BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Apoc Formations in Regular games: Thoughts?

Hello everybody!
    I was discussing this with a good friend of mine today: can/should we use Apocalypse formations in regular games? His position is, "Yes. That is what VIIth Edition is all about. Use everything." My position is, "No. Apocalypse formations are in the Apocalypse book and thus are to be used in Apocalypse games. Don't take this new edition as carte blanche to just start throwing in stuff from Apocalypse."

Where do y'all stand on this? What is it like in your local meta? I look forward to hearing from the community. Cheers.
    "Let blood and fire obliterate the world! I will never desist till I have dragged to my palace by her hair the barbarian queen, the daughter of dogs!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Tisroc View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I was discussing this with a good friend of mine today: can/should we use Apocalypse formations in regular games? His position is, "Yes. That is what VIIth Edition is all about. Use everything." My position is, "No. Apocalypse formations are in the Apocalypse book and thus are to be used in Apocalypse games. Don't take this new edition as carte blanche to just start throwing in stuff from Apocalypse."

Where do y'all stand on this? What is it like in your local meta? I look forward to hearing from the community. Cheers.
    Go to the 7th Edition Rule Book under Choosing your Army. There is a section on Formations. Currently 90% of all Formations are found in the Apocalypse book.

I'm going to go with yes. Especially as the manager of the local GW store is using one himself and says it's fine.

Librarian

My problem with formations is fitting some of my favorite into games around 1,500 to 2,000 points. A full Green Tide formation comes to around 2,000 points by itself, and that is just one unit... To make it viable would be to remove boyz from it, or lower the Nobz out of it, making it less of a threat. However, a single unit with 100 Orks with a Warboss would cause lots of trouble and make anyone with templates happy as can be.

Yeah, it is an obvious limitation on Formations that if you can't afford them at the point level, you can't put them in.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Go to the 7th Edition Rule Book under Choosing your Army. There is a section on Formations. Currently 90% of all Formations are found in the Apocalypse book.
    apocalypse formations are clearly different to dataslate formations. They have their own additional special rules.

Or are you going to argue that high command rules, psychic choirs and broadsword/rapier tank positioning rules are available to units and armies in regular 40k?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    apocalypse formations are clearly different to dataslate formations. They have their own additional special rules.

Or are you going to argue that high command rules, psychic choirs and broadsword/rapier tank positioning rules are available to units and armies in regular 40k?
    Currently I'm going to argue exactly that. Until they specify otherwise, Formations are Formations. Hell, the Lord of Skulls is technically a Formation too, although now superceded by just coming into the game as a Lord of War.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 06-09-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Chapter-Master

Currently I'm going to argue exactly that. Until they specify otherwise, Formations are Formations. Hell, the Lord of Skulls is technically a Formation too, although now superceded by just coming into the game as a Lord of War.
    so I can take a imperator titan at 1500 pts? its a formation right?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    so I can take a imperator titan at 1500 pts? its a formation right?
    Look, I'm not saying there isn't some humor (and more imbalance here) I'm just saying that they have not excluded any Formations of any kind as of yet. I expect that they will likely go through the Apocalypse Formations and turn the ones they think best into Data Slates and Faq/Errata that it is only the ones you buy. Or they might just leave it as is with everyone fielding a metric ton of everything. Your Titan's D-Weapons and apocalyptic weapons would, in fact, function per regular 40K rules.

Does it all make sense? No. I'm just pointing out that currently a Formation is a Formation is a Formation. They show up in a variety of books and sources and nothing currently says which are acceptable and which are not.

Chapter-Master

Look, I'm not saying there isn't some humor (and more imbalance here) I'm just saying that they have not excluded any Formations of any kind as of yet. I expect that they will likely go through the Apocalypse Formations and turn the ones they think best into Data Slates and Faq/Errata that it is only the ones you buy. Or they might just leave it as is with everyone fielding a metric ton of everything. Your Titan's D-Weapons and apocalyptic weapons would, in fact, function per regular 40K rules.

Does it all make sense? No. I'm just pointing out that currently a Formation is a Formation is a Formation. They show up in a variety of books and sources and nothing currently says which are acceptable and which are not.
    thats fine, I'm jsut saying that there is still a distinction between an apocalypse game and a regular 40k game, simply because Apocalypse games have their own rules, rules such as formations, strategic cards, scoring, etc Hell I'd even argue that a Apocalypse game should use the apoc D-weapon rules.

But the apoc formations are bust in 40k, very bust. Use them in your narrative games if you want, but dont fool yourself into thinking that the rules allow it the way they allow unbound

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast