BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Halollet View Post
    I also like the "cultists" idea. 4-6 points a piece, lasguns, las pistols/CCW, options for flamers/storm bolters.
    I think they had these in 2nd/3rd edition, I seem to remember figures for them....

Yep 2nd had rules for them, Frateris Miltia Bands....
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 06-12-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

One problem I have always experienced with Sisters of Battle are that they are almost too good at making all comers lists. They do extremely well against average armies such as Space Marines by presenting better efficiency in general tactical rolls. This works well until they face an army which overwhelms them significantly in a single combat roll and they are unable to cope. While this is true of any army, Sisters have no trump card, no true death stars and no way of maneuvering around an extremely difficult situation like this because they are so efficient.

Imagine them as an extremely fuel efficient car. Given good conditions on a highway, it's functions excellently. But take that same car and put it on a muddy road full of pot holes or in a blizzard and it begins to fall apart. There are situations where efficiency is actually a liability and weakness due to lack of power. 40k unfortunately rewards playing to your opponent's weaknesses and hoping they do not have a hard counter to your powerful yet inefficient list.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Battle-Brother

One of the armies I have always liked since I got into 40k in 2008 was the Sisters. Them, Necrons, and Imperial Guard were and still are my favorite armies ascetically. I have always wanted to start Sisters, but the cost of just a single squad is preposterous, if not abhorring, especially to a high school student who is only now going to college and has no independent source of income. Plus the models are metal...and I have had horrible experiences with metal models, especially when I was playing Fantasy Dwarves the year earlier (so many metal dwarf Hammerers rolling down hills!), which puts me off even more. If GW released them in plastic, even if they were done just like Grey Knights where a box of 5 made any of the basic units and costs $50 USD. Then give them access to the Redeemer Land Raider, maybe the Stormraven, or the Valkyrie, or even give them a flier of their own (Hell, one that looks a lot like the DA Flier would fit well into the Sisters ascetics). And a more available army book would be nice. Even if it was a reprint of the current crappy rules I'd buy it! I don't own an iPad, or any device that I can get the digital editions on for that matter (which I suspect is half the reason they didn't get much of a bite, even considering the WD rules as well.), and when those rules were released in WD it was always a decision whether to but the WD for a new squad with my handful of money. What is really crushing the Sisters is not that they are unpopular or have bad rules, but more because of the cost of the individual models, units, and the army as a whole. That's my two cents anyways, considering that is the reason I will never be starting Sisters until they are redone...if they are ever redone.

On the subject of plastic Sisters though, I did see some good conversions from Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors and random bits. But my conversion skills are horrendous, and while good, they just don't have the same feel as the real Sister models.

Librarian

Nice to see other people so enthusiastic about our Sisters!
    I started playing/collecting them when they first came out in 2nd edition.
    They are even featured in the Dawn of War Soulstorm game! I would love to see a more robust HQ section and please include Ephrael Stern! More options and wargear to also help different Sisters armies look and play differently.
    I don't mind the 1 type of Troops, but would like to see HQ's 'unlocking' others as troops (Like Ephrael Stern makes Seraphim Troops, etc).
    Great idea on the Exorcist Skyfire option.

I've still got an old SoB codex, which when you read it and some of the old SM statlines makes you realise how much the Canon has been re-written to suit their 'anti-girl' stance. Take Marines, Scouts used to be WS/BS 4 but S & T were both 3, because (wait for it) they weren't wearing power armour, while Sisters used to be T4 and were S3 only because they had no 'Black Carapace' to enhance their interface with power armour. Since then Marines somehow got changed to 7' (some say 10') Gorillas in suits while the Sisters got to be IG with armour on.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    One problem I have always experienced with Sisters of Battle are that they are almost too good at making all comers lists. They do extremely well against average armies such as Space Marines by presenting better efficiency in general tactical rolls. This works well until they face an army which overwhelms them significantly in a single combat roll and they are unable to cope. While this is true of any army, Sisters have no trump card, no true death stars and no way of maneuvering around an extremely difficult situation like this because they are so efficient.

Imagine them as an extremely fuel efficient car. Given good conditions on a highway, it's functions excellently. But take that same car and put it on a muddy road full of pot holes or in a blizzard and it begins to fall apart. There are situations where efficiency is actually a liability and weakness due to lack of power. 40k unfortunately rewards playing to your opponent's weaknesses and hoping they do not have a hard counter to your powerful yet inefficient list.
    Thanks to Matt Damn Ward. I agree with this statement. People always dismiss sisters, until they lose due to melta and flamers spam. Only thing I like about them now is that we can spam more melta and flamers now, not to mention take more Immolaters.

Who can complain about having an army of veteran guardsmen with a 3+ save, although now you're paying 3 points for a better save than just 1 point. Any way they are very similar to old Tau in my opinion. Tau before the gear buffs, ethereal buffs, and riptides. However what is interesting is you can lump grey knights with them and do things like throw priest in a few knight squads. I think greyknigts or guard allies still seem a valid way to level the playing field, especially since you can now take marine and greyknigts as battle brothers now.

Sisters are supposed to religious fanatics right? I'd like to see more of that approach, especially with more of a influence from modern day fanatics. I reckon it would be awesome to see some sister driving their rhino packed with demo charges into enemy lines chanting "God-Emperor is great!!". Or maybe instead of burning heretics, they should be slitting their throats and broadcast the footage across the Imperium via astropath. Or maybe they could do some roadside bombs like from cities of death, or infiltrating suicide teams that work similar to Space Wolf Lone Wolves.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTycho View Post
    Sisters are supposed to religious fanatics right? I'd like to see more of that approach, especially with more of a influence from modern day fanatics. I reckon it would be awesome to see some sister driving their rhino packed with demo charges into enemy lines chanting "God-Emperor is great!!". Or maybe instead of burning heretics, they should be slitting their throats and broadcast the footage across the Imperium via astropath. Or maybe they could do some roadside bombs like from cities of death, or infiltrating suicide teams that work similar to Space Wolf Lone Wolves.
    Not this. The Sisters' novels "Faith and Fire" and "Hammer and Anvil" have the best portrayal of the Sister's mentality that I have encountered, and "religious fanatic" doesn't cover it. They are warriors of faith. A lot of the "religious fanatics" you have described are brainwashed to the point of being willing to sacrifice themselves without any thought. Based on my readings of the novels, the various codices [including the Tempestus Militarum], Those Schola Progeny that show a remarkable faith are picked out to become Sisters/Ecclesiarchy. They may be willing to die for the Emperor, but they are not willing to throw away their lives wastefully.

As far as what I would like to see in a Sister's revamp, The Avenger Fighter as a flyer would not be amiss. An additional Troop type would be welcomed, as would a revamp of the Penitent Engine. Rules wise, I think they should get bonuses to Deny the Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitarii View Post
    Not this. The Sisters' novels "Faith and Fire" and "Hammer and Anvil" have the best portrayal of the Sister's mentality that I have encountered, and "religious fanatic" doesn't cover it.
    Agreed. One of the interesting parts of the Sisters, to me, is the juxtaposition of them alongside the more fanatical Ecclesiarchy.

Chaplain

If I could draw a parallel with them, they are less fanatical and more like Paladins. They are pragmatic but persistent in their faith. They won't foolishly throw their lives away for the Emperor but they also won't hesitate to do so if the need arrises.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast