BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1500 points SoB

Just basic about mechanics but especially about tactical part of their use.
    SoB ia VERY rare army in my country so almos any info will be greatly appreciated

What do you think if I'll give an VSS not Brazer of Holly Fire but combi-melta ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spellscape View Post
    SoB ia VERY rare army in my country so almos any info will be greatly appreciated
    Well, the mechanics are as spelled out on page 18. I'm not really sure I can do a better job of summarizing that than the page already does, so unless you have any specific questions I won't try.

I don't play Sisters myself, so I don't claim to be an expert about Faith tactics. I can offer a few general suggestions from from being on the receiving end of things, though, that you can take for whatever they're worth.

One is that skill at using Faith powers really can make the difference between victory and defeat for a Sisters army. I mention that to encourage you that there really is skill there and it really does matter, so if you find yourself losing with your sisters the use of your Faith powers is an area of your army worth serious thought.

Two is that a lot of beginning Sisters players are too timid in their use of Faith points. There's a tendency to feel like you need to hoard them until the critical moment, and I'd encourage you to fight that tendency. Not that you should never hoard your Faith points, but in general I think it's better to err on the side of running out than losing with Faith unspent.

Three, and I hope this is obvious, is that Divine Guidance really can let you answer to power armor with small arms. Three hits from a DG-boosted flamer or bolter has a slightly better chance of killing a MEQ than a single hit from a meltagun. That doesn't mean you should never take melta, of course; you still need it for vehicles. It does mean that meltaguns are not necessarily your weapon of choice for killing infantry, though, even power-armored infantry.

Four, remember that you need to be thinking a few steps ahead in the use of some Faith powers. Read page 18 and pay attention to when you'd need to declare their use. Divine Guidance can be declared after you find out how many hits you've scored, which is quite nice. Spirit of the Martyr needs to be declared at the start of the phase, before any attacks have even been made. I've seen friends lose units they didn't have to because they forgot about that distinction.

HI Spellscape! I have a real love for all things Inquisition, so I'll be happy to help you with your Sisters of Battle list. I'm excited that you are taking up the torch (no pun intended).

1. Your Canoness build is pretty good. I'd find two extra points for Frag Grenades and a Bolt Pistol (takes advantave of her BS5 -- a great deal for 1pt).

2. Every mounted Battle Sisters squad should have a Heavy Flamer and Meltagun. The meltagun is a must have. You should always have a Bolter on your VSS (instead of a Bolt Pistol), every Divinely Guided shot counts. You can still have a Brazier (or a Combi-Flamer)

3. Extra Armor is a must have for Battle Sisters Rhinos.

4. Veteran Sister Superiors in your Battle Sisters squads don't need anything more than a Bolter and Book of St Lucius. If you have extra points and want to add something, go with a Brazier (or Combi-Flamer). Don't bother with Power Weapons or other upgrades.

5. I prefer 7 or 8-man Seraphim squads (that maximizes your chance of getting much needed Acts of Faith). Six is too small and 10 is too large. I tend to use 8, so I can have a casualty and still have a decent chance of getting Divine Guidance off.

6. This is the age of the flamer. I heavily recommend Hand Flamers over Inferno Pistols. Don't mix and match special weapons. Whatever you decide, go with 2.

7. You don't need to buy Frag Grenades for your Seraphim or the VSS (they come with the squad).

8. Personally, I don't think you need an Eviscerator on your Seraphim VSS. There shouldn't be enough left of the squad to require a S6 Power Weapon. If you want to spend some points on her, go with a simple Power Weapon.

9. Drop the Pintle Mounted Storm Bolters from your Exorists. They'll never fire and are a waste of points.

Your Canoness is probably the most effective (and versatile) close combat character in the game, for the points. She can have a 2+ invulnerable save when she needs it and she can pump her weapon up tp S7 or I6. She can kill (or slow down) just about any close combat heavy by herself.

There are a couple of different way to use your Canoness, but I'll tell you how I use mine 75% of the time:

I attach her to my 8-man Seraphim squad for most of the game. Then, on the turn I intend to assault, I want to move her just out of coherency with the Seraphim (into a good location to assault that's out of flamer template range). This allows them to assault separately (and lets the Seraphim retain their Hit and Run ability). My Seraphim use Divine Guidance flamers to devastate the target.

Since I make the assault 90% of the time, I make sure that my Canoness doesn't end up in base contact with any S6+ weapons. If I manage to keep her out of base contact with power weapons, then I don't bother to use Faith on her (but will generally use Spirit of the Martyr on my Seraphim to give them a 3+ invulnerable save).

Then in my opponent's assault phase, I use hit and run on the Seraphim and leave the Canoness in close combat with the squad. Usually she's tough enough to wipe out the squad on her own at this point and the Seraphim move on to shoot Divinely Guided flamers at another poor target.

If I don't get two shots from my Seraphim in a game, I feel cheated. They are one of my favorite units.

Let me know if this makes sense!

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Can someone explain to me what and how to correctly use Act Of Faith ?
    How Canoness can have two handed and one-handed weapons simultaneously?
    In the Witch Hunters codex, the armory allows characters to have two weapons, one of which may be two handed.

Just not sure what pistols give to canoness
    A bolt pistol. Don't waste points on another pistol.

In general, you are going to use Divine Guidance on your rapid-firing Battle Sisters squads. Drive up both squads, get out and nail a squad (or two) with divinely guided flamer templates and bolter shots.

You may have to spend a faith point on Spirit of the Martyr to keep them intact until they get into flamer range. Once they get there, you'll use Divine Guidance to pump up their shots and assault with them. If there's a Power Fist or Power Weapon in the target squad, you'll use Spirit of the Martyr to keep them alive.

Then at the end of your opponent's Assault Phase, you'll use Hit and Run (which allows you to start the process all over again -- move, divine guidance, shoot, assault, spirit of the martyr, etc.).

You don't really need any other faith in most games, but from time to time you'll use other powers to get a booth.

The real secret is making sure you use ALL of your faith in a game, but not wasting it too early. It will take a few games to get the hang of it, but you'll get it.

Sisters of Battle are not a great army for beginning players. If you are learning the game AND learning how to use Sisters, you'll have a bunch of frustration. Just be patient and it will come.

What do you think if I'll give an VSS not Brazer of Holly Fire but combi-melta ?
    I prefer Bolters on my VSS, but if you want a special weapon go with with Combi-flamer or Bolter and Brazier. You want to make sure that your Battle Sister VSSs have Bolters.

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Thank you all for answers , my current main army is Tyranids, so I can't say that I'm really newbie. SoB is very expensive army and I know only one player in Ukraine who plays it(at least most of the time) and he has too much proxies in it - so I can't rely on his playing ideas. I've bought Sisters even before Tyranids (I have all models I need for this list) but only now I'm sure that I can paint sisters well

Again Thank you for all tips.

I know this is not 1500 but 1750 armies from European Warhammer 40K tournament but here is two builds I really liked - and with some modification I can use them as 1500 or even 2000 (if 2000) I really would like more Seraphims

PLAYER 6: (Jimmy, Pihl, Nialion)
    ARMY DESCRIPTION : (Witch Hunters)
    HQ1 : Saint Celestine [201 p]
    HQ2 : Cannonnes (45 p), Eviscerator (25 p), Book of St.Lucius (5 p), Cloak of st.Aspira (20 p), Jumppack (20 p), Mantle of Ophelia (15 p), Melta bombs (5 p). [135 p]
    Elite1 : Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor (20 p), Hammerhand (10 p), Excruciators (5 p). [35 p]
    Elite2 : Callidus Temple Assassin (120 p]
    Troop 1 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), Heavy Flamer (12 p), Meltagun (10 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [166 p]
    Troop 2 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), Heavy Flamer (12 p), Meltagun (10 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [166 p]
    Troop 3 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), 2x Meltagun (20 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [164 p]
    FA1: Seraphim Squad 6 (132 p), Veteran Sister Superior (10 p), Twin hand flamers (7 p), Twin Inferno pistols (15 p), Power Weapon (10 p), Meltabombs (5 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p) [184 p]
    HS1: Exorcist [135 p]
    HS2: Exorcist [135 p]
    HS3: Exorcist [135 p]
    Transport1 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 1 [58 p]
    Transport2 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 2 [58 p]
    Transport3 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 1 [58 p]
    TOTAL [1750 p]

2nd
    ARMY DESCRIPTION : (Witch Hunters)
    HQ1 : Saint Celestine [201 p]
    HQ2 : Cannonnes (45 p), Eviscerator (25 p), Book of St.Lucius (5 p), Cloak of st.Aspira (20 p), Jumppack (20 p), Mantle of Ophelia (15 p), Melta bombs (5 p). [135 p]
    Elite1 : Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor (20 p), Hammerhand (10 p), Excruciators (5 p). [35 p]
    Elite2 : Callidus Temple Assassin (120 p]
    Troop 1 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), Heavy Flamer (12 p), Meltagun (10 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [166 p]
    Troop 2 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), Heavy Flamer (12 p), Meltagun (10 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [166 p]
    Troop 3 : Battle Sister Squad 10 (110 p), Veteran Sister Superior (14 p), 2x Meltagun (20 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p), Combi-Meltagun (15 p) [164 p]
    FA1: Seraphim Squad 6 (132 p), Veteran Sister Superior (10 p), Twin hand flamers (7 p), Twin Inferno pistols (15 p), Power Weapon (10 p), Meltabombs (5 p), Book of st.Lucius (5 p) [184 p]

HS1: Exorcist [135 p]
    HS2: Exorcist [135 p]
    HS3: Exorcist [135 p]
    Transport1 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 1 [58 p]
    Transport2 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 2 [58 p]
    Transport3 : Rhino (50 p), Extra Armour (5 p), Smoke Launchers (3 p), Transports Troop 1 [58 p]
    TOTAL [1750 p]

What do you think of equipment in both builds (you can ignore Celestine and Inquisitor)

Also can I use VSS with Chainsword and Canoness with Eviscerator as blessed weapon on tournaments?
    Can I use VSS with Chainsword as Eviscerator ? Is it OK or other players may protest?

I am just getting in to 40K and the Penitent Engine is the unit that grabbed me. So I start collecting Sisters and then find out the PE is a unit that isn't worth it's point cost. Oh well, the new pipe organ Exorcist tank makes up for it in "coolness" factor.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on here and feel better about my choice of using a Cononess and Seraphim squads as my main power forces.

Yes I've also painted Penitent engine

By the way - here I'll post my SoB works
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=7971#post7971[/url]

Yes I've also painted Penitent engine

By the way - here I'll post my SoB works
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=7971#post7971[/url]
    Did you model the actual penitent like the triangle head monster in Silent Hill? Nice.

I read your post on your blog and it doesn't seem we will be getting a Witch Hunter update for quite a while. In fact, all signs are pointing to a Demon Hunter/Witch Hunter merge to just the Inquisition.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast