BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Perhaps including a number of lone pyrovores in an unbound detachment could provide a decent secondary threat. Nobody is really going to want to waste a unit's shooting at a single pyrovore, but if they are ignored and allowed to flame and charge/explode they could cause a decent amount of damage to infantry. If they do start to focus on that threat, each pyrovore is probably saving a number of gaunts' lives.

Not worth going unbound (and thus losing objective secured) for pyrovores.

What psychic powers might help Pyrovores? Being a Necron player, I'm not at all familiar with the psychics.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Zone Mortallis is the place to use Pyrovores, they're scary as hell in that, hard to shoot until they're in your face and then they get Shred on their attacks, nice little surprise for people.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 06-26-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Not worth going unbound (and thus losing objective secured) for pyrovores.
    Perhaps it might work if you're already basing your army on a sky swarm with objective secured gargoyles.

Good point about Zone Mortalis, or other similarly densely terrained game boards. Any template weapon does well in such environs, and one that can (albeit fairly feebly) fight back is worth considering. And again, the acid blood can potentially pay dividends.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

The only way I would use them in a game is a behind the lines type game. Where a group infiltrates behind the Tyranid lines looking for the wounded or an artifact of a fallen hero ect... Pyrovores job is to digest the dead enemy for easier consumption by the Hive. And in the fluff they are found eating the fallen away from the heavy fighting. This way they can be used in small points games in a "narrative" fashion

I think that all the tyranid needed was an across the board troop type: BEASTS! It would have not been all that hard to sell after the Eldar run/shoot thing... Back in the days of 2nd Ed tyranid troops/infrantry moved faster than all others... 6 Vs 4 for most. This made up for the overall lack of vehicles to help move the army forwards faster.

I'm going to suggest something and I'm not being sarcastic. I don't think you will ever make a silk purse out of this sow's ear as far as rules and battlefield application. I do think it is a cool model and that getting the most out of it would be using it for some really cool conversions. It could be taken apart, chop shop style, for individual parts. It could be converted to be used as a unique version of something else. I think that gun removed from it would be splendid as one of the larger shooting weapons on bigger, nastier monsters. I also think the core body of the Pyrovore could be made into some really interesting versions of Tyrant Guard. Where the gun used to emerge from, for example, would be an awesome place to have Lash Whips snaking out in a crazy snarl.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 06-26-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I'm going to suggest something and I'm not being sarcastic. I don't think you will ever make a silk purse out of this sow's ear as far as rules and battlefield application.
    It could be used but it would require something from both the controller and your opponent. Both would have to be taking 1 or more sub optimal units. Mandrakes, flash gits, flayed ones, etc would then get to be used on a semi regular basis.

Also, how would it do in kill team? Could it redeem itself there?

In kill team you have lots of single models (bad for template).
    You can still get shot by more than one model nad if you get killed in melee your acid also will only kill one model.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast