BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Fizyx View Post
    How do you get 29? My calculations (numerical analysis, 10000 iterations) is 23.5 with a HUGE deviation (2-sigma of 18-ish.)

Of course, running them in pairs doubles the statistical mean, but also reduces the relative deviation tremendously. I would definitely advocate running them in pairs.
    That's interesting.....what's the average number of turns that the Terrivigon lasts before rolling doubles? I figure there is a 1 in 3 chance in any given turn, but I'm not a stastics guy, so I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorEvil View Post
    That's interesting.....what's the average number of turns that the Terrivigon lasts before rolling doubles? I figure there is a 1 in 3 chance in any given turn, but I'm not a stastics guy, so I'm sure it's more complicated than that.
    There isn't really a way to say "on average you'll get X turns". The closest you can get is "X% chance of rolling doubles on turn one, Y% chance of lasting till turn 2, Z% chance of lasting till turn 3..." and so on.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorEvil View Post
    Well, that statistical average of # of turns is actually not difficult at all. The problem is, it is nearly useless.

What Dark said is, though. You can calculate the % chance pretty easily once you know the chance of a single event. I'm in a hurry, I'll chug the number later if you like.

Battle-Brother

genestealers are good too! multiple outflanking psykers which are close combat monsters and still dirt cheap(ish) and are scoring units?

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Fizyx View Post
    Well, that statistical average of # of turns is actually not difficult at all. The problem is, it is nearly useless.

What Dark said is, though. You can calculate the % chance pretty easily once you know the chance of a single event. I'm in a hurry, I'll chug the number later if you like.
    4/9 in any given turn i think... which would mean even if you took a full 5 youd be lucky to get one through a full game... but FREE GAUNTS!!!!

First-Captain

ive playtested them recently, not worth their points, the gaunts easily killed and the tervs at I1 tend to die, then again may be my bad dice

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    ive playtested them recently, not worth their points, the gaunts easily killed and the tervs at I1 tend to die, then again may be my bad dice
    One or two are solid, I think, but this is the reason why a 5 Tervigon spam list doesn't really scare me. It sounds intimidating, but ends up being rather impotent.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

well i did have 3 but i think only 2 are needed, as u dnt often have enough gaunts to spawn 3 on turn one.

Spawning turn one= doing it wrong.

You can really only rely on a Tervigon for one or two squads of gaunts.Don't pop them out to get shot out when you can have them sit tight in your handy little 6 wound monster. Tervigons are essentially transports for nids, so why disembark before you've reached the enemy? You only want to start spawning the turn you can get into assault.

Heck, Tarrandus, I've had fantastic results with leaving the tervigon and the minimum squad I took to get him on an objective while the rest of my army rips the opponent to shreds. That way you hold one objective in Capture in Control, or two in Sieze Ground, and then go contest everything else. Most of the time I'm Catalysting the Tervigon, as everything else is munching down too far away. I know that leaves me vulnerable to the non-linear-ness of current 40k, but my opponent can't hide that he has outflankers or deep strikers, so I can anticipate that. All good. Definitely run double tervigons with minimum troops otherwise. Heh, I had a tervigon explode a contesting land raider yesterday. It was unexpected, and great.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast