wounded by an Apocalyptic Mega-blast weapon is allowed a cover save, and when determining Wound allocation, always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the apocalyptic blast marker, instead of from the firing model.
    Hits from Apocalyptic Mega-blast weapons made against vehicles are always resolved against their side armour.

- - - Updated - - -

Jinking, it's now a 4+ cover save but the decision to jink happens before hits are made. Also, if you decide to jink you have to snap fire next turn.

Page 167

When a unit with any models with the Jink special rule is selected as a target for a shooting attack, you may declare that it will Jink. The decision must be made before any To Hit rolls have been made. If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with the special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn.

- - - Updated - - -

Interceptor and Skyfire, it appears that if you have the Skyfire special rule you have to snap fire at all targets unless it is a Flyer, Flying Monstrous Creature or Skimmer. (Then you use your regular ballistic skill) It looks like Interceptor does nothing to help Skyfire now.

Page 167

"Interceptor
    At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight. If this rule is used, the weapon cannot be fired in the next turn, but the firing model can shoot a different weapon if it has one."

Page 171

"Skyfire
    A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule, fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous Creatures and Skimmers, but it can only fire Snap Shots against other targets."

- - - Updated - - -

Barrage weapons now use their minimum range on their weapon's profile (if applicable) when firing indirectly. You can ignore the weapon's minimum range (if applicable) if you fire directly.

Page 160:

All Barrage Weapons use blast markers and consequently use the rules for Blast weapons, as indicated by their profile, with the following exceptions:

Barrage weapons can fire indirectly. This means the can fire at a target that they do not have line of sight to, as long as the target is beyond their minimum range (if applicable). When firing directly, the Ballistic Skill of the firer is not subtracted from the scatter distance; unless a Hit! is rolled on the scatter dice, the blast marker always scatters a full 2D6". If a Barrage weapon has line of sight to its target it can fire directly, even if the target is within its minimum range.
    To determine whether a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is allowed a cover save, and when determining Wound allocation, always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker, instead of from the firing model. Hits against vehicles are always resolved against their side armour.

I, being an CMS Player, found all the rejoicing about the Faq to the Helldrake amusing. It seems as if most people assume that all it right with the world. I didn't even bat at eye at the change because I had no problem with it. This is because:

1) Nothing prevents a Helldrake from just dropping to Hover when it needs to fire any direction it likes (and/or protect its aft).
    2) In Hover is the most durable Skimmer in the game.
    3) It also benefits from the improved Skimmer Jink.
    4) Taking even MORE Helldrakes is painfully easy in this edition and people can't complain about it because <gasp> that 360 thing has been fixed.

Split Fire and Counter-Attack no longer need a Leadership check to activate.

Area terrain is gone. Craters are a specific terrain type which grants a 6+ cover save, but a +2 to the cover save of troops Gone to Ground within (which I like, because that's how craters work IRL!)

Force Weapons now work by activating a 1 WC psychic power *before* combat, rather than an LD check to cause an unsaved wound to Instant Death.

Precision Shots are now much more restricted as Characters don't automatically get them (which means that the Exarch power Marksman's Eye now *grants* Precision Shots, and still on a 5+ at that).

Shooting is now handled with all shots by one weapon class, then another and so on until all the different types of weapons in the firing unit are fired. That means there's now even more granularity to directional shooting, as wounds are still allocated to the closest model to the firer.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 05-28-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Battle-Brother

P103
    Outside forces...
    Reading this shows unsupported characters will not be able to rock up on a unit, challenge and fight and kill the poor Squad Sgt,not get hit back win the combat and maybe make the unit run away.
    All the squad can hit the character, even if fighting in a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I, being an CMS Player, found all the rejoicing about the Faq to the Helldrake amusing. It seems as if most people assume that all it right with the world. I didn't even bat at eye at the change because I had no problem with it. This is because:

1) Nothing prevents a Helldrake from just dropping to Hover when it needs to fire any direction it likes (and/or protect its aft).
    2) In Hover is the most durable Skimmer in the game.
    3) It also benefits from the improved Skimmer Jink.
    4) Taking even MORE Helldrakes is painfully easy in this edition and people can't complain about it because <gasp> that 360 thing has been fixed.
    Okay so you switch to Hover mode and then my turn, I fire a Lascannon at it and blow it up. Yep smart move there.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

Quote Originally Posted by RGilbert26 View Post
    Okay so you switch to Hover mode and then my turn, I fire a Lascannon at it and blow it up. Yep smart move there.
    <chuckles> If your Lascannon is still there, sure you will get your shot(s). As I pointed out above, you still have to hit me, get the required result, and hope I don't avoid it by improved Jink or natural Invulnerable save depending on the situation. Anti-Tank (vehicle) weapons have actually decreased slightly in effectiveness too. The difference is that instead of facing 1-3 Helldrakes, you are now facing a likely 3-6 Helldrakes. For the record, I have taken my Helldrake into Hover often enough prior to 7th Edition, just as my Winged Daemon Prince spent most of his time NOT flying. It is just a matter of practice. The ultimate power of a Helldrake is the a Torrent Baleflamer, high strength and AP-3. It remains an efficient troop killer, likely the most efficient in the game.

If I can stay in the air and burn you to crisp, I will. If I have to hover now and then, I will do so without hesitation. With more Helldrakes in the air I can swarm in ways where some overshoot and other fly short and achieve exactly the same effect I did before. All the changes to the rules have done is ensure that you will fight MORE Helldrakes, applied by people taking greater care and precision in their flight patterns. The change in the rules just takes away the ability to complain about them. As someone who has frequently had to try and kill Skimmers less durable than my Helldrake, I can honestly say that I feel I'll still get a good exchange on my points. It is always a logistical problem.

Yeah, but as soon as a Burninator Drake is forced to Jink, it's not able to gob at anyone next turn, because Snap Shots and that. That's a mighty big trade off - Survival, or Attack. It may prove enough to restrict it's popularity in the long run.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

How do you have an improved Jink?

You now have choose to Jink before being shot at, if you Jink you can't fire for a turn.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast