BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chaplain

If the Pillager doesn't move, it can assault, with a range of 24". I've tried to balance this by limiting capacity to 6.

Warriors may be I4 but they have offensive grenades now, allowing them to actually launch raids on fortified defence lines WITHOUT half the squad being battered first!

In other news, I HAVE NOW WRITTEN ALL THE UNIT ENTRIES I ORIGINALLY INTENDED TO, plus a few more. The Codex version 1.0 is DONE.

Soon I can jazz it up a bit more and PDF-ise it and such. But I'm now writing rules for Atrotos' blog and as such won't post as much here anymore.

Soon I will post a preview of what to expect from my next Codex, my Custom Chapter, the Male Sist...Angels of Secrecy.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Very good work bryss! I'm not a very big fan of the evil pointy eared ones(too emo and tree-hugging for me) but I have to say this page has made me want to buy a dark avatar and fallen phoenix lord. I smell a conversion project coming along...Oops thats just my dog.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

I have to say that I really like your fan-dex. I think you have grasped the ideas behind 5th ed codices and have a list of units, weapons and wargear that provide multiple competitive (and fluffy lists) as well as builds that can adapt as the game constantly evolves.

Having said that, I do have a few suggestions.

Fearless Reavers – I’m not so sure that the offensive grenades part of the rule is a good idea. Being that DE have fast skimmer vehicles, and fast units with fleet, I think it would be better to force the DE player to think creatively around getting through cover. Saying this, the units where the initiative has been cut (such as warriors), I would add back. If you want to keep it, then I think you should separate the offensive grenades and the consolidation parts.

Khainite units (Black Avatar, Khainite Priest, and Khainite Warriors) and blessings of Khaine – I’m personally not a huge fan of adding Khaine oriented units in the DE for a few reasons. 1. I think that you have done an excellent job of creating and fleshing out many more useful DE oriented units. 2. If you removed all the Khainite units you would still have 24 regular units (I believe) plus independent characters. 3. I think it actually would hurt the fluff (if you write any for this) some by going too many directions instead of focusing on the main aspects of DE – raiding, slavery, and torture. 4. I think that DE should still be about speed, being an incredibly powerful glass canon, and more speed. I’m not sure the Khainite units fit this very well – Khainite warriors might, but they seem to be just a better, more close combat oriented DE warrior, which I think still overlaps too much with DE warriors and mandrakes.

Wych weapons - to follow GW's direction, why not make it simple like an opposite Preferred Enemy. Maybe something like "Any unit attacking a wych unit with wych weapons must re-roll successful to-hit rolls.

Warriors and special weapons – speaking of warriors, I would actually increase their cost to 9 points and remove the offensive grenades (hear me on this). Doing this, I would increase their initiative to 5 again, and give them their sybarite for free. Plus, I would adjust the special weapons.

To me, it looks like you increased the cost of the special weapons (especially the Dark Lance) to make it so other units are viable other than warriors (which are the main users of special weapons with the exception of Scourges). It also looks like you increased the costs to make it so that Dark Lances would not be the almost immediate pick. Consider this instead: by increasing costs for units (like warriors) that have access to these weapons (since they are mostly just platforms for said weaponry), you have made them more expensive without discouraging the unit and weapon altogether. Also, if you are wanting to make the Dark Lance have more competition, how about increasing the power of the other weapons. Perhaps try these profiles:

Dark Lance: Range 36” Strength 8 AP 2 Heavy 1, Lance (good ol’ standard Dark Lance)

Splinter Cannon: Range 24” Strength 5 AP 5 Assault 4 (makes it a very powerful, assault weapon for the DE)

Shredder: Range 18” Strength 6 AP – Assault 1, Large Blast (gives DE an infantry blast weapon, unlike the old one, it uses the large blast template – if I remember correctly)

Blaster: Range 12” Strength 8 AP 1 Assault 1, Lance (makes it have a slightly different purpose than Dark Lance)

These could be costed at 10 or 15 points each, and would not be OP since the price of your warriors went up.

I know this was a lot, but again, I really like the direction you’ve gone in. Hope my thoughts were helpful.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by kelterran View Post
    I have to say that I really like your fan-dex. I think you have grasped the ideas behind 5th ed codices and have a list of units, weapons and wargear that provide multiple competitive (and fluffy lists) as well as builds that can adapt as the game constantly evolves.
    First off, it's nice to see a new face around this section. I hope I can see more of your critiscism/actual rules in the future. Thanks, it's nice to see that people appreciate my modifications.

Having said that, I do have a few suggestions.

Fearless Reavers – I’m not so sure that the offensive grenades part of the rule is a good idea. Being that DE have fast skimmer vehicles, and fast units with fleet, I think it would be better to force the DE player to think creatively around getting through cover. Saying this, the units where the initiative has been cut (such as warriors), I would add back. If you want to keep it, then I think you should separate the offensive grenades and the consolidation parts.
    A raiding force is a bit useless if it can't hit fortified positions isn't it? That's the theory behind Fearless Reavers. Dark Eldar shouldn't have to work around cover, they should pounce on the enemy when they think they're safe.

Khainite units (Black Avatar, Khainite Priest, and Khainite Warriors) and blessings of Khaine – I’m personally not a huge fan of adding Khaine oriented units in the DE for a few reasons. 1. I think that you have done an excellent job of creating and fleshing out many more useful DE oriented units. 2. If you removed all the Khainite units you would still have 24 regular units (I believe) plus independent characters. 3. I think it actually would hurt the fluff (if you write any for this) some by going too many directions instead of focusing on the main aspects of DE – raiding, slavery, and torture. 4. I think that DE should still be about speed, being an incredibly powerful glass canon, and more speed. I’m not sure the Khainite units fit this very well – Khainite warriors might, but they seem to be just a better, more close combat oriented DE warrior, which I think still overlaps too much with DE warriors and mandrakes.
    I've decided to put a limiter on Khainite warriors unless a Priest is taken, to create the impression of a smaller mercenary count. I like to think of Incubi and Khainites as the Aspect Warriors of this force. GW's direction with this arrmy seems to be making them a bit more Eldar-ish. They also create a chance to make a more resilient force, which could help newer players get to know the army better.

Wych weapons - to follow GW's direction, why not make it simple like an opposite Preferred Enemy. Maybe something like "Any unit attacking a wych unit with wych weapons must re-roll successful to-hit rolls.
    I am not GW. I like the current official Codex, although a lot needed fixing. I changed Combat Drugs only to make them easier to remember. But I kept Wych Weapons similar to the original, because I like them.

Warriors and special weapons – speaking of warriors, I would actually increase their cost to 9 points and remove the offensive grenades (hear me on this). Doing this, I would increase their initiative to 5 again, and give them their sybarite for free. Plus, I would adjust the special weapons.
    GW's method with Sergeant figures seems to be that only the Imperium get free Sergeants. Sybarites are more like Aspiring Champions, they lead but are not always present. Besides, maybe they DID have a Sybarite fluff wise, but the Archon killed him pre-battle!

Considering Fearless Reavers and its bonuses, I'll give you back I5 Warriors. But they will stay the same cost, as GW seems to be on a lowering point crusade anyway.

To me, it looks like you increased the cost of the special weapons (especially the Dark Lance) to make it so other units are viable other than warriors (which are the main users of special weapons with the exception of Scourges). It also looks like you increased the costs to make it so that Dark Lances would not be the almost immediate pick. Consider this instead: by increasing costs for units (like warriors) that have access to these weapons (since they are mostly just platforms for said weaponry), you have made them more expensive without discouraging the unit and weapon altogether. Also, if you are wanting to make the Dark Lance have more competition, how about increasing the power of the other weapons. Perhaps try these profiles:
    It's true, I hate sniper squads. But looking at these profiles:

Dark Lance: Range 36” Strength 8 AP 2 Heavy 1, Lance (good ol’ standard Dark Lance)

Splinter Cannon: Range 24” Strength 5 AP 5 Assault 4 (makes it a very powerful, assault weapon for the DE)

Shredder: Range 18” Strength 6 AP – Assault 1, Large Blast (gives DE an infantry blast weapon, unlike the old one, it uses the large blast template – if I remember correctly)

Blaster: Range 12” Strength 8 AP 1 Assault 1, Lance (makes it have a slightly different purpose than Dark Lance)

These could be costed at 10 or 15 points each, and would not be OP since the price of your warriors went up.

I know this was a lot, but again, I really like the direction you’ve gone in. Hope my thoughts were helpful.
    Dark Lance: Now, If I were to make that S8, any time my army fought a Monolith it would be squashed. Yeah, thanks for that, but the Lance will stay S9

Splinter Cannon: Nice. I like that. Stolen.

Shredder: Because it's a monofilament weapon, I wanted it more like a Deathspinner. Although:

Blaster: I'd like to make this a small blast weapon now. Like a mini-plasma cannon, instead of Lancing.

But other than that, I'm glad you like it.

A raiding force is a bit useless if it can't hit fortified positions isn't it? That's the theory behind Fearless Reavers. Dark Eldar shouldn't have to work around cover, they should pounce on the enemy when they think they're safe.
    True, I guess I'm thinking in gaming terms if that would be OP, especially for having already fast units that are going to strike you by turn 2 (maybe turn 1? I haven't done the math or playtest). But it's worth a shot.

I've decided to put a limiter on Khainite warriors unless a Priest is taken, to create the impression of a smaller mercenary count. I like to think of Incubi and Khainites as the Aspect Warriors of this force. GW's direction with this arrmy seems to be making them a bit more Eldar-ish. They also create a chance to make a more resilient force, which could help newer players get to know the army better.
    Good decision, I believe. My real criticism with Khainite Warriors is mostly because they are basically slightly more expensive non-sniper-squad DE warriors. Limiting them would help. My personal idea for having a more resilient force would be to make Grotesques into a full troop selection (not just if another unit is fielded), especially with them having a Haemonculus automatically. I think Wyches, DE Warriors, and Grotesques (the way you have them) synergize very well for having troops that can handle most things extremely well. But I can see the desire to have a resilent troop choice that can shoot as well - just something that really isn't my taste I guess.

I am not GW. I like the current official Codex, although a lot needed fixing. I changed Combat Drugs only to make them easier to remember. But I kept Wych Weapons similar to the original, because I like them.
    I should have been more clear on this. I'm not saying that you are GW and thereby limited to their decisions. My thoughts go to all of the struggles from unclear rules involving wych weapons that happened in previous editions of the game (and lack of good FAQing). I think the way I suggested meets the same basic goal, but makes it less complicated for both players.

GW's method with Sergeant figures seems to be that only the Imperium get free Sergeants. Sybarites are more like Aspiring Champions, they lead but are not always present. Besides, maybe they DID have a Sybarite fluff wise, but the Archon killed him pre-battle!

Considering Fearless Reavers and its bonuses, I'll give you back I5 Warriors. But they will stay the same cost, as GW seems to be on a lowering point crusade anyway.
    Point conceded concerning Sybarites. As far as the points go, I thought that DE warriors were already fairly priced so to keep them the same or a little higher but in turn give them really cheap and powerful special weapons would still be a strength.

Dark Lance: Now, If I were to make that S8, any time my army fought a Monolith it would be squashed. Yeah, thanks for that, but the Lance will stay S9
    My thought is that Monolith's are fairly rare and since you brought in a S10 weapon in the Pit of Slaves and Soul Prison (although maybe make the Soulstorm available as a regular shooting attack for Soul Prison and make it so that it can penetrate vehicles?), Monoliths would still be threatened.

Shredder: Because it's a monofilament weapon, I wanted it more like a Deathspinner. Although:

Blaster: I'd like to make this a small blast weapon now. Like a mini-plasma cannon, instead of Lancing.
    I like this overall. Although I'm not as crazy about the shredder (remember, I like cheap and powerful special weapons!).

That's all for now.
    Last edited by kelterran; 02-17-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: update

Chaplain

Monoliths may be fairly rare now, but the game evolves, and I expect to see more of them when the new 'Crons come out.

As for the Soulstorm, it's as much a psychological weapon as a weapon weapon, and vehicles don't have a proper mind. Plus, you're asking me to remove the crazy fits the current Soul Prison has so it can fire its weapon more? I like having the Soul Prison with that bit of randomness, and so do other people.

The problem with making Grotesques a Troop choice is that I can't see an Archon leading an all Grotesque army. A Haemonculus might, but an Archon? Nah, I don't think so. That's the reasoning behind Mad Scientist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123