BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Unhappy I'm getting old oh how times change!

Certain trends lately remind me of how old I'm getting and how young people are so rapidly changing.

I recently deleted my Facebook account, sick of the drama, and told my friends they could just email me. They never do... and after asking one why, he said that email was too much of a hassle. Email. A hassle...

I realized recently you don't have to use www anymore before a URL. Yet I still type it in... every time.

I told my girlfriend she should make a mix tape for our car trip on the weekend. She didn't know what a mix tape was. She's only 5 years younger than I.

Despite calling it a mix tape, I actually burn them onto CDs. I was told people don't even really do that anymore. Some new computers don't even have disk drives!

When I told my girlfriend it was the anniversary of D-Day she didn't know what that was.

A few years ago I had feelings for a woman from Germany who was in her early 20s so I wrote her a romantic letter and mailed it to her. She had never received a hand written letter before, let alone one of that nature.

I have a habit of listening to the radio for news and a young friend asked me condescendingly why I bothered. I had to remind him, when I was growing up, access to the internet was rare, watching TV all day was frowned upon and the radio, which was a very common, convenient outlet for information, was often the only cheap outlet for music or world news in a small town of 2000 folks.

I still say "folks"

I haven't watched TV in months.

The idea of buying MP3s baffles me. The idea of buying an MP3 player baffles me. If I am going to buy music, I at least better get a booklet or a vinyl sleeve or something I can add to a collection and spending hundreds on a tiny device that can only play music for yourself and doesn't have proper speaker hookups seems crazy.

I'm getting old... this sucks.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Chapter-Master

How does anyone who has been through a western school system not know what D-day is? That's nothing to do with you being old.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    How does anyone who has been through a western school system not know what D-day is? That's nothing to do with you being old.
    The words we are looking for here are "willful ignorance".

Harley mate, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and the scary thing is I'm not even 30 yet!
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

You're not old, just not very good at embracing change, even when it's for the better.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    When I told my girlfriend it was the anniversary of D-Day she didn't know what that was.
    Get a new girlfriend?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Fly Lord

The one that stuck with me was when the college dudes at Home Depot offered to carry my 20 bags of mulch out to the car for me... and called me sir...

Also, I have a copy of my high school graduation on....

wait for it

BETA!!!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chaplain

Haha BG you should convert it to digital :P I've got some old tapes of my family I need to do that with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    The words we are looking for here are "willful ignorance".

Harley mate, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and the scary thing is I'm not even 30 yet!
    Actually I don't recall ever covering almost anything about WW2 in school. Most of what I know was learned through self education, just reading, or watching history programs.
    It's surprising the amount of important events not covered by public education which can differ vastly from one city to another. She went to school in Detroit if that makes any difference, not that it's a valid excuse.

DarkLink, I'm not sure that embracing some change is always good. For example, the whole email thing. Funny enough the guys at work will print me off important emails and leave them on my desk... we are on the same network... just forward me the email so that I don't have to manually type in the info!
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Chapter-Master

It's mostly "yeah, so there was a war, and Hitler was kinda a jerk, and we were buddies with Stalin but then we weren't but America won". Out here in California, however, we spent like three full years learning about how native Americans lived in harmony with their environment and ate nothing but acorns.

I had some great math, science, and english teachers, though. And we did cover a pretty good range of history when it came down to it.

This:
    [url]http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/whatever-happened-to-the-blink-182-nurse-close-your-eyes-it-aint-pretty/story-e6frfn09-1226366410764[/url]
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Well, I'm a Mentor to around 85 colleagues. Majority are young Graduates just beginning their careers.

In the words of Muse, and the song I'm listening to right now? It scares the hell out of me.

Dress down last Friday. My The Crow tee was on the clean heap. *nobody* recognised it. Nobody has ever watched The Young Ones or Bottom.

Pretty much all my pop culture references (and there's a lot of them. I'm like a walking episode of Spaced, with interposed footage of Carry On films) go over their heads.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

D-Day was only briefly touched on in my school, but honestly I don't have a problem with that. Instead the WW2 focus was on the Pacific, as in the bits that Australia was actually actively fighting in. Things like the bombing of Darwin and the Kokoda Trail and the sacking of Singapore. I was actually stunned to find out that in Europe and North America that entire area is completely ignored. >:|
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast