BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Iron Father

If I don't have control of the doofer (remote) then I usually grab my iPad and read a book, play hearthstone or pop in here.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Name of the Wind and its sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, are also very good books. Try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, too. Like it, and you'll probably like all of his books, and he's got quite a few considering how he's only been published for the last, say, 7 years.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Name of the Wind and its sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, are also very good books. Try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, too. Like it, and you'll probably like all of his books, and he's got quite a few considering how he's only been published for the last, say, 7 years.
    Mistborn is FREAKING BRILLIANT. I'm also reading his doorstop series - The Way of Kings. I haven't had the courage to crack the second, though as the school year just ended I might work up the will to do it soon. He was cornering himself backwards into an epic racial fail in the first one, and I'm curious to see if he can write his way out of it in the second. By all accounts, Sanderson is a decent and well-intentioned human being, but he does come from a backwards conservative culture with a history of racism, so... we'll see. He's written decently enough that I wouldn't condemn him categorically and completely if he did fail, but I think there's still hope and I'm curious to read what comes out.

I haven't read Name of the Wind yet. I'm afraid to because there's a novel idea I've been tossing around for a few years now which is very similar, and I don't want to confuse my own work.

Then again, the last time that happened I thought mine was better, so...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Wait until you read the second one. There are certain developments, on several fronts. And it's better than the first. Besides, it was Tolkien that invented the moden fantasy concept of "good" and "bad" races, if you want to play that card. Something you should understand if you've read Mistborn is that rarely is anything ever at it seems on the surface, and he makes a point to subvert tropes.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Iron Father

You could also try "the painted man" by Peter V Brett. It's a really good read if your into fantasy books, it's sequels are also excellent and the series isn't finished yet. If you like Daemons you will like these books .
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Wait until you read the second one. There are certain developments, on several fronts. And it's better than the first. Besides, it was Tolkien that invented the moden fantasy concept of "good" and "bad" races, if you want to play that card. Something you should understand if you've read Mistborn is that rarely is anything ever at it seems on the surface, and he makes a point to subvert tropes.
    Response hidden for the uninitiated.

It was, specifically, the idea of the race that is enslaved "for it's own good" that I thought would trip him up.

But like I said, I reserve judgment until I've actually read it. I did note that about Mistborn (and everything else he's written) so I was cautious, but optimistic, even before your comment.

Chapter-Master

There's actually at least three different subplots dedicated to different aspects of your concern that I can think of, plus a new viewpoint character, and that's not including the class issues that get brought up. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it being swept under the rug.

Chapter-Master

There's actually at least three different subplots dedicated to different aspects of your concern that I can think of, plus a new viewpoint character, and that's not including the class issues that get brought up. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it being swept under the rug.
    Awesome. I may start reading tonight, if my regular post-school year torpor doesn't put me to bed at sunset.

I often go back and watch favourite episodes of Buffy or DS9/VOY/TNG or whatever. Also see a lot of whatever my girly cousin horde are watching, think I've seen Justice League Unlimited about six times.

You should also watch Sleepy Hollow if you haen't already, such good.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Mystery, I have to admit, you often seem like the most backward, anti-me person I've ever seen post but I agree that football, of any variety is mind numbing and I would rather be watching Star-trek. Netflix is the go-to.

As for Buffy, I honestly feel that anyone who can stare at Sarah Michelle Geller for that long and not vomit doesn't deserve to breath the same air that I do. It's not much better than Twilight which isn't saying much.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast