BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Eldar unit part II, TROOP

And we are back on this matter...

Today, i´m thinking about the awesome Troop choices, that we have in the Eldar codex...if you thought the HQ was a difficult choice, well...here we go...

Every single troop unit has it´s own purpose. When i started the Eldar, the Rangers were the first thing, that i fell in love with. In our D&D, i played a Dark Elf Sniper, so that might have affected things a bit ...then the opponents noticed the flamers´ll roast them, so that´s that for the most part. Dire Avengers...deadly volley of shurikens, which got even better in the latest codex. Still rolling with them, but now mainly to get the Wave Serpent. Guardians, hmm, they were the last troop choice i bought and i still use them very occasionally.

And we have a winner!

Especially in the 7th edition (altough the Jink nerfing), the Jetbikes are the shining jewel in our troop selection. Only 51p(!) without the cannon, you can have a REALLY cheap minimum troop (102p) choices on your FOC. T4 again, priceless and the ability to GO for distance. If the First Blood is dealt already, i tend to use (if necessary) them as a "throw it under the bus" -unit = go for your Maelstrom points, even if they´ll die with a 99.99% chance. I keep the unit small and seldom take the cannon. If i take a bigger squad, i´ll throw in an Autarch or/and a Farseer. The funniest thing is, this is the unit i usually (about 7/10 times) fail my morale check after some damage and they´ll ZOOM out of the board...

What is our fancy?

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

Dire Avengers - although I miss the old bladestorm. Even with the new rendinglite they have, getting 27-32 shots out of a single unit @ BS4 was great at general housekeeping.

Or Wraithguard (any config) when toting a spiritseer.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Have you tried the Wraithblades? I´m thinking about a unit of those...running out of a Raider of course
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Have you tried the Wraithblades? I´m thinking about a unit of those...running out of a Raider of course
    I have.

I use them in my Iyanden list with a unit of 10 cannon WG and 5 DScythe WG in a serpent. They are ... ok. They are huge targets. People tend to dump a lot of firepower into them. For this reason I run the spiritseer with them (and for the 4++ save). If they make it to combat their lack of attacks makes them difficult to punch through large units. They carve through small tough units and MC's though.

I love the models though which is why I run them.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

maxed DA on foot or in serpent with ps/ss for the massive 5++, minimum gjb - for stealing, really like the idea of storm guardians with warlock and two fusion guns - much better than previous codex but still point heavy for a 5+ armour save that says - "five fire dragons do the job better"

Brother-Captain

I love my Dire Avengers, there are very few things they can't cut through and they're extremely fluid while they do so. They can kill plenty of things and keep moving to wherever I want them. Even when charged they aren't so bad. All of that overwatch followed by counter-attacking at high initiative with good weapon skill manages to actually cause a fair bit of damage.

On foot I go for an Exarch with power sword & shimmershield. I love not having to rely on cover so much and still getting the save against ignores cover shooting. The Exarch is also handy in close combat. In a Wave Serpent I don't bother with an Exarch, I imagine it wouldn't be so bad swapping them for Guardians when in a Serpent, they're usually close enough anyway and it's later game when they get out which means they won't usually be in much danger and will be getting out to help deliver the killing blow.

1. jetbike for points, mobility and effectiveness (orginal models are ugly like devil's a*s but I like my conversions made from DE jetbikes)
    2. Dire Avengers (always trying to take full 10 eldar squad with exarch with WYSIWYG, do not like idea taking them at lowest cost to take dedicated transport) 'cause they're versalite badasses, plain and simple. Good firepower, good mobility, power weapon and inv option. Still miss their Defender option from previous codex, though.

Wraithguards are cool looking, scary undead constructs but not so all arounder like previous two.

The lowly Guardian.

The mainstay of the Eldar and because I have around 100+ of them.

Though GW nerf'd the hell out of them back at the end of 3rd Edition (they were to good at killing Space Marines) and they fallen by the way side.

If only I didn't have to take that Weapon's Platform for every squad and they had their 24" range back.

Chapter-Master

A couple guardian squads in serpents for durability and a couple jetbike squads for mobility. I love guardians!

Brother-Sergeant

Fairly standard for me is 3 10man DA foot units with pw/ss exarch. Then 2 units of 6 jetbikes, 2 SC. And a unit of rangers. I mostly use the bikes to support the DA units, sometimes Obj capping but primarily they move around to back up whichever DA units are currently at risk. The rangers are more cause they are cheapish and I like the models, they also occasionally do well but I don't really count on them for much besides capping back field obj's since I tend to focus most of my army midfield.

That's generally the base for any list I build with eldar. Tho the meta in my local group has shifted to lots of troops, large volume short range is where we seem to have landed with the tables we're using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast