BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

I agree with you Pil why people are so overreacting over a 170 point blast weapon (didn't realise it was BS 0, does that mean it misses then with BS ? I don't understand what you mean by this.) that only goes off every other round. Problem is it has to land on an enemy model. Do you know how hard it is to NOT scatter?

I believe it would be easier to scatter onto an enemy model than it is to HIT an enemy model on DS. Unless your opponent puts all his models together and the person decides to DS the Mawloc right in the middle of said models, I don't see what the big deal is.

Again unless it's Errated and not FAQ'ed this debate will go on for ever till one person gives up.

I guess another problem is we all live in different countries so our English language is all different to each other. There are small differences in how the UK, Canada, Australia, US, etc etc speak english that it makes huges debates. Maybe we are all right because of this, we were taught how to read english in our own countries way. Just keep this in mind before starting to call other people names.
    Last edited by HsojVvad; 01-24-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Battle-Brother

so i used it last night, and here's what happened.

my guard opponent was fully aware of what was going to happen (and we had already talked about the rule and he had no problem me deepstriking on him).

of course, he was hugging the table edge, so i was terrified to lose my new model. there was a heavy bolter team a bit forward, so i went for them, scattering 11 inches backward. luckily i didn't fry my own guys. then my giant stupid bug proceeded to get bogged down by fuzzy hatted guardsmen for the rest of game.

why not hit and run you ask? because i didn't realize i had hit and run. too many new rules to keep track of.

long story short, i went through alot of trouble trying to prove i could do something, that i will probably never ever do again. i feel so empty.

Quote Originally Posted by j78 View Post
    so i used it last night, and here's what happened.

my guard opponent was fully aware of what was going to happen (and we had already talked about the rule and he had no problem me deepstriking on him).

of course, he was hugging the table edge, so i was terrified to lose my new model. there was a heavy bolter team a bit forward, so i went for them, scattering 11 inches backward. luckily i didn't fry my own guys. then my giant stupid bug proceeded to get bogged down by fuzzy hatted guardsmen for the rest of game.

why not hit and run you ask? because i didn't realize i had hit and run. too many new rules to keep track of.

long story short, i went through alot of trouble trying to prove i could do something, that i will probably never ever do again. i feel so empty.
    Hehe,that is funny, I always forget about the rules as well. Just got a question. How could you fry your own guys? I don't get that part.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pil View Post
    Yea it says to place a large blast template where he is emerging from. Not place the Mawloc. Honestly people that are fighting this are just grasping at straws for no good reason that I can think of. I find it hard to believe people are this scared of a large blast template shot that has 0 BS. Not only that, but it can only be used every other round. The wording is clear it can DS onto a unit. I have yet to meet anyone IRL that argues this, only see these comments on the interwebs. The other funny thing is no one is going to be fielding a 170 point blast weapon with 0 BS that only goes off every other round. If you deploy your Mawlocs and the game ends at the end of round 5 you get 2 shots wow 2 shots for 170 points each. To top them off they are craptacular in CC. Trygons will own the battlefield they are a great unit with great rules, and model. GW did good with the Trygon.
    100% agreed.

The two nid players in my area have recently realized at how crappy the Mawloc is, and are now fielding Trygons instead.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    100% agreed.

The two nid players in my area have recently realized at how crappy the Mawloc is, and are now fielding Trygons instead.
    I've found the opposite to be true. With a lack of AP in the army, it can be really handy. Yeah, it scatters, but I've wrecked enough 2+ and 3+ armor to make my Mawloc worth it on the three occasions I've played it. You also have to remember the psychological effect it has on the other player. They will watch their positioning very carefully when they know it is a threat. This is very handy when there is limited board space.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fizyx View Post
    I've found the opposite to be true. With a lack of AP in the army, it can be really handy. Yeah, it scatters, but I've wrecked enough 2+ and 3+ armor to make my Mawloc worth it on the three occasions I've played it. You also have to remember the psychological effect it has on the other player. They will watch their positioning very carefully when they know it is a threat. This is very handy when there is limited board space.
    You got lucky to 'wreck' so many terminators and marines with a no AP hit lol.

In combat, the Mawloc is sub par when compared to the Trygon, and they have the same armor, so AP isn't an issue here, especially since they both burrow near enemy lines.

I will agree with you on the psychological aspect. Players fighting the new nids for the first time will fear it, until they realize they will just end up shooting it/assaulting it to death next turn.

I think the mawloc will be great against MEQ armies. I am a bit worried about it against my wolves. My army is pretty small, 3-4 squads so losing one to this attack will have a large effect on the game. If I see one, i will have to respond by deploying my forces to minimize its effectiveness. Considering that I generally charge into the center of the enemy, it will cramp my style.

Even with scatter it hits 1/3 of the time and it can pop up into close combat, which is a nasty as units get bunched up after the first round. So a mawloc can wipe out a pretty big unit with some luck. And the willingness to kill a bunch of bugs.

You got lucky to 'wreck' so many terminators and marines with a no AP hit lol..
    Given it causes S6 AP2 hits that you can't take terrain based cover saves against it doesn't take that much luck. Maybe against storm shields and the like but straight marines die right out on a 2+.

But since you've "read the book" you knew that already right?

Anyways like I've said before, just errata it so you pick a position, scatter it, if its off the board mishap otherwise do the blast rules in the book then deep strike the Mawloc on that point without scatter. Bam, the rule works "as intended" and no messy rule complications.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    Given it causes S6 AP2 hits that you can't take terrain based cover saves against it doesn't take that much luck. Maybe against storm shields and the like but straight marines die right out on a 2+.
    Well, that changes things lol. I guess since my opponent has been trying to burrow under my IG Tanks, the AP2 never came up.

I can totally see how MEQ players fear this guy. Being an IG/DE player myself, its meh at best.

But since you've "read the book" you knew that already right?
    Yeah, I have the book, but I barely read it. I read the fluff on the toilet, and that's about it lol!

Anyways like I've said before, just errata it so you pick a position, scatter it, if its off the board mishap otherwise do the blast rules in the book then deep strike the Mawloc on that point without scatter. Bam, the rule works "as intended" and no messy rule complications.
    I have no idea what you are talking about 'errata' it. The way you have it is so wrong its unbelievable. The way you worded this I really can't understand what you are saying, sorry.

1) Pick a point on the table for Deep Strike.
    2) Scatter as normal for Deep Strike.
    3) If off the table or under impassible terrain it is Mishap Chart time
    4) If under a unit, the blast happens. Units take the hits. Units move out of the way, and the Mawloc appears.

Easy.

In real life, with real people, using real rules, those are the basic four steps to the Mawloc. Done and done.

I have no idea what you are talking about 'errata' it. The way you have it is so wrong its unbelievable. The way you worded this I really can't understand what you are saying, sorry.

1) Pick a point on the table for Deep Strike.
    2) Scatter as normal for Deep Strike.
    3) If off the table or under impassible terrain it is Mishap Chart time
    4) If under a unit, the blast happens. Units take the hits. Units move out of the way, and the Mawloc appears.

Easy.

In real life, with real people, using real rules, those are the basic four steps to the Mawloc. Done and done.
    I'm talking about altering it so you can designate a location to start the scatter in the middle of enemy troops or impassable terrain. Ignoring your already questionable reading skills there's been quite a bit of debate in the thread, it might do you some good to read it.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast