BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Which option do I go with?!

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Templars- Righteous Fury!

0 0%
  • Imperial Fists- Sons of Dorn!

1 5.88%
  • White Scars- A crap ton of bikes!

1 5.88%
  • Imperial Knights-Bringing the slaughter!

0 0%
  • Ultramarines- Don't hate me, I love Vanilla!

1 5.88%
  • Iron Hands- Flesh is weak!

3 17.65%
  • Mentor Legion- No one knows much about!

2 11.76%
  • Homebrew Chapter 1

3 17.65%
  • Homebrew Chapter 2

1 5.88%
  • Other-Specify!

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me decide...

So I in a bit of a conundrum. I feel like I'm kind of lost as far as what I want to do in the hobby. When I first started, I rushed out and after some initial research, and not reading any of the HH I narrowed it down to either Black Templars or Space Wolves. In the store I made a gut call and went with Space Wolves, because who doesn't like Vikings in space who worship the Allfather? And I didn't know much about Black Templars. As I started collecting and building/painting and became fully engrossed, I started reading the HH novels. That is where I started becoming torn on who I really wanted to play as. I started buying IG because I love the idea of a horde of normal dudes with flashlights dying for my cause. (Don't hate me, it's my Napoleon complex). The IG army I have grows all the time and that wont change. I also have a 10 man Deathwatch team, which is easy enough to manage so they're safe as well. Where I feel I'm lost is that now I am enamored with so many chapters and have so many ideas for homegrown chapters, my wallet and wife just can't take it. Add that into the fact that I built my own table and started on terrain and the Knights recently came out and yeah, I'm lost. So my question is this, do I stay small and do something like stay dedicated to one chapter which I want you guys to help me pick, or do I go all out and add to my IG/AM force and go with a detachment of Knights and eventually a Titan, or 2.

Chapter-Master

I voted the Mentors... and let me tell you why:

1) As a Knights of Blood player, I have had a lot of fun with hipster 40k. It's just really entertaining to have a chapter that technically already exists, but nobody knows anything about, so you get to feel slightly superior while still enjoying benefit #2...
    2) When you play a little-known chapter, you still have a lot of room to invent your own fluff. For example - my Knights of Blood are misunderstood perfectionists who were excommunicated because they overthrew the wrong corrupt planetary governors (ie. the ones who were usefully corrupt and in the pocket of the Inquisition) and had already pissed off the Inquisition at an earlier point. Someone I follow on Tumblr interprets the Knights of Blood as crazed, nearly Khornate berserkers who hate the Imperium of Man... they just hate Chaos worse (mine are also berserkers, but they're selective about who they berserk all over). It's a lot of fun to combine "this is a real part of the setting and I get to enjoy that little thrill when it's referenced in print" and "look at all this awesome fluff I added to the game!"
    3) They're just... awesome. A Chapter that specializes in helping younger chapters get their sh*t together? That's amazing and amazingly weird.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I voted the Mentors... and let me tell you why:

1) As a Knights of Blood player, I have had a lot of fun with hipster 40k. It's just really entertaining to have a chapter that technically already exists, but nobody knows anything about, so you get to feel slightly superior while still enjoying benefit #2...
    2) When you play a little-known chapter, you still have a lot of room to invent your own fluff. For example - my Knights of Blood are misunderstood perfectionists who were excommunicated because they overthrew the wrong corrupt planetary governors (ie. the ones who were usefully corrupt and in the pocket of the Inquisition) and had already pissed off the Inquisition at an earlier point. Someone I follow on Tumblr interprets the Knights of Blood as crazed, nearly Khornate berserkers who hate the Imperium of Man... they just hate Chaos worse (mine are also berserkers, but they're selective about who they berserk all over). It's a lot of fun to combine "this is a real part of the setting and I get to enjoy that little thrill when it's referenced in print" and "look at all this awesome fluff I added to the game!"
    3) They're just... awesome. A Chapter that specializes in helping younger chapters get their sh*t together? That's amazing and amazingly weird.
    Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I dig the Mentors color scheme and the whole idea that they go out and help other chapters and IG forces and come back as these great tacticians. My only concern is finding Mentor legion transfers...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
    Thanks for the reply man. Yeah I dig the Mentors color scheme and the whole idea that they go out and help other chapters and IG forces and come back as these great tacticians. My only concern is finding Mentor legion transfers...
    Make your own! It's not that hard.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Theres three easy options.

1) continue your mighty space vikings and pile bodies at the feet of the allfather's throne

2) Go homebrew as long as you're consistent to your codex you can do what you want.

3) Go codex marines, make a "crusade" force and paint squads from any chapter you want.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Mentors are cool with a nice, minty fresh paint job. You get fluffy reasons for loading up on oddball kit and allying with weird groups. Back in 6th, just before I gave up on 40k, I was planning a Mentor's detachment; Storm Force 9. The idea was to use the Marine and Ork figures out of the Assault of Black Reach Box to represent a Mentor's unit using chemically neutered Orks to try to find a replacement of Assault Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by euansmith View Post
    Mentors are cool with a nice, minty fresh paint job. You get fluffy reasons for loading up on oddball kit and allying with weird groups. Back in 6th, just before I gave up on 40k, I was planning a Mentor's detachment; Storm Force 9. The idea was to use the Marine and Ork figures out of the Assault of Black Reach Box to represent a Mentor's unit using chemically neutered Orks to try to find a replacement of Assault Marines.
    That's funny because I had a similar idea but my Orks would've been less feral and a bit more organized.

Blood Ravens: Go with an unbound army and attach a Librarian to every squad.

Initiate

me i'd go for a chapter of your own creation, but pick a codex and stick to it and enjoy yourself its easy to get distracted and diverted i'm very guilty of this over recent years but i'm getting back on track now and the frustration is passing off as is the distractions....or i'd stick to what you know and love best the Space Wolves
    here today gone tomorrow?....nah fun is always here

Well I might have went with Dark Angels but instead I would go with one of their offspring Chapters.

Guardians of the Covenant

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant[/url]

[url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast