BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    It's very possible when your dice hate you. ML3 plus dice rolls of 1 and 2 while my opponent rolled 5 and 6 for their denial dice.
    That's not the way it works. The player whose turn it is rolls a D6, and BOTH players get the number rolled on that D6. So if you roll a 2, you get 5 dice (2 + 3) while your opponent will only get 2. He doesn't get to roll his own D6.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    That's not the way it works. The player whose turn it is rolls a D6, and BOTH players get the number rolled on that D6. So if you roll a 2, you get 5 dice (2 + 3) while your opponent will only get 2. He doesn't get to roll his own D6.
    This is an important fact. It means that you always have near-equivalent dice (barring differences in the number of MLs to a side). That significantly reduces the chaos of the situation, and means that you need to pay if you want to have a game-dominating number of dice.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I like the 7th edition Psychic Phase and i play Eldar...i donīt mind, that i canīt succeed in EVERY power i use, itīs "all in the game", cos so canīt the opponent. It makes game MORE interesting, you canīt just rely on one power going off, you have to plan carefully. We have played now two game with psykers, one with me being the more powerful one and vice versa. Both of those have been fun, even when i had REALLY crappy powers in the later game ...iīm liking the 7th edition so far actually a lot. Maelstrom missions can bite you/opponent in the a** in the final round, but at least it keeps the game interesting and not two static gun lines shooting each other. First time ever, i saw opponent going flat-out with Heldrake to score an objective, risking itīs future surviving! Thatīs awesome!

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

*delted - whoops, double posted when I didn't realise my posts had to be mod approved first still.
    Last edited by Krefey; 06-06-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Chapter-Master

This is an important fact. It means that you always have near-equivalent dice (barring differences in the number of MLs to a side). That significantly reduces the chaos of the situation, and means that you need to pay if you want to have a game-dominating number of dice.
    The issue is, some armies get such easy access to psykers that they don't really have to pay much. If you don't play GKs, Daemons, or to a lesser extent Eldar, CSM, or Nids, there's little point in taking a psyker because if you run into one of those armies, you're going to get shut down and unlike them, you can't reasonably generate enough dice to overcome that gap so your psykers become wasted points.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Still haven't had a game of 7th yet Hard when you currently live in a city of 20 odd million people and only a select few play the game.

I like the sound of the psychic phase, but would like to play the game before I can properly comment. I do think people are over-reacting about it though and I don't think it is as bad as people say it is. I'm not convinced people playing the daemon spam armies are playing it right.

Two minor changes for the rules I noticed though:

LOS is drawn from any part of the model as well as too any part of the model. Meaning you no longer need to draw LOS to your target from the model's "eyes". Helps against those rules lawyer types who were claiming wraith units couldn't shoot since they had no "eyes" :P

The other little change I noticed was that any unit with an attached IC can attempt to reqroup at normal Ld now, regardless of casualties.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The issue is, some armies get such easy access to psykers that they don't really have to pay much. If you don't play GKs, Daemons, or to a lesser extent Eldar, CSM, or Nids, there's little point in taking a psyker because if you run into one of those armies, you're going to get shut down and unlike them, you can't reasonably generate enough dice to overcome that gap so your psykers become wasted points.
    Oh, it's still a potential problem. Just not as big a problem as it could be if we rolled two separate dice.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Even a level one Librarian can be useful for Space Marines because of the Psychic Hood. A 12" bubble of 5+ denial isn't necessarily amazing, but it's better than nothing, and Librarians come pretty cheap these days. Worth it, I think.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I finally had my first game of 7th yesterday.

It was my Astra Militarum vs. his Necron army.

Firstly, I think the Psychic Phase is excellent. It really does give Psykers a harder time than before. He had no Psykers at all, and even though he denied nothing in the game, I was casting much fewer powers than I would normally cast in 6th.

Over the course of the game, he was hammering me. I had some terrible luck, and he had some great luck. Not to mention he had that angry robot Thor character (Imhotep?) creating night fighting and lightning. Really terrible conditions for a Guard army. However, I still managed to pull out a draw because of the Maelstrom missions. Rushing over to claim or contest an objective by running a unit instead of shooting, or going flat-out makes everything a lot more interesting. The tactical side seems much deeper than Eternal War missions.

I agree that there are faults with it (I got the 'Witch Hunter' objective...) but I feel it still works well. In the end the entire game came down to a combat between Bullgryns and a unit of Warriors + Imhotep. If the Bullgryns held the line, they would contest an objective that he needed to get, just to claim a draw. I lost the combat and fled, leaving him to secure the objective. Very close, and very tense.

I look forward to my next game!

Sounds like a fun game

LOL my friends HATE Imohtek. The nerf to night fighting though should help cull the rage towards him. I kept an entire AM army in check last game by limiting his shooting to 36".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast