BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Mawloc and Deep Strike

Can I aim with deep strike onto enemy units or not? Rules says "place one model anywhere on the table" but should deep strike ignore rules about models and 1" away from enemy when we place 1st model?

For example. I'm deep striking SM Terminators. I place first model on top of enemy model. Roll for scatter and get "HIT". My model stay where it was and I can't place one or more models because it on top or 1" within of enemy models. So deep strike mishap occurs.

Second example. I'm deep striking Mawloc. I place model on top of enemy model. Roll for scatter and get "HIT". My model stay where it was and I can't place one or more models because it on top or 1" within of enemy models. So deep strike mishap should occurs. But instead of this I workout the Mawloc special rule.

Are this examples right?

And if yes. What happens to drop pod if I deep strike it on enemy models and roll "HIT" on scatter? Drop pod rules says "reduce scatter distance", but obviosly there is no scatter distance to reduce because of "HIT" rolled. Is this way to get mishap with drop pod?

PS Maybe it looks like I was mad on my toy soldiers and his rules... But anyway =)

Chapter-Master

Do you have the actual codex yet, 'cause it sounds like we need it to answer the question. It might just be clearly spelled out in the actual 'dex.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoozzZ View Post
    For example. I'm deep striking SM Terminators. I place first model on top of enemy model. Roll for scatter and get "HIT". My model stay where it was and I can't place one or more models because it on top or 1" within of enemy models. So deep strike mishap occurs.
    You are correct.

Second example. I'm deep striking Mawloc. I place model on top of enemy model. Roll for scatter and get "HIT". My model stay where it was and I can't place one or more models because it on top or 1" within of enemy models. So deep strike mishap should occurs. But instead of this I workout the Mawloc special rule.
    The Tyranid Codex answers this under the Mawloc entry.

What happens to drop pod if I deep strike it on enemy models and roll "HIT" on scatter? Drop pod rules says "reduce scatter distance", but obviosly there is no scatter distance to reduce because of "HIT" rolled. Is this way to get mishap with drop pod?
    The drop pod will mishap then.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

As I understand it, yes, you are correct. The important distinction is that you designate a Deep Strike point before you place the models. You are free to designate an "illegal" (in terms of model placement) point, you're simply very likely to end up mishapping.

Drop Pods/Mycetic Spores are different- you reduce the scatter distance by enough to avoid the terrain/models. If you designate your target point to be on top of another model or impassable terrain (which is still legal), it is impossible to reduce your scatter in such a way that you end up in a legal position- you can increase it, but the pod/spore rules do not allow you to increase the scatter distance.

Do you have the actual codex yet
    Yes, I have it two days ago by advance order. Mawloc special rule starts with: "If Mawloc Deep Strikes onto a point occupied by another model, do not roll on the Deep Strike Mishap table but instead do following." So after yours comments I think I was right. Thanks for all.

Some one needs to look up the deep striking rules in the BRB (I don't have access to mine right now)

I'm almost positive it states that you must place them legally, i.e. You cannot place a deep striking model on top of enemy models. And I think it says the same thing for drop pods.

Because you must place the first model, not declare where you want to roll your scatter from but you MUST actually PLACE the model on the table and since you can't place a model on top of enemy models it’s not legal.

But I don't use a lot of deep strikers so I could be wrong

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarshalAdamar View Post
    Some one needs to look up the deep striking rules in the BRB
    You know what, I totally agree!

(I don't have access to mine right now)
    Oh that's okay! When debating rules, its alright not to have a rule book handy, because even though I am sure you are correct here, some people may just end up making rules up and misleading other posters with lies.

I'm almost positive it states that you must place them legally, i.e. You cannot place a deep striking model on top of enemy models. And I think it says the same thing for drop pods.

Because you must place the first model, not declare where you want to roll your scatter from but you MUST actually PLACE the model on the table and since you can't place a model on top of enemy models it’s not legal.
    Hmmmm.... Wait a second...

But I don't use a lot of deep strikers so I could be wrong
    Actually, you ARE!

Next time, have a rule book handy before saying anything

Veteran-Sergeant

When any unit deep strikes it must not go near any enemy unit lest it gets delayed, misplaced or destroyed.
    When a Mawloc deep strikes, it shoots up from underneath the enemy. You put the large blast template wherever he deep strikes, and any enemy underneath it takes an S6 AP2 hit. This means that he can deep strike onto enemy units. The enemy must then move away from the template.
    I wish the Trygon could do this, he is so much better at fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Next time, have a rule book handy before saying anything
    The irony here is that you didn't read the rulebook either. The start of the second paragraph of the deep strike rules on page 95 of the mini book (and I believe BRB as well) says you place the model in the desired destination. This however leads to yet another gaping hole in the rules : Is a model being placed subject to the restrictions of normal movement. If you are subject to those restrictions then he was actually correct, you cannot have a situation where a deep striking model on a hit roll of the scatter die will mishap.

Now if models being placed on the board is NOT subject to normal movement restrictions then Marbo and Lictors are going to start popping out of walls and stuff and its going to get crazy.

For extra hilarity consider that the Mawloc will always hit itself with its S6 AP2 blast.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    The irony here is that you didn't read the rulebook either. The start of the second paragraph of the deep strike rules on page 95 of the mini book (and I believe BRB as well) says you place the model in the desired destination.
    No irony here... I can read and understand what is written just fine. You, on the other hand....

Where is the restriction about where to place the scatter marker (the model) that the OP is asking about in his very first question? There is none.

This however leads to yet another gaping hole in the rules : Is a model being placed subject to the restrictions of normal movement
    If the scatter marker (the model) was subject to Movement Phase Restrictions, guess what... The Deep Strike rules would say so. Simple, lol!

If you are subject to those restrictions then he was actually correct, you cannot have a situation where a deep striking model on a hit roll of the scatter die will mishap.
    You can 'if' all you want, but this is a rule forum, and we try to stick with whats written in the rule books. The Deep Strike rules provide no restriction for the deep strike marker (the model) when placing it on the table.

The problem here is that you are some how treating the marker (the model) as 1) an actual model that is bound by rules given in the rest of the book (which is isn't) and 2) actually on the table (which the unit has not reached the table yet).

You can place the model anywhere that the Deep Strike rules allows, which is anywhere on the playing field (the table). Where you place it initially is NOT important as the unit is not on the table yet. Thats what the Scatter Roll determines.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast