BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7 Things every miniature painter needs to add to their arsenal right now.

Greetings, all!

Looking around my work space, I was reflecting upon some of the "special" items I've added to my arsenal of tools in the past, and thought I would share my list of must have items that can improve any modeler's experience. Without further a-dude...

1.) Tamiya Clear Red
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v-tam81527.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	9483
    Want to paint blood? Here you go. No hassle, perfect blood every damn time. This stuff even "coagulates" in the cap like real blood. Perfect texture, gloss, and thickness. Try it, I promise you will not be disappointed.

2.) Super Glue Accelerator

Name:	83118_R.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	9484
    Tired of holding pieces together while your glue dries? Spray some of this on, and the bond is instant. Perfect for getting that arm perfectly positioned or whatever. "Oh, but the bond is not as strong!" some contrarian will add. That contrarian is probably holding pieces together as we speak. I've barely noticed a difference in strength honestly but in almost every instance this stuff makes my life easier. Use it.

3.)Jewler's Saw

Name:	jeweler's_saw.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	9485
    I can't believe it took me as long as it did to pick one of these up. Whether you are working with plastic or metal, you will never get a more precise and easy to control cut than with one of these. An absolute must-have for any serious modeler or kit-basher.

4.) Non-American Uhu glue

You know how European modelers (massive voodoo) always have awesome blood and slime effects? This is why. Get your German friends to send you some of this (the stuff you can buy in the US with the green writing on it is not the same). The European stuff probably gives you face cancer or something, but it is worth it for the awesome effects you can get with this stuff. This is what I used for the wings on my Nurgle Daemon Prince. It is great stuff.
    [URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/popg0estheworld/media/40K/Nurgle032.jpg.html][/URL]

5.) Citadel Agrax Earthshade

Name:	gw99189953011.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	9486
    Most people already use this, but it is awesome enough to warrant mentioning. I have not met a model that could not be improved with a little bit of this stuff. I put this on everything. Great for quickly shading nearly ANY color. It isn't fancy, but if you are painting Troops or other numerous minis, this will get the shading job done quick. For my Cultists, I painted base colors, shaded with Agrax Earthshade, and then picked out a few details, and I was done. Super quick. [URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/popg0estheworld/media/40K/Nurgle084.jpg.html][/URL]

6.) Magnifying Lamp

Name:	MagnifyingLamp.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	9487
    This is the priciest item on my list, but it is well worth the investment. Nothing substitutes for doing micro-detail work (eyes, etc). It is hard to describe exactly how this improves your experience, but it takes the things you are working on, and makes them look BIGGER and BRIGHTER. Okay, it is not that hard. Still, this is a purchase you will be glad you made. Put it on your Amazon wishlist or something, maybe Santa will bring you one.

7.) Self-Healing Cutting Mat

Name:	58909-1001-1-3ww-l.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	9488
    Anyone who does papercraft or styrene work can attest to the importance of one of these. Makes cutting easier, and catches your blade when you slip. I'm a slob, so I even paint over mine, and it is still fine. I use these as a foundation for all of my operations. A cheap, easy way to class up your work space.

I'm sure there are many other items that everyone will attest are super important, but these are a few of the things that I think many beginners don't know they should have (except Agrax Earthshade. Everybody knows about that, but it is still great).

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't mean for that UHU picture to be so huge, but its size is equal to its awesomeness.

I think you need to add head lamp to your list. A hands-free light that attaches to your head and won't cause your hands to cast annoying shadows? YES. They can also be obtained for ~$15 USD. Also useful for house & auto repairs and hunting for Sasquatch.

1.) Tamiya Clear Red

Name:	v-tam81527.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	9483
    Want to paint blood? Here you go. No hassle, perfect blood every damn time. This stuff even "coagulates" in the cap like real blood. Perfect texture, gloss, and thickness. Try it, I promise you will not be disappointed.

I would like to add. A mixture. Of Tamiya. Smoke and the clear read. 4/1 red being the larger. Also make it looks like a artial blood great for ogres

Battle-Brother

I find that magnifying desk lamps get in the way. I prefer to use a good pair of magnifying reading glasses that are 2 to 3.25 x magnifacation do the trick quite nicely without breaking the bank.

Darn my phone needs to show me these msg posted. Srry for the 15 msgs
    Last edited by obrinian; 06-21-2014 at 05:00 PM.

The Tamiya paint is awesome been using it for years. But. Another color. You might want to add is smoke.... then with a 4/1 mixture. Of it and clear red. It looks amazing

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by NonComPoop View Post
    I find that magnifying desk lamps get in the way. I prefer to use a good pair of magnifying reading glasses that are 2 to 3.25 x magnifacation do the trick quite nicely without breaking the bank.
    I use 2 at the same time for minute details..lets say the magnification is...extreme.

I expect the US UHU to be the one that give you face cancer the rules and regs in the EU are seriously strict... where as in the US ... well I know that any food manufacturer can make pretty much any claim they want on foodstuffs...
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLxHgsEjzw[/url]

But I agree otherwise, don't know if I can get that UHU in the UK though, it looks great though .
    Last edited by maxxev; 06-21-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk

Great adds, all! I've never used a headlamp or glasses because I feel like THOSE get in the way- matter of opinion, I suppose. Maybe all of the above, and you can reach singularity with your painting setup.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by maxxev View Post
    I expect the US UHU to be the one that give you face cancer the rules and regs in the EU are seriously strict... where as in the US ... well I know that any food manufacturer can make pretty much any claim they want on foodstuffs...
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLxHgsEjzw[/url]

But I agree otherwise, don't know if I can get that UHU in the UK though, it looks great though .
    The Uhu you can easily get in the UK is the right one, I've used it for zombies and nurgle stuff, for miniatures you handle often, its not a great effect, but its brilliant for display pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast