BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Questions about article: 40K: Ten Vehicles You NEED To Pull Off the Shelf

I see that the Necron Monolith is on this list.

"Necron Monoliths - Think of it like a slow Land Raider with a lot of dirty tricks up it's sleeve."

As a new player, and new Necron player, why is this? I started playing back in 6th and never bothered to pick up any Monoliths... so why is now the time to buy them? What are the dirty tricks that I am going to use them for now, why are they stronger, etc? FYI - I have yet to pick up the 7th ed (the new edition) books. Just started listening to some of the podcasts about it.
    Army - W/L/T
    CSM - 2/3/0, Necrons - 2/2/1, Tau - 0/0/0

Mostly it received the buff all vehicles received: only weapons with AP2 or better have a chance of destroying it in one hit. So because like the Land Raider it's AV14 all round, with four Hull Points, it's a pain in the arse to get rid of.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Chadddada View Post
    I see that the Necron Monolith is on this list.

"Necron Monoliths - Think of it like a slow Land Raider with a lot of dirty tricks up it's sleeve."

As a new player, and new Necron player, why is this? I started playing back in 6th and never bothered to pick up any Monoliths... so why is now the time to buy them? What are the dirty tricks that I am going to use them for now, why are they stronger, etc? FYI - I have yet to pick up the 7th ed (the new edition) books. Just started listening to some of the podcasts about it.
    In 6th Edition the vehicle damage chart was as follows:

1-2 = Crew Shaken
    3 = Crew Stunned
    4 = Weapon Destroyed
    5 = Immobilized
    6+ = Explodes!

The problem occurs when a a 300+ point vehicle takes penetrating hit early in the game and is completely destroyed (Explodes! result). I.e., the "golden bb". Anything that is going to cause a penetrating hit on an AV14 vehicle most likely has AP 2 or 1. Making the chance to get an Explodes! result on a 5+ or a 4+.

In 7th edition, the chart now is as follows:

1-3 = Crew Shaken
    4 = Crew Stunned
    5 = Weapon Destroyed
    6 = Immobilized
    7 = Explodes!

Thus it is much much less likely to get an Explodes! result as the only way to get that is with an AP 2 or AP 1 weapon.

This slightly increased survivability from being 1-shotted is a slight boost to heavy vehicles (which was the point of the article).

Of course, the downside is that Monoliths are most likely to have AP1 and AP2 weapons picking on them.

But, it fielded alongside other vehicles, you can spread that attention somewhat.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Awesome! Thanks for the replies all.
    Army - W/L/T
    CSM - 2/3/0, Necrons - 2/2/1, Tau - 0/0/0

This isn't entirely true:

1. Open-Top Vehicles till add +1 to the roll do they not?
    2 Fliers can be nailed by a single shot if the result is immobilized (and they fail the required test).

Ultimately the problem with vehicles getting super fragile in 6th Edition never had anything to do with anti-tank weapons. They existed in plentiful numbers even back in 5th, let alone in 6th where plenty more were created. The fragility of vehicles was created by Hull Points, period. All the new rule does is make anti-tank weapons slightly less effective. This is a gold star to make you feel better, since most vehicles are blown apart by the loss of Hull.

Veteran-Sergeant

Also the vehicle ram rules are 100 times better now, so it's a slow but dam effective tank rammed!

Monolith would have been acceptable if it didn't mishap on deepstrike. As it is, with the nerf to that, the nerf in that lance weapons, melta weapons, chainfists can destroy it easily enough, and the fact that it is a skimmer that can't jink means they will stay on my shelf.

A 30pt discount in points doesn't make up for what it lost. Maybe if it had some sort of protection OR kept its immunity to misshaping, Id use them.