BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1850pts Tyranid list. Need help and opinions!!

Flyarnt w/bleech worms-230pts
    Flyrant w/bleech worms-230pts

X2 Zoans- 100pts
    X2 Zoans- 100pts
    X2 Zoans- 100pts

X10 Horms w/t.sacs- 80pts
    X10 Terms w/t.sacs- 60pts
    X6 Genestealers+ Broodlord-130pts
    X6 Genestealers+ Broodlord-130pts

Harpy w/ TL H.Venom Cannon-140pts

Exocrine- 170pts
    Exocrine- 170pts

Aegis Defence Line

Total-1850pts

The idea is to have as many warp charges as possible while maintaining alot of targets. I'd have a total of 12+d6 wp charges.
    I kept the units f gaunt/gants small so to have mre targets and mre units to take objectives and decoys etc.
    The genestealers stay back and confer backfield synapse and control objectives on my table edge, I doubt theyd use their infiltrate being such small units, unless they can stay behing Los blocking terrain or have significant cover. Although they cud be gd decoys to get fired at instead of firing at smething else, depends on the situation.
    Harpy is gna try be a nuisance and shred off sme hull points were it can, even glide it and put it in a position to assault, if it takes the fire off the flyrants id say its doin its job.
    Aegis almost at mid table to confer cover to the exocrines so they can comfortably fire their s7 ap2 and any gribblies coming up the table.
    Zoans basically solid synapse and sme gd s5 ap3/s10 ap2 lance shooting.
    Horms try to go up as fast as they can and bog something in assault, hopefully any riptides/wraithknights
    The termagants are there as I had extra points and decided to put them in, cheap, not as gd as horms but yheyre a troop choice and if they get undermined and the opponent dsnt shoot at them, they cud always score an objective.

So what do u think? I tried to put as many hard hitting units with alot of kind of hard to kill units, but most importantly ALOT of units, as u can only target so many units per turn. The plan is to overwhelm him with targets, not ltting him focus alot of fire on just 1 unit.

Any opinions or weak spot or better suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dave Caruana; 06-04-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Overall, it looks fairly solid, but in my opinion there are some problems.

1. Neither genestealers nor broodlords are synapse creatures so they can't be your backfield synapse. Also, why would you pick a unit with no ranged weapons as your backfield unit? You might be better off grabbing some warriors with deathspitters and a heavy weapon. Other people hate on them fairly regularly, but when other high toughness targets are attracting the missiles I've had good luck with warriors.

2. Hormies hit like a ton of bricks when they have toxin sacs, but those small broods will never reach the enemy in large enough numbers to do any real damage. The 300 points you spent on hormagaunts and termagants might be better spent on two broods of 25 naked hormagaunts. If you find yourself having big problems with MCs, you could find a few points elsewhere and field two broods of 20 with toxin sacs at 320.

3. What is the aegis line doing? If you can buy it a gun and drop those warriors in it it might be more useful.

Thanks fr ur feedback!
    So as for backfield synapse. The broodlord now knows dominion giving him a 6" bubble of synapse, although most of the time theyd basically be going to ground when outside synapse for the +2 cover save. I chose genes and not warriors, because even though they dnt have guns, the blord gives u +1 warp charge, hes t5 and has amazing stats and theyre the only hnit which doesnt need to be babysitted, not to mention if attacked, theyre much better in combat, u know with rending and all. Then having a blord with them is like having a prime knly better. Dont forget all their special abilities free, infiltrate, fleet, rending..

I agree about the larger broods, its either 1 way or the other, I usually play them in big broods as ur saying, but I wanted to try them outin small hroods, because I have a feeling 7th ed is gna turn the meta from large units of say fire warriors to many small units in order to have mre flexibility when it cmes to objectives. However, tonight im playing vs deamons (with a cap on max 500pts of spawned new units as malefic powers totally break the game when it cmes to deamons) and ill see if my idea is gd or not The aegis is 4+ cover to my army going up the table, I dont wanna get a quad gun because it makes the firer fire snap shots at ground units.

You're still relying on getting dominion off to have backfield synapse. As a guy who has been playing 'Nids since 2nd, the idea of rolling to see if I have synapse coverage is horrifying. Even though they provide warp charges, they'll end up eating more than they produce in that role.

You could take two of these, and still have your rending, plus get a much larger synapse bubble that is 100% reliable:
    3 Warriors - 125
    2 Deathspitters, 1 Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler, Rending Claws

That's a unit that will do the role you're looking for more effectively, and will be more adaptable if you need it to do something else.

The aegis isn't 4+ to your "army going up the table," because you can't take it with you. Why not drop it, consolidate the Zoanthropes into two units, and replace with a venomthrope or two? That's mobile cover that goes where you need it.

Give the MSU a shot and let us know how it works.

I completely agree with going with the Warriors, they always seem to work well for me in the back field.

I don't love harpies in the new rules so I would suggest dropping it and maybe 1 genestealer and get 4 units of a single biovore. In 7th all you need to do to get a second FOC is to take 2 HQ and 4 troops, which you have done, then your heavies would be, biovore, biovore, biovore, biovore, exocrine, exocrine. That would be some serious fire support for your advancing horde. I would also do as other suggested and get some warriors for backfield, or even drop some of the zoans to make room for venomthropes as they will give your army a 2+ cover save if they are in venomthrope range and in range of the aegis.

I am not a big fan of Zoanthropes these days. They do not generate enough dice to actually cast their power. I would think about dropping all of them and replacing with a combination of venomthropes, tervigon + termagants to make him a troops choice.

A tervigon, 2 exocrines backed by a unit of venomthropes for cover creates a solid offensive line.....

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood View Post
    I am not a big fan of Zoanthropes these days. They do not generate enough dice to actually cast their power. I would think about dropping all of them and replacing with a combination of venomthropes, tervigon + termagants to make him a troops choice.

A tervigon, 2 exocrines backed by a unit of venomthropes for cover creates a solid offensive line.....
    Zoans are ML2, so his list has 10 warp dice, that's a lot for most armies! Should be enough to get a few powers off at key times.

As others have pointed out, I think the Broodlord shenanigans in the backfield are probably better used on warriors. Also consider you're setting up these synapse nodes with 6" range, that's pretty ineffectual, and genestealers and the BL are utterly wasted sitting around, round hole square peg syndrome there. I wouldn't put rending claws on the warriors if you do take them though, kit them out for shooting and keep it at that. I do occasionally run RC warriors but have noticed when I do that I'm more likely to let them get into CC and when that happens they'll find a power fist of klaw and that's just an insta-death disaster waiting to happen.

I dont like warriors because 1 s8 ap5 blast would kill them, theyre too squishy and any1 with ignores cober weaponry or massed shooting will annihilate them.

Biovores im not a fan of, s4 ap4 without ignores cover? Meh. Mind u I dont play with formations , we dont like em here. But id rather go for 2 esow and a tfex with egrubs and acid spray.

Anyways ever since ive put this up I changed my list radically, troops are too squishy and the thing about leaving x amount of pts just to sit at the back isnt my cup ofntea and I totally ignore tervs as I see them as a suicide unit for the 120pts of terms I had to spend and just them 2 are 350+pts to sit and do nothing.

The new list is this:
    2 flyrants with x2 TLdevs, egrubs
    3x2 Zoans2 u its of 3 ripper swarms
    3 crones
    2 exocrines
    1 tfex with egrubs and acid spray.
    1848pts

The whole army is fearless, synapse is no longer an issue what so ever as rippers are fearless too and the bad result on feed is negligible since theyre 3wounds each. They essentially stay at the back for that objective and are easy to hide since theyre such small models!
    Each jnit of zoans stays behind an mc from the 2exos or tfex whike the fmcs fly and fire ignore cover templates everywhere, vector strike where possible and fire missiles for those fliers whike the flyrants do their thing. Zoans buff up, hopefully getting catalyst or onslaught for the MCs and when they themselves come in range for warp lance they move out, fire in psychic phase and run behind the mcs again in the shooting phase. Everything has 3+ sve (tfex 2+) a high chance to get a catalyst or 2, sufficient ap2, AA is at its max for nids in this list, ample warp charges, 7 or 8 ignore cover templates, lots of haywire and manueverability. Played against tau with 3 riptides, 3 broadsides sniper drones with commander, 3 fire warriors in devilfish, 1 unit of kroot and aun va. Tabled him by turn 4 vector strikes on broadsides, TL devs on aunva gives him no save since ap- and the cover wasnt enough to save all the wounds, riptides die in droves to exocrine, fired both at a riptide per turn while they were busy tryin to kill my f, cs which are much more survivable no that u only get 1 grounded test max, kroot and fire wartiors died in droves with all the templates and the devilfish I popped with missiles, v strikes flyrants and egrubs. Piece of cake!!!