BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

well keeping an eye on the starter box because the pan oceania appeal, and a rulebook is handy of course, so I would consider Yu Jing and then maybe Ariadna or Haqqislam perhaps
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    well keeping an eye on the starter box because the pan oceania appeal, and a rulebook is handy of course, so I would consider Yu Jing and then maybe Ariadna or Haqqislam perhaps
    so you want everything
    I agree.
    When you the box set is out and you have decided on your faction, please post up your questions for building your force

More than happy to help.

I first bought into the game in 2008 with Yu Jing on the appearance of the Hac Tao and Ninjas alone. After playing and learning rules I picked up Nomads as I love hacking and camo. I then picked up Haqqislam for the holoprojectors and impersonation and now I'm working on ALEPH because I have a thing for Greek mythological characters.

I've played against all factions with multiple builds and all of them work fine in either an Annihilation setting or ITS missions.

The game itself can have a steep learning curve but that's primarily due to a mediocre translation into English. Read the rules and then use the wiki and forums to resolve grey areas and you'll be fine.

I hate metal miniatures but I will say that Infinity miniatures work much better in metal than they likely would in plastic. They are very spindly but still retain a lot of detail and I'd be worried about losing some of that detail with plastic (like the plastic Malifaux miniatures).

Regardless, welcome to the sphere. Ask questions if you have them.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

well I have the downloaded rules, so I might buy a pair of faction starter forces first, then buy the starter set when that comes out so that I have a physical rule book and two more starter factions essentially.I think Yu Jing, Ariadna, and the two in the starter set would seem like a decent variety. basically the people I play with are happy to play the odd game of something different, but are unlikely to buy in to a new system themselves, so four different little warbands gives enough opportunity for everyone to try something they like hopefully, and I can add odds and ends as I fancy.

Sounds like my local group. That's why I have three factions. I managed to get one of the guys to buy into the game but the rest are reticent since there isn't a big pool of players in the area. I'm trying to reconcile that by running demos at local stores but it's difficult since none of the stores carry the product.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

yeah, I have gotten in to a few other games, but none of my friends have so it never really goes anywhere. I think an Ariadna and Yu Jing Starter set look good though, they seem suitably different and have cool models. what is a good number of dice to have on hand?

Chapter-Master

You'll never roll more than five dice per person at a time, and that's mostly reserved for link teams, and unlike 40k there's none of this "roll to hit, reroll to hit, roll to wound, reroll to wound, roll saves, reroll saves, roll FNP, etc..." You roll once to succeed your skill check (shoot, dodge, hack, etc), if you hit someone they roll for armor, and that's about it. Sometimes you have to roll a guts check.

The face-to-face system is equally elegant. If you have two guys shooting at each other (or one person shoots and the other tries to dodge, or the like), your rolls become opposed. The active player rolls their full shots, the reactive player rolls their ARO (automatic reaction order) shot. The player with the highest dice wins, but to hit in the first place you need to roll under your skill, so you want to roll high but not too high. So it's possible for a reactive model to outshoot an active one with lucky AROs, but the odds generally aren't in your favor. A lot of the tactics come from stacking the odds in your favor, or from forcing your opponent to expose themselves to multiple AROs at the same time.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yeah I am impressed, like the manga style, very appleseed some of the mech stuff. I just hate working with metal. but I suppose you don't need all that many models.
    The look of Infinity is definitly the reason why i started it. And yes - it seems they liked appelseed very much - just as i do

And yes i dislike metal too but hey, the minis are very nice and cool when you have assembeld them (gleuing your fingers twice and stop a second before you smash that dam´ mini to the wall, cause the parts wont fit ) but when its done ... phew ...

You should start with few points like a starter box only. Some sectorial starters are not mentioned to stand alone but roundabout 150/200 pts is a good starting point. You could ignore some rules in the beginning because Infinity has a lot of special rules and is it better to get to them step by step.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Chapter-Master

just ordered to lots of 5 D20s, some funky black and pink ones and some black and white marble ones, groovy.

Chapter-Master

ok, took the plunge and ordered one Ariadna and one Yu King starter set.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast