BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Tyranids = Disappointment (???)

Hi everybody

I'm disappointed by the new tyranid codex. Not because it's bad or worst then the previous, but because I had high hope for it.

I must say I'm quite new to the hobby so that might explain why I'm dissapointed:

Maybe a year ago, I saw the Ork codex and could see how good it was...
    Then came the IG codex and I really thought the sky was falling...
    Even more when I saw the Space Wolf codex...

So I thought the Tyranid codex would raise the bar again... Now having the codex in hand, I feel cheated. I was hoping for so much more. Again the new codex isn't bad, it's just average.

What's your thought on this? Do anyone feel the same?

P.S.: English is my second language, so be kind with me

Chapter-Master

All the 5th edition codecies are just 'average', and that is a good thing.

Codex Creep, while alive and very much kicking in Fantasy, has died in 40k 5th edition.

Welcome to the most exciting, fun and balanced edition of 40k yet!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

I am a little disappointed in the new nid codex. I really thought it was going to be a return to the great horde, But, it's just a new version of Nidzilla. Kinda of like Godzilla 2000.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    All the 5th edition codecies are just 'average', and that is a good thing.

Codex Creep, while alive and very much kicking in Fantasy, has died in 40k 5th edition.

Buffo nailed it. The new crop of books are very well balanced internally and externally, making 40k that much better for it.

And CRP, I dunno which book you're reading, but horde bugs is very much viable.

Chum, all I can say is just wait. Everyone will be playing Nidzilla....again....still. The IG codex provides some viable gunline list but, how many do you see at tournaments?
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Buffo nailed it. The new crop of books are very well balanced internally and externally, making 40k that much better for it.

And CRP, I dunno which book you're reading, but horde bugs is very much viable.
    This and
    Buffo: All the 5th edition codecies are just 'average', and that is a good thing.

nothing new i can add.

Actually i think there are some internal balance issues in the new dex, more than in other 5th ed dexes, but that is not soooo bad. What really disappointed me was that the armies mechanic itself was totally changed.

Back in the old days Tyranids were all about mutations and their colective meta mind thing^^.
    With the change from 3rd to 4th ed nids lost thier mutations, but were stull mutable and dynamic due to biomorphs altering the stats and weapons beiing related to the critters strenght. (Actually that was why i started with nids: you could create new bugs, cause every conversion you made altered the critters stats; it was the most dynamic army and the only one with such an ability).

But now the new dex get rid of this mutability completely. You can still make conversions (for example for the new units that don't have models yet), but all of em have the same static stats, no more mutations and biomorphs aren't real biomorphs, but plain normal eq/wargear. Nids are now as static as other armies with highly specialized units that are good at their role but at nothing else, and all with the same stats and many of the units don't even have the chioce to be equipped at all.

The second thing is the hive mind. In the past you needed the mind for the army to work, tactics were needed to defend the small amount of synapse you had.
    But now you have synapse everywhere and the rules themself render the whole thing useless. There are even units now (and quite a few) that work better when outside of synapse.
    But instead we got better psychics...

While nids have been dynamic, hivemind driven critters, they now are specialized static psychic bugs that play more like eldar now.

As you can see, i am one of those veterans that complain about the new dex being a different army now, but for everyone new to nids, it seems to be not that bad at all and you will have fun with them.
    They are just not the kind of army, that i want to play, anymore
    (this statements are not based on rumors, but on lots of tests with the dex; i have a copy since midst of december).

If you like the new way the army works, than just make a couple of test games and you will see, that they look much worse on paper than they really are; just give them a chance before you make up your mind

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredpraetorian View Post
    Chum, all I can say is just wait. Everyone will be playing Nidzilla....again....still. The IG codex provides some viable gunline list but, how many do you see at tournaments?
    People will jump all over bugzilla like before, but this time 'round you aren't totally gimped by fielding a horde of medium to small bugs. A huge improvement.

I think the big change folks may not get about the codex is that Tyranids are all about suicide units. Everything in the book has at least one- and usually several- gaping holes in its defenses. And, unlike Eldar, you aren't supposed to cover those holes. You are supposed to shove them in your opponent's face and make them pay in blood for every unit they bring down.

Zoanthropes drop in and kill a Land Raider- oh, you missile them to death afterwards? Eh, they did their job. Hormagaunts swarm over a group of Terminators and nick them to death. Flamered on your turn? No problem, there's more where that came from.

Tyranids have always been portrayed as willing to ruthlessly sacrifice themselves for even the most minor gains in the fluff- it's nice to see this also represented in the tabletop as well. Is it very different from previous versions of Tyranids? Certainly. I loved being able to "BuildaBug," but it was problematic because no one ever knew what the stats on anything were. Is that Carnifex T6 or T7? What's the save on your Hive Tyrant? Do your Hormagaunts have WS4 or not? Is that guy taking the -1WS from being attacked by the Zoanthrope? There were too many ways to change your bugs in small (and sometimes not so small), annoying ways. The new codex is much easier to reference and keep track of. Most units have far more options- that is to say usable options- available to them now. (Seriously, did anyone buy Toxin Sacs for Termagants? Anyone?)

Are we being serious here? You're not happy because your army isn't the best most uber power creep army of the week? People wonder why there's been a serious degrading of fantasy and it's statements like this. It ruined that system.

Don't let that creep into 40k as well. It's an absolutely asinine and ridiculous statement.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast