BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopholes View Post
    Can't emphasize that Icon of Excess enough. Every game its paid for itself usually two or three times even though its only a 5+
    depends on the squad. I wouldn't buy it for a 5 man blastmaster squad, or a 3 man bike squad.

But a 5 man bike squad or 10 man siren/CSM squad, sure it rocks then
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

An additional thought hit me regarding aggressive Noise Marine load outs which I will be testing. Rather than using the expensive Cypher Formation, I could just take Cypher. If Huron or Ahriman is my Warlord, I can ensure the unit of nine Noise Marines (per earlier post) is able to Outflank and I can just purchase Cypher alone without the Formation. This cuts prices a good deal and throws a nice perk into those Noise Marines coming in hot. They will gain the benefit of being Shrouded and having Hit & Run. For that matter, Cypher in a big nasty gun line of Noise Marines (say the 20 Strong firebase) is awesome because if your opponent actually reaches them to silence the guns, you just run after surviving combat (which you will do with that high number) and fall back during your opponent's turn and get to fire all over again as if you didn't move on your own turn. Hrm. Tasty in theoryhammer. I'll put it to the test soon.

*Hrm. And if I get a combined arms detachment in the army from Crimson Slaughter with some Divination per their Wargear, those Noise Marines have a damn good likelyhood of overwatching at full Ballistic Skill, as Cypher already does.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 06-19-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    so is it infantry, daemon engines, tanks, terminators?

Does she like the heldrake? what about spawn?

those are our hard/fast hitters.

I'd reccomend slaanesh, then, they do both of those pretty well and they are the only army that can really dual role.
    Plus they get a bit of a resistance boost with the icon of excess which makes up for not having the MoN

A core of 5 man noise marine squads with blast masters
    and 6 man squads with doom sirens in rhinos is pretty good.

Back it up with a pair of mauler fiends, a heldrake and 2 units of bikes (with IoE) and your probably looking at the beginnings of a mean army.
    We discussed this last night. Shes narrowed it down to either starting with a couple of boxes of csm's and the noise marine upgrades, a hellbrute, a couple of bike squads and some spawn or possessed or dark vengeance and using the da's as fallen and getting Cypher to go with them.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Sounds good. If you want noise marines. Have a look at the FW kacophani. Much nicer models in my opinion
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Another thing to consider is custom Sonic Weaponry rather than buying the bits. It is quite easy to make very cool looking Sonic Blasters. The best versions I've seen involved those vicious little animal heads (often vehicle bits I believe) attached to guns. The larger ones, of course, were used for the Blast Masters. Doom Sirens merely require some kind of elevated attachment to your backpack with a nasty face or even the Dirge Caster bit with a cunning setting. I do own Noise Marines with the official sonic blasters but in all honesty they were more trouble than they were worth. If I had it to do over again, I would do the custom jobs in a heartbeat.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    An additional thought hit me regarding aggressive Noise Marine load outs which I will be testing. Rather than using the expensive Cypher Formation, I could just take Cypher. If Huron or Ahriman is my Warlord, I can ensure the unit of nine Noise Marines (per earlier post) is able to Outflank and I can just purchase Cypher alone without the Formation. This cuts prices a good deal and throws a nice perk into those Noise Marines coming in hot. They will gain the benefit of being Shrouded and having Hit & Run. For that matter, Cypher in a big nasty gun line of Noise Marines (say the 20 Strong firebase) is awesome because if your opponent actually reaches them to silence the guns, you just run after surviving combat (which you will do with that high number) and fall back during your opponent's turn and get to fire all over again as if you didn't move on your own turn. Hrm. Tasty in theoryhammer. I'll put it to the test soon.

*Hrm. And if I get a combined arms detachment in the army from Crimson Slaughter with some Divination per their Wargear, those Noise Marines have a damn good likelyhood of overwatching at full Ballistic Skill, as Cypher already does.
    Man, I saw your other post and as you said then, it was meant for higher point matches. I could see the Noise Marine/Cypher mix working in an 1850 list easy. I'll probably try that out myself this weekend and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
    We discussed this last night. Shes narrowed it down to either starting with a couple of boxes of csm's and the noise marine upgrades, a hellbrute, a couple of bike squads and some spawn or possessed or dark vengeance and using the da's as fallen and getting Cypher to go with them.
    I suggest against the possessed only bc unless they come with the battleforce, they're expensive monetarily and in-game while not being all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopholes View Post
    Man, I saw your other post and as you said then, it was meant for higher point matches. I could see the Noise Marine/Cypher mix working in an 1850 list easy. I'll probably try that out myself this weekend and see how it goes.
    Well Cypher by himself can work in lower points games, and is ideal to give Shrouded and Hit & Run to key shooting units. Now using Cypher with the Fallen Champions Formation definitely needs a high point game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Another thing to consider is custom Sonic Weaponry rather than buying the bits. It is quite easy to make very cool looking Sonic Blasters. The best versions I've seen involved those vicious little animal heads (often vehicle bits I believe) attached to guns. The larger ones, of course, were used for the Blast Masters. Doom Sirens merely require some kind of elevated attachment to your backpack with a nasty face or even the Dirge Caster bit with a cunning setting. I do own Noise Marines with the official sonic blasters but in all honesty they were more trouble than they were worth. If I had it to do over again, I would do the custom jobs in a heartbeat.
    Any pictures/links to the custom noise marines?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
    Any pictures/links to the custom noise marines?
    Let me look. Since my Noise Marines aren't custom, I'll have to contact the player who does use them and ask for some. I might just build one real quick to show you. Give me till Sunday. I have the bits required to do it.

So if she decides to go with 2 10 man noise marine squads, 2 rhinos, 2 helbrutes, a 5 man bike squad and some spawn, who should the HQ choice be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast