BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Still wrapping mind around Psychic rules

A few things I'm still trying to wrap my head around with the psychic rules.

1. At what point are psychic powers generated while organizing the game? This is really important with Eldar warlocks that are going to be assigned to units.

2. Is there any restriction that prevents a unit of Jetbikes from moving flat out in the shooting phase after an attached Warlock uses a power in the psychic phase?

3. Do Come the Apoc allied Psykers share the same Warp Charge pool?

4. Can a Greater Daemon summoned by Possession Charge the turn it arrives? It doesn't arrive via deep strike so I would guess that it can. Now assuming it can, does it matter what the Psyker did beforehand? For example what if a psyker disembarks from a non assault vehicle in the movement phase then calls up the greater Daemon?

Help clarifying any of the above would be much appreciated!

1) Before you assign them as you assign them during deployment and rolling for powers is before that. (Psykers generate their psychic powers before the game begins.)

2) Nope. (Manifesting witchfire powers does not prevent the Psyker (or his unit) from firing weapons in the following Shooting phase, nor does it prevent the Psyker’s unit from Running, Turbo-boosting or moving Flat Out. )

3) Yes, Its still the same army.

4) No. Its a conjuration and conjurations are deepstrikes (When the power is resolved, the new unit then arrives via Deep Strike, within the power’s maximum range; )

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    1) Before you assign them as you assign them during deployment and rolling for powers is before that. (Psykers generate their psychic powers before the game begins.)

2) Nope. (Manifesting witchfire powers does not prevent the Psyker (or his unit) from firing weapons in the following Shooting phase, nor does it prevent the Psyker’s unit from Running, Turbo-boosting or moving Flat Out. )

3) Yes, Its still the same army.

4) No. Its a conjuration and conjurations are deepstrikes (When the power is resolved, the new unit then arrives via Deep Strike, within the power’s maximum range; )
    Thanks mate! #1-3 are huge for a weird Eldar build I am working on. I'm glad #4 works like that too... just need to plan out those possessions well!

Did I read it correctly that a newly created unit in the psychic phase can cast powers other than conjurations?

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Are you sure rolling for powers is before deployment? I thought you were stuck rolling for Warlock powers after they were assigned to squads. The rules aren't very clear on what order you complete steps in leading up to the start of a game. But I was taking "before the game begins" to be after deployment and before the first turn.

Deployment already is a part of the game as you use USR like Infiltration.
    Also the Warlock entry states that you buy a warlock council and attach the individual warlocks to the units after warlord traits have been rolled (which happens before deplayment).
    And last but not least the terrain rules (battlefield) use the same phrase (The battlefield over which your game is played must be set up before the game begins.). and I dont think someone wants to argue to set up terrain after deployment.

I think the biggest issue with the Psychic powers is that you either build for them or they are largely unreliable, i.e. "get lucky" abilities. I have played enough games against people who brought only 1-4 Warp Charges to know how little a return they get on it. I have found that one needs to bring 6-9 Warp Charges to really be assured of getting a reliable return on the Phase.

Quote Originally Posted by bjweikel View Post
    Are you sure rolling for powers is before deployment? I thought you were stuck rolling for Warlock powers after they were assigned to squads. The rules aren't very clear on what order you complete steps in leading up to the start of a game. But I was taking "before the game begins" to be after deployment and before the first turn.
    Quoted from the 7th Ed Rulebook, page 23:
    Psykers generate powers before the game begins.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the Psychic powers is that you either build for them or they are largely unreliable, i.e. "get lucky" abilities. I have played enough games against people who brought only 1-4 Warp Charges to know how little a return they get on it. I have found that one needs to bring 6-9 Warp Charges to really be assured of getting a reliable return on the Phase.
    Even with what little I've played in 7th I totally agree! The psychic rules encourage you to go big or go home. A unit of 10 warlocks all choosing the same power have a reasonable (83.8%) chance of rolling it at least 1 time and should get it on the average 1.67 times plus they generate 10 Warp Charge for their betters. Although when you go for psychic domination it leaves you pretty short on the points for other goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Even with what little I've played in 7th I totally agree! The psychic rules encourage you to go big or go home. A unit of 10 warlocks all choosing the same power have a reasonable (83.8%) chance of rolling it at least 1 time and should get it on the average 1.67 times plus they generate 10 Warp Charge for their betters. Although when you go for psychic domination it leaves you pretty short on the points for other goodies!
    Just don't keep your 10 warlocks together as a unit; otherwise they only get 1 try at said power.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Just don't keep your 10 warlocks together as a unit; otherwise they only get 1 try at said power.
    Solid advice! I totally screwed this up the first time I ran them. I'm playing around with 10 Warlocks rolling on Daemonolgy specifically looking for Possession. Any that get it are split off to other units where you can pop a few greater daemons out on turn 1. Nothing more ridiculous then expensive Daemons appearing out of cheap Warlocks.