BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting little thing I found that could be argued 2 ways; keep it civil

Right, under reserves it looks for all intents and purposes like if a DS unit mishaps into Ongoing reserves it now has to walk on from the owning players table edge. That also includes Mawloc burrowing and the swooping Hawks bugging out and coming back in.

However; under the psychic powers there's a suggestion that maybe, just maybe that wasn't RAI, as a unit conjured deep strikes within x" of the psyker; but if it goes into ongoing reserves (that's the key, it specifically mentions 'ongoing' reserves) it can then DS anywhere on the table when it arrives.

Now is that just poor wording under the ongoing reserves rules so that once again RAW and RAI don't match up, or is it actually specific to conjured units?
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Occuli Imperator

Conjuring is a special case of deep striking.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

"Units in Ongoing Reserve always enter play at the start of their controlling player's following turn, but otherwise follow the normal rules for Reserves."

If you can Deep Strike from Reserves then you can Deep Strike from Ongoing Reserves, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Right, under reserves it looks for all intents and purposes like if a DS unit mishaps into Ongoing reserves it now has to walk on from the owning players table edge.
    Where do you read that?
    The only exception I can see is outflank which mentions specifically "if the unit enters by reserve and not by ongoing reserve..."

I can see the confusion but actually it's quite clear:

The Reserves rule states that units arriving from reserve MUST arrive from the players table edge
    Ongoing Reserves follows the above rule too, once in Ongoing Reserves you follow the rules for Reserves.

However models with the Deep Strike Special rule (depending on whether the unit must or can choose to) may arrive from reserve using the Deep Strike special rule. The only stipulation is that you MUST tell your opponent that the unit is Deep Striking when placing the unit in reserves.
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    I can see the confusion but actually it's quite clear:

The Reserves rule states that units arriving from reserve MUST arrive from the players table edge
    Ongoing Reserves follows the above rule too, once in Ongoing Reserves you follow the rules for Reserves.

However models with the Deep Strike Special rule (depending on whether the unit must or can choose to) may arrive from reserve using the Deep Strike special rule. The only stipulation is that you MUST tell your opponent that the unit is Deep Striking when placing the unit in reserves.
    It just strikes me that 'normal rules for reserves' indicates more clearly than 6th ed did that it specifically means you come on from your table edge; so in the case of a DS unit or the Mawloc burrowing or Swooping Hawks using their leap ability; all now follow the 'normal rules for reserves' once they do so, which indicates that Hawks/Mawloc are a one shot wonder now even if they survive that; and DS units such as terminators are (narratively speaking of course) so far off course they had to walk onto the field of battle.

It no longer says they 'enter play from reserves 'as normal'' like it used to but 'follow the normal rules for reserves' and that is quite definitely the 'normal' rule.

Heck I'd like to be able to shoot my Mawloc off and come up under another unit, but this implies that is no longer allowed unlike in 5th ed and even 6th where they 'arrived as normal' so the definition of 'normal' was a bit grey. This is quite clear what 'normal' means compared to 6th ed. But although it is RAW, is it RAI? Or should those misshaping termies come in as a DS unit next time around again? And can a Mawloc that doesn't die or get locked in CC vanish and do the same trick a second time? Ditto Swooping Hawks, can they DS again using their grenade pack?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    It just strikes me that 'normal rules for reserves' indicates more clearly than 6th ed did that it specifically means you come on from your table edge; so in the case of a DS unit or the Mawloc burrowing or Swooping Hawks using their leap ability; all now follow the 'normal rules for reserves' once they do so, which indicates that Hawks/Mawloc are a one shot wonder now even if they survive that; and DS units such as terminators are (narratively speaking of course) so far off course they had to walk onto the field of battle.

It no longer says they 'enter play from reserves 'as normal'' like it used to but 'follow the normal rules for reserves' and that is quite definitely the 'normal' rule.

Heck I'd like to be able to shoot my Mawloc off and come up under another unit, but this implies that is no longer allowed unlike in 5th ed and even 6th where they 'arrived as normal' so the definition of 'normal' was a bit grey. This is quite clear what 'normal' means compared to 6th ed. But although it is RAW, is it RAI? Or should those misshaping termies come in as a DS unit next time around again? And can a Mawloc that doesn't die or get locked in CC vanish and do the same trick a second time? Ditto Swooping Hawks, can they DS again using their grenade pack?
    I think your argument risks becoming obtuse....

There is nothing in the normal rules for Reserves preventing the secondary use of the Deep Strike special rule, the only requirement is to tell your opponent that the unit will arrive from Reserve by Deep Strike...fully in accordance with the normal rules for Reserves...

In fact there's absolutely no rule anywhere in the book or even an implicit suggestion that Deep Strike is a one time shot thing, I think it's crazy that you'd suggest so. With absolutely no precedence in the rule book I can see you creating quite a stir if you try and play it that way......
    http://bloodshadowsm41.blogspot.co.uk

Way to much "wishthinking" on your part.
    If it was like that, DS would be impossible anyways as the "normal" rule is: walk in from table edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Shadow View Post
    I think your argument risks becoming obtuse....

There is nothing in the normal rules for Reserves preventing the secondary use of the Deep Strike special rule, the only requirement is to tell your opponent that the unit will arrive from Reserve by Deep Strike...fully in accordance with the normal rules for Reserves...

In fact there's absolutely no rule anywhere in the book or even an implicit suggestion that Deep Strike is a one time shot thing, I think it's crazy that you'd suggest so. With absolutely no precedence in the rule book I can see you creating quite a stir if you try and play it that way......
    Like I said, happy if that's right, I have both Swooping Hawks in my Eldar and a Mawloc in my Tyranids that would love it that way; but when you read the DS rules then go on to read Ongoing reserves it suggests you forego the DS if you mishap. Otherwise again the conjuration version would not need to tell you that you can DS if you mishap surely? Like I said, if I'm wrong then great, blooming awesome in fact, as the Hawks can drop pack after pack of grenades on their hapless foes, and Mo can keep munching her way through as many units as she can survive doing it to.

I still dont see where your "rule" should be?
    If you mishap you go in ongoing reserve. Ongoing reserve states that you handle it like reserves. Deepstrike allows you to deepstike instead of following the reserve rules. There is no word about ongoing reserves disallow anything or follows other rules.
    By your logic deepstriking would be impossible altogether, not only in ongoing reserve.
    If ongoing reserve is handeled different it is stated like the outflank rule which says you may outflank from reserves but not from ongoing reserves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast