BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1500 points SoB

I never played Silent Hillso really don't know - just painted as I wanted

Yes I painted it long ago and only now felt that I'm ready to paint Sisters Of Battle.
    Any way they part of the Inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by Spellscape View Post
    I know this is not 1500 but 1750 armies from European Warhammer 40K tournament but here is two builds I really liked - and with some modification I can use them as 1500 or even 2000 (if 2000) I really would like more Seraphims
    I collect sisters myself since a few years now and shortly after the release of the 5th edition I dropped my two seraphim squads from my army lists and added more immolators. There are also competitive SoB lists which completly base upon the immolators (if I remember it correctly there is a guy named St.John who runs 11 Immolators and is quite successful with it).

I myself field 4 Immolators (3 of them with 5 Celestians and two meltaguns each, 1 with Canoness and Celestian Retinue), 3 standard sister squads driving around in Rhinos (or Repressors if I am aloud to) and up to 3 exorcists.

I also love the Penitent Engines models (got 3 of them) but I field them only in Apoc games.

Quote Originally Posted by prophet665 View Post
    I am just getting in to 40K and the Penitent Engine is the unit that grabbed me.
    Feel free to post your army list, or PM me with any questions you have. I've been playing WHs for a long time and am a pretty good sounding board.

Yes I've also painted Penitent engine
    That Penitent Engine is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest of your Sisters army when it's done! Make sure to post updates in the painting section!

I have three PEs that I almost never get to play with, but I love the way they look. The last time I played with them was in a 5,000pt Apocalypse game. I took all three and they managed to destroy a single Rhino, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    There are also competitive SoB lists which completly base upon the immolators (if I remember it correctly there is a guy named St.John who runs 11 Immolators and is quite successful with it).
    You're thinking of stjohn70. He's a big advocate of mech sisters and has done pretty well with mechanized lists. He had a 4E Immolator list that went something like this:

1750 Witch Hunters

HQ
    Palatine (Boler Book of St Lucius)
    Retinue: 5 Celestian Bodyguard (2 Meltaguns)
    Transport: Immolator (Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers)

ELITES
    5 Celestians (2 Meltaguns)
    Transport: Immolator (as above)

TROOPS
    10 Battle Sisters (Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, VSS w/BoSL
    Transport: Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers)

10 Battle Sisters (Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, VSS w/BoSL
    Transport: Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers)

FAST
    5 Dominions (2 Flamers)

5 Dominions (2 Flamers)

5 Dominions (2 Flamers)

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Immolator
    Immolator
    Immolator

The last time I heard him talk about the list he'd won like 90% of this games with the list. I don't think it would hold up as well in 5E (or in 2,000pt games), but I've never fielded more than 4 Immolators so I have no idea.

--MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

I also like Immolators - but for now I'll wait till I finish at least 2 squads of sisters and 1 Exorcist to play in 1000 games.

Is it at least possible (they don't all die in the way) to use Repentia or Arco flagelants? Any Ideas how to use them?

Surely my main force is Sisters squads - but I'd like some fun games too

I also like Immolators - but for now I'll wait till I finish at least 2 squads of sisters and 1 Exorcist to play in 1000 games.

Is it at least possible (they don't all die in the way) to use Repentia or Arco flagelants? Any Ideas how to use them?

Surely my main force is Sisters squads - but I'd like some fun games too
    This is my problem also. I want to use the "cool" units, but it seems that they just aren't very useful. I would love to field a close combat Sisters army using Penitent Engines and arco-flagellates combined with a Vindicare Assassin or 3 Death Cult Assassins.

Would that even be a viable team? Maybe in a lower point (1000) game? Or would it be better combined with other forces in a larger game (1500 -2000 points)?

only real working assassin is Calidus - as for others - I don't think for Elites 100+ points are good for small games 1500 an higher probably

Arcos are a bit more survivable than Repentia, but neither are ideal in competitive games. The only use I've found for either in 5E is using them as allies in an Imperial Guard army. If you take Creed as your commander, he can give the Scout ability to one unit in his army. This will allow you to get a scout move or outflank with Repentia or Arcos.

I've done this with a 10-man squad of Repentia and it's nasty (I can't imagine how terrible it would be with a 20-man squad). It could also be effective with Arcos or Zealots.

only real working assassin is Calidus - as for others - I don't think for Elites 100+ points are good for small games 1500 an higher probably
    I think all of the assassins (except Deathcult Assassins) have a place in 5E. You just have to build a decent army around them.

-- MKerr

I hear about all these armies having special characters and it seems that the SoB have a distinct lack of uber-characters other than Lord Karamazov and St. Celestine.

Am I missing something?

If you about Witchhunters - than yes - they have only these two. For me Karamasov is Great model but in game - point sink. About Celestine I don't sure - can anyone share experience about her?
    I got both models (I even painted Celestine 2 years ago - and now I think that I'll paint here again)

I'll post my 1st SoB in my painting blog here
    [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=904[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by prophet665 View Post
    I hear about all these armies having special characters and it seems that the SoB have a distinct lack of uber-characters other than Lord Karamazov and St. Celestine.
    The "dawn of the special character" came after the Witch Hunter and Daemonhunters codices were writtern. It's a real shame, too -- it would've been fantastic to have some great Inquisitorial characters to work with (especially ones as "army"-oriented as the new Space Marine and Imperial Guard special characters).

KARAMAZOV isn't a lot of help for a Witch Hunters player (especially for that hefty 205pt price). He's got two things going for him. The first is his BS5 master-crafted Multi-melta (that he can shoot on the move). That's not too shabby. The second is his Uncompromising aura that lets all friendly units within 12" re-roll Morale and Pinning tests.

The former is useful in just about any army and the latter is fantastic when you have a lot of Inducted Guard to keep on the table. Personally, I'd rather have just about any HQ in town but if I had to use Karamazov, I'd surround him with Inducted Guard in Chimeras with lots of Meltaguns.

CELESTINE is a bit more useful than our monstrous Inquisitor friend. She's still pricey, especially compared to the 122pt Canoness she replaces. But she has a few perks:

a) +1WS and +1I -- both very important to a close combat character.

b) She has hit and run, which means you don't have to do the pre-assault dance with your Canoness + Seraphim unit. She can stay in coherency and benefit from Faith. This saves you at least 1-2 faith points per game.

c) She's Fearless and conveys that to the squad she joins. That's pretty awesome because there's nothing more frustrating than having your Seraphim fall back 3d6".

d) The extra early Faith point is nice, but losing her will wipe you out. If your opponent gets lucky and kills her and your Faith point total dips below zero -- you can't benefit from Martyrdom for the rest of the game. Ouch!

e) The Ardent Blade extra flamer is nice (and in really big games, the Ardent Blade doesn't count as a Blessed Weapon so you aren't stuck with only one in your army).

f) Miraculous Invervention is really, really annoying. The Reserve roll can't be modified, so you don't have to worry about those annoying minuses applied by your Imperial Guard opponents. She drops in, shoots her flamer and moves 6" in the assault phase -- rinse and repeat, lol.

g) a 4+ Invulnerable save (which is generally more trouble than it's worth on a Faithful character). And the 6" assault move can be really handy, but doesn't get that much use until she comes back from Miraculous Intervention.

So of the two characters, Celestine is superior -- but she's not much better than a 122pt Canoness. I only use her in fun games (especially campaigns) when I want something different in my list. She's a BLAST in Apocalypse and Planetstrike games (especially Planetstrike where she can assault on the turn she deep strikes back in!).

-- MKerr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast