BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Which option do I go with?!

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Templars- Righteous Fury!

0 0%
  • Imperial Fists- Sons of Dorn!

1 5.88%
  • White Scars- A crap ton of bikes!

1 5.88%
  • Imperial Knights-Bringing the slaughter!

0 0%
  • Ultramarines- Don't hate me, I love Vanilla!

1 5.88%
  • Iron Hands- Flesh is weak!

3 17.65%
  • Mentor Legion- No one knows much about!

2 11.76%
  • Homebrew Chapter 1

3 17.65%
  • Homebrew Chapter 2

1 5.88%
  • Other-Specify!

5 29.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
    me i'd go for a chapter of your own creation, but pick a codex and stick to it and enjoy yourself its easy to get distracted and diverted i'm very guilty of this over recent years but i'm getting back on track now and the frustration is passing off as is the distractions....or i'd stick to what you know and love best the Space Wolves
    Yeah even with my vanilla marines I have a couple of ideas that I can't settle on. Iron Hands successor on a crusade for Ferris' head or a naval/void heavy, feral Ultramarines successor chapter. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
    Yeah even with my vanilla marines I have a couple of ideas that I can't settle on. Iron Hands successor on a crusade for Ferris' head or a naval/void heavy, feral Ultramarines successor chapter. Thanks to everyone for their replies.
    You've got to come back and let us know what you decide, when you decide. And then post pictures!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

I would say pick an army that does what you want it to do, be it CC, bike heavy, or shoot the enemy to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    Well I might have went with Dark Angels but instead I would go with one of their offspring Chapters.

Guardians of the Covenant

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant[/url]

[url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Covenant[/url]
    Ahh Dark Angels. Probably the last loyalist chapter I'd pick to play. I'd probably play Chaos before them.
    Last edited by Reaper45; 06-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.

I selected "Other Specify".

In my view whichever option you take is your own and without understanding your likes and dislikes, beyond what you have already told us, and what about the background of each chapter you like it would be almost impossible for me to suggest which of the above you should go for. That being said I do have the following advice:

1. Avoid homegrown chapters. I started out doing this, however soon gave in to the constant lure of the awesome fluff and models of the "official" chapters. The HH series, FW chapter specific minatures and GW suppliments and codex will largely be out of your grasp if you go for a custome chapter. Equally each of the existing chapters, and there are thousands!!!!, will help you in establishing the background, playstyle, lore, army construct, rivalries and much more. All of this will allow you to delve deeper into the selected chapter and add a whole new dimention to the minatures you have selected to own.

2. Allies vs Armies. The new edition(s) of 40K has opened up the game and the gaming comminity to creating armies comprised of smaller independent components. In short there is nothing stopping you creating an army with every unit being from a different chapter if you really wanted to. This segmented approach to space marine "armies" is supported by the fluff as well as post the Horus Heresy chapters often support one another by sending companies, detachments or in some cases single units to support larger campaigns. You only need to look as far as the Appocalypse campaign to have a single "army" comprising of Imperial Guard, Blood Angels, Salamanders and many many more space marine chapters who where involved as part of the "imperial force". Personally I have a 4000 - 5000 point Iron Hands force which consists of a main Iron Hands chapter and 2 smaller detachments of second founding chapters. Once these have matured I plan on adding a smaller force of space wolves to complement the force and join them on certain "missions".

3. Consider your existing armies. As mentioned above, allying in 40k is a major part of the game, background fluff and the hobby. You mention that you have a growing force of Imperial Guard, as do I, and so it would make sence to determin which chapters would likely aid your force of guard in engagements. Cadian, catachan, etc forces are spread throught the galaxy and are therefore theoritically able to ally with nearly any other chapter however other imperial guard forces are less well know and are situated within certain sectors. If this is the case for your guard then I would research which chapters come from the same sector and would therefore (in terms of fluff) more likely ally with them.

4. Which models/ colour scheme do you prefer? The look and esthetic of the models has to be a large factor in an army. If you dont fall in love with the way the army looks/ will eventually look then from personal experience you will eventually sell the army.

I hope the above helps in some way, shape or form
    Iron Hands fanboy since 2008.
    Iron Hands [4k], Brotherhood of Iron [1k], Sons of Medusa [500]

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I selected "Other Specify".

In my view whichever option you take is your own and without understanding your likes and dislikes, beyond what you have already told us, and what about the background of each chapter you like it would be almost impossible for me to suggest which of the above you should go for. That being said I do have the following advice:

1. Avoid homegrown chapters. I started out doing this, however soon gave in to the constant lure of the awesome fluff and models of the "official" chapters. The HH series, FW chapter specific minatures and GW suppliments and codex will largely be out of your grasp if you go for a custome chapter. Equally each of the existing chapters, and there are thousands!!!!, will help you in establishing the background, playstyle, lore, army construct, rivalries and much more. All of this will allow you to delve deeper into the selected chapter and add a whole new dimention to the minatures you have selected to own.

2. Allies vs Armies. The new edition(s) of 40K has opened up the game and the gaming comminity to creating armies comprised of smaller independent components. In short there is nothing stopping you creating an army with every unit being from a different chapter if you really wanted to. This segmented approach to space marine "armies" is supported by the fluff as well as post the Horus Heresy chapters often support one another by sending companies, detachments or in some cases single units to support larger campaigns. You only need to look as far as the Appocalypse campaign to have a single "army" comprising of Imperial Guard, Blood Angels, Salamanders and many many more space marine chapters who where involved as part of the "imperial force". Personally I have a 4000 - 5000 point Iron Hands force which consists of a main Iron Hands chapter and 2 smaller detachments of second founding chapters. Once these have matured I plan on adding a smaller force of space wolves to complement the force and join them on certain "missions".

3. Consider your existing armies. As mentioned above, allying in 40k is a major part of the game, background fluff and the hobby. You mention that you have a growing force of Imperial Guard, as do I, and so it would make sence to determin which chapters would likely aid your force of guard in engagements. Cadian, catachan, etc forces are spread throught the galaxy and are therefore theoritically able to ally with nearly any other chapter however other imperial guard forces are less well know and are situated within certain sectors. If this is the case for your guard then I would research which chapters come from the same sector and would therefore (in terms of fluff) more likely ally with them.

4. Which models/ colour scheme do you prefer? The look and esthetic of the models has to be a large factor in an army. If you dont fall in love with the way the army looks/ will eventually look then from personal experience you will eventually sell the army.

I hope the above helps in some way, shape or form
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah the problem with homegrown chapters, at least for me, is that I tend to start with a good idea, and then I'll be hit with another good idea, and then I'll have 4 different homegrown chapter possibilities. And my ideas work, but god, I could be writing a book for all of the background fluff I've come up with on these guys so far. And you're right, I can't use a kick *** model like Grimaldus for my Iron Hands successor chapter idea or Calgar for my feral Ultramarines successor chapter, so I can agree with that. And then getting a color scheme that isn't beaten to death is also a difficulty with a homebrew as well as making custom transfers for shoulder guards.

At the moment, I've decided to have 10 Mentors join my existing IG/AM army as "tutors" which I've seen mentioned in the fluff on (yeah I know it's not Lexicanum), Wikia 40k. I also have my 10 Deathwatch SM's and will have to decide which chapters those guys will be. My wife bought me a Knight for my birthday so I have the option of picking up a couple of more and adding that detachment to my IG/AM force.

At the moment, my IG/AM force is as follows. It's the 9th Terran (I am so cocky to have my guys be from the homeworld right?). I use the principalities of Old Terra as individual companies. 1st Jerman Grenadiers, 4th Merican Rangers, 45th Albyon Rifles, etc, etc. I am using both GW and non GW as different units to show some as professional troops and other units as rich Terrans who have bought commissions in the Terran army, i.e. 8th Urshian Jagers (Napoleonic Russians), 14th Franc Lancers (Napoleonic French Lancers) as Rough Riders. I haven't decided on colors yet. My Catachans (Urshian Commandos) and my Cadians (Merican Rangers) are going to be greens and greys. I haven't decided yet. The commission based units will vary as is par for the course in the 40K universe.

As far as if I go with the Knights I have a theme picked out based on my Irish family crest.

Models wise for Space Marines, I like bikes, devastators, Chaplains, scouts and termies. Tactical marines are ok, but not a fan of assault marines. I thought about doing just those for a homebrew chapter but I've already discussed the drawbacks.

I think that's part of the reason why I fell out of love with the sons of Russ. The books, imo are poorly written AND the models are just so blah. Lots of cool options sure but I just didn't fall in love with them.
    Last edited by Reaper45; 06-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12