BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Yeah, I'm not sure how much the new system actually brings to the game. It's kind of novel to have to sit and think on how much you're going to throw at a power, but it's very abusable and it's one more rather clunky arbitrary mechanic to a game filled with clunky arbitrary mechanics. It would have been better to just write balanced psychic powers in the first place, and allowing you to Deny blessings and the like in some way.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much the new system actually brings to the game. It's kind of novel to have to sit and think on how much you're going to throw at a power, but it's very abusable and it's one more rather clunky arbitrary mechanic to a game filled with clunky arbitrary mechanics. It would have been better to just write balanced psychic powers in the first place, and allowing you to Deny blessings and the like in some way.
    Actually I think the system of former fantasy iterations would have been very good.
    Set difficulties for powers, make powers hard hitting, generate Warpcharges according to mastery levels, roll dice -> add them -> number you rolled + ML is difficulty to dispel -> add in items and USR helping to cast/dispell so you can bring each army at around the same level.
    Last edited by Charon; 06-02-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Maths. Not math.

Tsk.
    That depends where you're from mate, US call it Math, we in UK put the s on the end.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Brother-Captain

Yeah, it's silly to completely overhaul a simple and effective method (roll Ld check, get on with it) in an attempt to balance a few powers which could have just been changed themselves rather than the entire system. Or just not made obviously abusable in the first place.

I think it would have been better to allow such things as psychic hoods and relative mastery levels to affect deny rolls on blessings when the appropriate psyker is in range of either the caster or the target. Also might have been more challenging if deny successes simply removed successes from the attempt instead of having to roll as many denials as the opponent had successes, however that would have likely nerfed psychic powers into nigh-uselessness.

I do think there is a sliver of strategy to it now though. There isn't always "One Power to Rule Them All" and its very situational which power is the one you do not want happening on any particular turn. Maybe you're lining up a game winning charge and don't want your intended target to fire overwatch at full BS, or maybe you really don't want that buffed out unit of conscripts to go all predator on you. I'll agree that in most circumstances some powers will be scarier than others, but that won't always be the case. Especially if you are playing WH40K:Schizo Edition. (By which I mean maelstrom missions, as they are ridiculous and will have you running around doing the most random stuff for almighty points.)

There isn't always "One Power to Rule Them All" and its very situational which power is the one you do not want happening on any particular turn.
    Most of the time there is a "one power to rule them all" cause you only have access to a selected few and out of the entire school there are most often only one or two really useful powers. So its very obvious whats going to hurt you and what not. If you are especially unlucky you end up with no "superior power" at all.
    Witchfire for example is rarely wort it. First you have to successful cast it (with the rare possibility of a deny), then you have to actually hit, then ou have to wound and then your opponent gets his saving throws. While on the other hand buffs never suffer the handicap of beeing directed at an enemy unit (thus no deny bonuses) and are "fire and forget".

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    That depends where you're from mate, US call it Math, we in UK put the s on the end.
    You mean the UK isn't the center of the universe?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Its short for Mathematics, so it should be a plural

I think you mean India, if you follow the 40k canon.

I think people forget that there are trends to odds as well. With 2d6 the success curve as you dropped leadership was much less drastic until you got below ld7.

Now? There is a VERY good chance of failure no matter what amount of dice you throw.

Think about ld 9 or 10.
    You had few roll combinations that would fail. Now it is very much possible for 4 dice to roll under 4 even with the odds in your favor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast