BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Feel No Pain and Perils of the Warp

Hello everyone,

Something that cropped up in a game to test out 7th Ed. yesterday, I was using a wraithseer. He was casting his psychic ability onto himself that gives him Feel No Pain, was successful, but also got a Perils and took a wound.

I wondered whether I should have been able to use the FNP that he had to ignore the wound (being that it isn't a 'save' as has been discussed elsewhere, but is specifically a wound ignore). The discussion came down to ordering though... i.e.

Cast Psychic ability successfully -> Gains FNP -> Suffers Perils wound -> Uses FNP on Perils wound - would seem fine.

Alternatively, if it was deemed that he hadn't cast it successfully at that initial step, because by that point my opponent still had the chance to roll his dice to counter the ability. So instead:

Start to cast Psychic ability (successful first step but not 'fully cast') -> Takes Perils wound -> Opponent's chance to counter (failed) -> Gains FNP, but too late to do anything about the Perils wound.

We went with the latter. What are thoughts on this?

I'd be inclined to say that the perils effect happens before you gain the benefit of the psychic power (so no FNP result). I don't have a rulebook on me atm, so don't have any hard rules to back that up though.

*edit - also, once you get sufficient successes for a psychic power, it has been successfully cast. Your opponent can only attempt to deny a power that has been successful.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Veteran-Sergeant

It is possible to cast a power and perils so the FNP would be in effect if the power was cast so I would give the FNP save.

It is also possible to perils, succeed and then be denied in which case you don't get the FNP save.

It is also possible to fail a level 3 power and perils by rolling 2x6's and not geting 3x4+ results so you wouldnt get the benefits either.

You apply the effects of the perils immediately. Since you check for perils before the power has been "cast" you would not get the FNP from the power you're casting.

If you check the BRB it is fairly clear. Right at the end of step three for manifesting psychic powers it says "if two or more sixes are rolled, the psyker suffers perils of the warp, which is resolved immediately". You don't resolve the actual psychic power itself until step five.

In the SR section of the BRB it is quite implicit that F'N'P can be used against Perils of the Warp, this is a change since 6th....

But as stated above the Perils is immediately resolved upon rolling at least 2x6s, before the power manifests.

So in the example Warlock's case the F'N'P would have only been successfully cast after the model already suffers the wound, if the model is already at W=0 he's dead and can't be affected by the F'N'P ignores wounds rule.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

You got fnp against perils in 6th, too. And in 5th. And still in 7th.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    In the SR section of the BRB it is quite implicit that F'N'P can be used against Perils of the Warp, this is a change since 6th....

But as stated above the Perils is immediately resolved upon rolling at least 2x6s, before the power manifests.

So in the example Warlock's case the F'N'P would have only been successfully cast after the model already suffers the wound, if the model is already at W=0 he's dead and can't be affected by the F'N'P ignores wounds rule.
    Please cite in quotes the line you feel is so implicit?

Chapter-Master

The logic that you die from suffering a wound before fnp kicks in is completely nonsensical. Fnp would literally never work, ever, if that was how it interacted with taking wounds.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The logic that you die from suffering a wound before fnp kicks in is completely nonsensical. Fnp would literally never work, ever, if that was how it interacted with taking wounds.
    The question here is more if FNP generated by a psychic power can be used to protect against wounds caused by a perils which is suffered during casting said power, not whether FNP can be used for perils full stop.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast