BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Competitive inquisition?

The question is how would you run a inquisitor army in 7th

This thread assumes that it is possible to do inquisitor armies that are competitive. Though I can accept arguments against ( exhibit a " looking at you daemon host")

I am in the process of painting a inquisitor army which is primary a painting project, but dang it if I am going to play it I would like to win.

Of course un bound makes selection easier but probably winning harder so as I see it there are 2 flavours that can be run.

Grey knights older codex but recent FAQ or inquisitor new codex but missing FAQ.

The differences are subtle and head scratching.

Grey knight can run 4 inquisitors and 9 warbands (6 uber scoring)
    Inquisitor can run 5 inquisitors and 7 warbands (6 uber scoring)
    Both are dependant on coteaz

Inquisitors death cult and crusaders have only power swords were as grey knights have free access so win in this regard

Grey knights don't get biomancy and malfic powers but don't easily peril to santic, they loose the psykic barrage.
    Inquistors have free access to all disciplines plus retain psychic barrage.

Inquisitors have priests which help out massively with ld 8 warbands that have no inquisitor attached.
    Grey knights have banisters which are only good against daemons but with malfic powers are more common

Grey knights have greater access to other units such as assassins where as inquisitors have to ally with grey knights to get 1 and end up taking grey knight troops.

Of course a FAQ in the next week could make all this moot, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Which route is best?

Davel
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Chapter-Master

Inquisition is a bit too shallow to be competitive on its own, but it does have good options. GKs aren't in the Inquisition codex, though .
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Inquisition is a bit too shallow to be competitive on its own, but it does have good options. GKs aren't in the Inquisition codex, though .
    Hey don't forget be gets surprise..... after all n one expects the Inquisition.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Captain

Best you can do for competitive Inquisition lists is to rely on the GK codex. Use Coteaz to get the Warbands as troops, use your Elites for the Snipers, and then ally in some Inquisition for extra warbands and inquisitors.

I am waiting for the new GK codex, to see if they changed the power weapon to power sword armament for the GK Crusaders. I'm going to have an all-Crusader army with Coteaz at their head.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I am going to be running an inquisitor alongside my knight errant today for servo-skull enhanced melta pewpew. Seems to me like inquisition is a great way to get cheap utility with your other armies.

The Main question for me is how to do an Inquisition list without going Unbound, the only way I can see running a competitive list though is with GK Battleforged / Combined arms (these are the same thing right?)

I'm trying to get an Ordo Xenos list worked out using Sternguard and Kantor, if the FAQ stays as it is then they get Objective Secured even in an unbound list....though I expect this to change.

In an unbound list I'm looking at playing GK Stormraven, AM Vendettas, Inquisitors, Tempestus Scions, Sternguard, GK DK (all in an Ordo Xenos colour scheme). Probably throw in some war bands with bolters and an attached priest.

I really like the FAQ for war band psykers, now we don't need an Inquisitor to give unit buffs, pyromancy is pretty cool for a 10 point model, with a cheap heavy flamer as the Primaris, though divination and santic are also very cool for buffs. Sanctuary on a squad of Crusaders and even DCA would be amazing.

In order to get this lot into a Battle forged list I'm looking at formations to perhaps do two lists one GK + AM/MT +Inquisitor based and one SM/BA + GK + MT formation.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Sergeant

Well since they are not GK and instead codex inq
    cotez and max units of 1 psyker and 2 warrior aco the turn one start summoning demons

Quote Originally Posted by Thiazi View Post
    Well since they are not GK and instead codex inq
    cotez and max units of 1 psyker and 2 warrior aco the turn one start summoning demons
    Thing with this is the perils on any double if you are not chaos in nature.

Now a warp charge is fifty fifty so to be relatively sure of getting the warp charge 1 power off you roll 2dice

If you want to roll a 3 warp charge you roll 6 dice

And if you roll a 1,2,3,5 and 6 your fine any other roll or rolling 7 dice is perils ( it's shaven rattling gun syndrome)

And that discipline has a lot of warp charge 3 ( 3 out of 7).

It would be nice and fluffy for certain inquisitors to summon up daemons but the rules don't match the fluff.

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/