BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Help me choose -- Militarum Tempestus or CSM

Hi All,

I've been on the fence for which army to choose in 7th edition. I'm a lifelong Ork player who is coming back after a two edition hiatus and with the new edition, it's time to start a new army.

The two I am currently looking at are Militarum Tempestus or Alpha Legion Chaos Space Marines (i'm also kicking around Space Wolves/Orks still..). Please provide your insight into the pros/cons and force me into a decision (i've been trying to make up my damn mind for almost 3 months now.)

Cheers

Brother-Captain

I'd say Neither. If you want a hard hitting army that can also put a lot of models down on the ground -- not to mention the fact that you're coming back to the game now -- I'd suggest regular, vanilla Marines. Black Templar being my particular favorite and suggestion.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Occuli Imperator

What do you think looks cool and would like to paint?

How do you like to play the game?

Which backstory do you like the most and is it important to you?

These are the three questions that I always ask when someone asks what army they should start.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

It's going to be hard for anyone to help really. The best way is to step back and consider the following:

How do you see yourself playing with an army?
    What colour scheme appeals?
    Are you comfortable playing what are basically Space Marines?
    Are you a 'get in their face and fight' player or a stand back and shoot? Or maybe a mix of both. Tbh CC took a nerf in 6th that hasn't gone away in 7th.
    Also if you are an Ork player; the new codex is out Saturday and looks pretty balanced.

Another way is to proxy a list or 2 and play some games. See how you fare with the different armies you want to play. I guess I was lucky in a way when I chose; I got AoBR box and since I already liked the marines it took off from there. I don't win many games I admit; I think partly my armies are too 'it's what I liked so it's in there' and too many armies now. But I do enjoy 7th and that at the end of it all has to be what it comes down to. What do you actually 'want' to play as. Not 'how good is it' unless you only get a kick out of winning, but what really in the end appeals. Most armies can be made to win one way and another, not sure about MT as they don't really have a lot of options; but then if you have been out of it for a couple of editions; you'll quickly find that any gaps now can be plugged with allies. Whatever you choose, and however you choose it; good luck with it.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd say Astra Militarum, the codex, here's why:

1. Options; armored battlegroup? Tread head? Blobs? Elites? The possibilities are endless!

B. Forces of the Imperium; if you decide to take allies, you have a larger number of options, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Imperial Knights, Inquisition list goes on and on.

Variety is the spice of life, Astra Militarum gives that to you.

But whatever your choice, here's hoping you have a fun time creating it, putting it together, and enjoying it!

Brother-Sergeant

I have to ask, are you considering the Astra Militarum or the Militarum Tempestus? The two terms are not interchangeable. If you want to go with the MT, it will be a small force if you use the standard FoC lists. Under the standard FoC lists, you will have a maximum total of 66 infantry models (Commissar, Scion command squad, and 6 standard squads of Scions), 6 Taurox Primes, and 9 Valkyries.