BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

I really, really would like to comment on this material. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to read it all. The first thing I tell everyone that asks me about writing rules is to make presentation a top priority. Use Bold, Italics and underlining as well as colors as often as possible to break up text and make your post more user-friendly. Also please change your stats format to something easier to skim. I use WS: 4 BS: 4 S: 3 T: 3 etc. because I feel it's the most natural way to read something outside of an actual table.

I'll be quick to add that my formating is hardly perfect (its an ongoing struggle with my absurd dyslexic ways) but I want to be helpful with my criticism even if I don't follow it 100%.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, please keep up the good work.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

If need be I can share my photoshop template for fake codex covers (as seen in my fake SoB codex cover) and the adobe indesign project for the book bit.

Chaplain

• Added the colour blue to proceedings
    • Attempted a tidy-up

I've never worked with PDFs before and havn't had a chance to look at Dark Eldar fanart (if it exists), so right now I'll focus on actually finishing the thing.

I'm also thinking of making an entry for Slave Squads (maybe Gretchin-esque meat shields led by Haemonculi, maybe with some way of feeding them into my beloved Pits) but I'm not entirely sure how I'll make them useful for anything other than that.
    Cyberscape7 and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    My Beloved Blog: http://www.bryssling.blogspot.com/

The pdf is the result of an export action, indesign is more like an advanced word processor.

Chaplain

• Added Wych Lord entry
    • Added Haemonculi entry
    • Added Wych Gladiator entry
    • Added Wych Beasthunter entry

Veteran-Sergeant

Some first Impressions:

To begin this is a great effort and I would happy to play against these rules with only minor changes. I love how you've concentrated on the fluff but I do feel this clashes a little with game balance.

1. Your "ICs become Hostages" rule is gonna really throw a monkey wrench in the game especially in Capture and Control. This is not because there will be another objective on the board (GW has done this with Bjorn) but because the DE player will total control over where it is placed. Even if the IC is captured as early as 3rd turn I could see many games ending early because the opposing player will simply have no way to reach the far end of the board in time - it's close to an autowin for the DE player.

2. I find it's best that upgrades give only one bonus. Your Soul Seeker ammunition gives two which detracts from what I call "specialization of strategy" - namely that when list building the player should be encouraged to build lists that focus on a small number of tactics at the expense of all others. GW follows this creed when designing rules and I think it works well.

3. Screaming Jets is a little too powerful. Think of the effect this could have in certain situations against hoard/low Ld armies. It's a fluffy idea but I would change the morale check to a pinning check in order to mitigate its brutality (or IG players won't play against you).

4. Slave Snares is way over-powered. Consider that each vehicle with this upgrade could realistically take out 20 gaunts/guardsmen or 15 Orks or several MEQs in just its movement phase by flying over ONE unit. Fluffy as hell but you'll have to tone it down.

5. The Fallen Pheonix rule is genius, I love it.

6. Both the Incubi and the Wyches are about 2-4 points per model too cheap. There aren't really any units I can think of with comparable stats but if you consider the cost of Howling Banshees (16pts IIRC with power weapons and a 4+ sv) you'll see these guys need a small increase.

7. In your iteration Warrios can only take a single Darklance if they're 20 strong, why?

8. I was confused by Hellbats taking prisoners (especially automatically) -seems out of character for Jump infantry especially when you've written fluff about them taking off people's heads. Not very conducive to capturing, decapitating is.

9. "Raiding Vehicle" special rule is very powerful against T3 armies. I think you've focused a little too much on MEQ opponents without considering units such as Ratlings which will suffer greatly under the current rules.

10. The Soul Prison sounds like a great modelling opportunity - maybe like a Dark Wraithlord?

The are just first impression as I stated earlier and please consider my opinion suspect because I'm not overly familiar with the Dark Eldar codex as it now stands having played with it only 3 or 4 times.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Chaplain

@ Atrotos: Your experience writing rules more than makes up for it!

1. Point taken. I'll modify the rule so that it's a bit more fair.

2. I didn't actually change SS Ammo from what it was before. I've now made it more in line with similar upgrades.

3. I'd hate to lose the respect of the Guard community. Done.

4. Changed to 2D6 hits on the whole unit.

5. I think so too.

6. Incubi and Wyches a bit more expensive now, and Incubi may now swap out their splinter pistol for a better weapon, but this costs more than normal in a measure to stop people from heckling me that its only 39 points for an Incubus with a Punisher AND a Blaster.

7. After looking at Herald of Nurgle's DE redux I will change this. I originally did that to stop the fielding of 'sniper' squads but the DL is now more expensive for Warriors anyway.

8. Indeed it isn't. Changed to something better.

9. The Slave Snare section of the Raiding Vehicle rule is now in line with the new Slave Snare rules.

10. And that's exactly what inspired me to do the Soul Prison in the first place. There was an OK-looking one in the original thread for the Pit of Slaves.

While I'm here I'll also write up rules for:
    • Grotesques
    • Arena Beasts
    • Lelith Hesperax
    • Reaver Jetbikes

The Reavers have yet another mad assault rule, but this one's rather risky. Note that Warriors pilot my Reaver, not Wyches.
    Last edited by Master Bryss; 02-03-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Chaplain

• Urien Rakarth is done
    • Drazhar is done

Short and sweet, as I don't have much time to write rules.

Chaplain

• Remembered to add the Blessing of Khaine bonus to Arhra
    • Did rules for the Black Avatar
    • Did rules for Scourges

It's really only the Khanite stuff left now.

I absolutely love these ruleswould love to play them sometime!!

Not entirely sure I like warriors Down to I:4 I mean that's as slow as a marine *shudders* and the price of the lance but you have made them better so works out.

To clarify the pillager does it not move at al in movement and assaults like a fast skimmer moves which would mean it could make a flat out 24" assault which is Nasty or it forgoes normal momvement to assault which is kinda uselessbecause to assault you need to have been sitting 6" which is practilly right next to whatever your planning on assaulting through the opponents turn kinda a bad idea the way I look at it

-edit-

I love how you've bought Kaine back into the fold and the fallen pheonix is awesome.

And a suggestion what about harlequins?? Something Id dearly love to see is dark eldar with them
    Last edited by helvexis; 02-16-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast