BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E3 2014

Banned

Chapter-Master

Have to say the pro Sony bias in media is very strong and clear.

They slated MS for doing tech demos not games last year. This year they did nothing but games and Sony flapped around with tech demos and short prerendered scenes and the media still think Sony came out on top cos they "had suprises like Uncharted 4"

Is anew installment of your long running successful series a suprise?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Have to say the pro Sony bias in media is very strong and clear.

They slated MS for doing tech demos not games last year. This year they did nothing but games and Sony flapped around with tech demos and short prerendered scenes and the media still think Sony came out on top cos they "had suprises like Uncharted 4"

Is anew installment of your long running successful series a suprise?
    Huh? The gaming media is still notorious for being pro-Microsoft with gutter journalists like Arthur Gies or Ryan Macaffrey, paid for websites like Polygon, large gaming sites like IGN doing misleading graphics comparison videos and a staggering lack of media coverage of the Xbox One's early micro-transaction craziness. The only reason they might say Sony had a better E3 conference is because they liked the "surprises" more, and that is in quotations as aside from Phantom Dust and Littlebigplanet 3 there were no surprises in regards to exclusives because of leaks from months ago.

Umm, you do realize that a big bunch of games from both conferences were tech demos, right? Off the top of my head; Crackdown, Scalebound, Halo 5 and Tomb Raider were all CG, while anything that wasn't a live game demo would qualify as pre-rendered. Ditto Sony with Bloodborne, Dead Island 2 and Magicka 2 plus a lot of pre-rendered stuff. I'm not including games that had both CG and gameplay footage shown off. Both companies had about 2-3 live demos each. A user on Neogaf did up a list of all games shown and it turns out both companies came out pretty much identical in terms of pure numbers. What's your problem again?

If people preferred Microsoft or Sony, it came down to which new exclusives they were more excited about. Some people prefer what amounts to an exclusive Souls (i.e. Dark Souls) game, others prefer a new Crackdown. Same with Halo and Uncharted. As a personal note, I really liked both conferences and would rate them about the same if you cut out the half hour of non-game related crap Sony had. I'm edging to get an Xbox One when the Halo: Master Chief Collection comes out in preparation for Halo 5, while Sony's Bloodborne and The Order: 1886 are going to be amazing as expected.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 06-10-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

All I've heard about for the last year is how Sony is utterly destroying Xbox and how Microsoft bungles everything, yet if you look at the actual numbers, sure, Sony is outselling the Xbox, but the Xbone is still selling at a solid rate, and the gap in monthly sales has gotten smaller.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

And yet most of the major gaming websites are still wagging their tails the other way...

The reality is that the PS4 is about 2-3 million ahead in sales and is out-selling the Xbox One in Microsoft's major markets (USA, UK). Both are breaking records and everyone is happy for both companies, but Sony is ahead by a pretty significant margin at the moment. The Halo: Master Chief Collection and the Kinect-less Xbox One are the big steps towards closing the gap.

As far as the gap in monthly sales go, that was with constant price drops for Xbox One hardware and Titanfall being released. The real test of the numbers will come in the next few months with the removed Kinect.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

So what does Sony or Nintendo matter with this?
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 06-11-2014 at 02:57 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Banned

If you didn't see Nintendo's presentation you're missing out - it was a whole different level:

Not only did you have the ceo's battling each other (and Ice-T, Abe Lincon and Elijah Wood) but they teamed up with Robot Chicken:

Chapter-Master

I wish I'd seen it, but I'm picking through what I can online, but everyones busy gushing over the frankly mediocre sony and MS offerings.
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 06-11-2014 at 03:32 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Banned

When you get a chance watch the vids I posted - it's all the loony non-reveal stuff basically

Chapter-Master

Nintendo really needed to have a good showing, the lord knows their sales figures for the Wii U can't get any worse. Sadly I'm hooked by the Halo frenzy so no Wii U for me in the foreseeable future
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 06-11-2014 at 05:07 AM.
    Check out my blog!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast