Ahoy-hoy.

So, this week I was going to do a fairly extensive gun-servitor scratchbuild. Then my desk lamp blew, followed by my starting up at a gym, with the first session leaving my arms wracked with agony from overexertion.

As a result, this week I present a much more modest effort to save both my arms from too much effort and my eyes from too much squinting; it's mostly a kitbash this time, although you could scratchbuild this with incredible ease if you were so inclined.

Those of you who read my lasgun conversion tutorial may have gathered that I like to convert models to vaguely resemble weapons from other games and films I like. This kitbash is no different. As we all know, the best laser weapon in anything ever is the JDF Araska HLR-12X Heavy Laser Rifle from Akira. For those of you who haven't yet watched this seminal film STOP READING THIS AND GO WATCH IT NOW. In case you choose not to follow my sound advice and carry on with your woefully diminished life, this is what it looks like:

Obviously I'm going to do a more 40K version, but you get the basic idea.

The Things You Will Need:
  • A small piece of thick plasticard.
  • A thin styrene strip.
  • A thin styrene cylindrical rod.
  • A lascannon barrel.
  • An Imperial Guard missile launcher.

Note that if you don't have the last two, you can scratchbuild them using thick styrene rod and the techniques we looked at in previous tutorials. I'm using them to save time.

So, off we go!

How to Kitbash a Man-Portable Lascannon

Take your lascannon barrel and Imperial Guard missile launcher…

… clip the end off the lascannon and the front off the launcher.

You'll need to do a little trimming and smoothing down to get them to fit. Once they're aligned, glue them to each other as shown here:

All that's left to do is the ammunition pack. I like mine to look like the power packs from DUST Tactics, so this is the method I use.

Take your piece of thick plasticard and cut it down to a size appropriate for the weapon's power pack. As always, USE BOTH HANDS:

If your first cut leaves you with too big a piece, just cut it down to size.

Note that if you're doing multiple Heavy Weapon Teams, you should make all the ammo packs now to keep them a uniform size.

As always, more when I get a reply. There's only one more part this week as well.

Sweet mercy but my arms are aching.