BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

well i cite it as an example of why the rules in the movement section, including the restriction from p14, are to be read independent of the deepstrike rules.

if you follow my reasoning, and read them seperately there is no conflict.

if you follow your logic, there is a conflict between p11 and p95 that must be house ruled, because otherwise the game is broken.

i would think that because there is a problem that as you said, breaks the game, by reading it the way you do, it lends support to the way i would read it. deepstrike as an independent rule.

and i'm not ignoring anyresponses, but i'm offline for a while. look forward to reading later.

And, again, I don't think you can just pick and choose which rules to use, even if using all the relevant rules causes the game to break down. The way I'm reading it is correct. The fact that it breaks the game is unfortunate, but it doesn't change the facts.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    And, again, I don't think you can just pick and choose which rules to use, even if using all the relevant rules causes the game to break down. The way I'm reading it is correct. The fact that it breaks the game is unfortunate, but it doesn't change the facts.

See, the thing is you are picking and choosing rules. What you are doing is saying that the way you interpret the rules is more correct than the way anyone else does. Man, this is getting to the point of a religous argument. I have faith that my interpretation is the correct one and all.

Man, I leave for two hours and you guys spend 4 pages just to get back to the same place.

I haven't ignored any rules. Thus your assertion is incorrect.

Care to try again?

Veteran-Sergeant

I haven't ignored any rules. Thus your assertion is incorrect.

Care to try again?
    You are picking and choosing which rule is the general rule and which one is specific, which is exactly what you were accusing us of.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm just glad we are all well behaved, which is why we are the only forum with an unlocked thread on this topic, probably.

This is exactly the sort of thinking that is interesting as an intellectual exercise, but not useful in playing the game.

I'm not going to make my opponent's target their Mawlocs "legally," because it takes about the brainpower of a gnat to know how the stupid thing is supposed to work (after reading the Codex entry).

To be clear, I think that RAW is 100% on the side of the "Mawlocs only work if they scatter the right direction" camp, but that anyone actually following the RAW is playing 100% against the obvious intent, and should be clear on that. I'm not normally a RAI over RAW kind of guy, but this one is seriously a no-brainer.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Battle-Brother

the difference is, i'm not ignoring any rules. the way i play it, and understand it, is that the rules for deepstrike are a subset of the main rules. they grant an exception to the "place on impassible terrain" and they have a consequence if that occurs after the scatter. i see the rule on p14, and realize it doesn't apply because the deepstrike rule has an exception built in.

again, i think my reading of it is supported completely by the fact that if you read it the other way, the game breaks down completely.

i guess the question to you would be, why isn't deep strike is an exception. the book is filled with exceptions. why is deepstrike different?

Quote Originally Posted by j78 View Post
    the difference is, i'm not ignoring any rules. the way i play it, and understand it, is that the rules for deepstrike are a subset of the main rules. they grant an exception to the "place on impassible terrain" and they have a consequence if that occurs after the scatter. i see the rule on p14, and realize it doesn't apply because the deepstrike rule has an exception built in.

again, i think my reading of it is supported completely by the fact that if you read it the other way, the game breaks down completely.

i guess the question to you would be, why isn't deep strike is an exception. the book is filled with exceptions. why is deepstrike different?
    I have a hypothetical situation for you that illustrates the other viewpoint : If there was a rule that said "move the model anywhere on the table" would you argue that that a model with such a rule could move into the middle of impassable terrain?

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    I have a hypothetical situation for you that illustrates the other viewpoint : If there was a rule that said "move the model anywhere on the table" would you argue that that a model with such a rule could move into the middle of impassable terrain?
    i think it would depend on where this rule was located.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast