BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Which upgrade kit should I buy?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forgeworld.

2 40.00%
  • Puppetswar.

0 0%
  • Kromlech.

0 0%
  • Something else - noted before.

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Sourcing Cybernetic Bits

I've decided to turn my copy of the limited edition captain #2 into a counts-as Captain Tycho. The one bit I need that I don't already own is a cybernetic hand to replace the power fist - my idea for how to represent the Dead Man's Hand (on Tycho it makes his on-Initiative attacks, with Armorbane and the effects of Digital Weapons). I'm trying to decide what do use.

As I see it, I have the following options:

Forgeworld's character conversion set. It'll set me back about $20, but it'll give me a bunch of potentially useful bits. The biggest negative is that the only bionic right arm option is technically a "holding the gun" arm, which is going to give it a slightly odd pose.

The Forgeworld kit includes a pair of legs... which means that given the way GW packages their minis (limited legs, extras of everything else) it's also as good as buying an extra Space Marine! Good for an alt sergeant for any of my existing squads.

This one will cost me a little less, probably in the high teens. Puppetwar's kit is similarly limited, but has the advantage of a chainsword arm. It's not exactly what I was picturing the Dead Man's Hand looking like, but it's nevertheless pretty cool. Other than the power sword arm (also a possible choice, given that the Dead Man's Hand ignores armor saves - weirdly, is still hasn't been FAQed to get a specific AP value...) the only "just a fist" option has the same problem as the Forgeworld pack.

This kit has the advantage of coming with two sets of bionic legs, as well as a bionic torso. Much more bang for my buck! Two extra Space Marines for (less than) the price of one!

The forerunner. $15 shipped from eBay. I'm not sure if the arms are reversable - if they are, I'd use the buzz-saw arm! - but even the straight-up chainsword arm is pretty cool. It's the cheapest, though the purchase won't net me any spare Space Marines.

So... I have two questions:

1) Do you have any other suggestions for Space Marine scale bionics? Unless time, or some poster's enthusiasm, brings me around to the chainsword arm way of thinking, I still prefer a more understated robot fist.

2) If you don't have any suggestion, which of the above kits do you think would be coolest?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Anvil Industries.

They're cheaper, and better quality than anything else I've seen available. Seriously, their stuff is lovely. My preheresy Iron Hands run on their bits.

[url]http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_94[/url]
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Those Anvil bits are awesome. Which one would I use to make a right hand held in a fist?

Chapter-Master

Nope, scratch that - I misread the model. It turns out that I need a pointing left arm. So... I want to buy [URL="http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_94&product_id=322"]this[/URL] one?

So I can make a dude who looks like this:

Is that correct, oh ye who have actually used these products before?

I'd say that Anvil Industries look pretty good for what they do. Forge World follows.

Kromlech is your first stop for aftermarket Ork bits primarily.

Is that correct, oh ye who have actually used these products before?
    It is indeed. Those multi-part arms are great for character models. The resin's good quality stuff - not as soft as Forge World's and with generally no bubbles of mold lines (that I've spotted on any of the models I've ordered), and the price point is perfect. I really cannot sing Anvil's praises high enough - they do good work.

Anvil are amazing, so fast at shipping too! While you're ordering, look at the Spec Ops Snipers they have, they're so good

Chapter-Master

Brilliant! Well, I ordered the kit and it should be here in a week. I'm currently mulling over some shooting-centric Blood Angels lists to celebrate, and finding it not nearly as challenging as I'd thought.

look at the Spec Ops Snipers they have, they're so good
    They're even better in real life; I have a squad of ten, converted with mk 4 helmets to act as heresy-era recon marines. Just lovely sculpts.

Chapter-Master

I have ordered loads of bits from Anvil, can't recommend them enough. couple of bionic sets, one terminator sized, one marine sized, were awesome for Iron Hands.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast